Coffee Maker... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2021, 12:43 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I use to work with a guy that didn’t drink coffee at all......... he just ate the coffee beans. I tried n gaged lol each to their own

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:54 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Chocolate coated coffee beans. Look for them.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #43

Tks gbaglo will look for them n give them a try

David
Old 07-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #44

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Mmmmmm…

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Chocolate coated coffee beans. Look for them.
They are really good. I may have had a “few” over the years.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Tks gbaglo will look for them n give them a try

David

Starbucks, CVS Pharmacy, Walmart ( Texas ).
Old 07-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #46

Trailer: 2021 5.0
In my search for a non electric coffee maker, I was able to control the outcome of the taste with the hario brand, from Japan. You must have the correct tea pot, it has to have the narrow spout.

Then right after months of searching and testing and getting it just right—-I gave up coffee and went to tea, I never even considered doing such a thing till I had a feeling it was producing the same results as one gets from sugar—the crash.

Driving while needing stimulants can have bad results, try to get accustomed to naps…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:29 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A can of Mountain Dew will keep you awake, from the sugar not caffeine....
Old 07-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A can of Mountain Dew will keep you awake, from the sugar not caffeine....
Not to mention messing up your sugar levels major then the let down after the sugar rush is over

David
Old 07-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Not to mention messing up your sugar levels major then the let down after the sugar rush is over

David
True, but IMHO the whole trip out and back is like taking a vacation from eating healthy, truck stops and fast food places will play havoc with your system. I always try to east at least one healthy meal a day, if possible while traveling.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #50

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
I know the topic of this tread was not germane to theme of this forum but this discussion turned out to be hugely helpful. When I started, I was one-click away from ordering a fancy and quite expensive electric coffee (cappuccino and latte) maker. I learned here very quickly that there might be better (and cheaper) options for our situation.

We ordered the Naka pot suggested in post #4 by David Murphy, and a milk frother that was highlighted by Glen. These items came in last week. We made our first trial cups of latte, and the experiment was very successful, aside from the fact that I had trouble falling asleep that night. The coffee was as good as what we’d get from Starbucks (I know Starbucks is hardly the epitome of quality of coffee but it somewhat holds in the US context). The only thing missing was the flower or swirl pattern My wife was disappointed when I told her that it’s a stencil rather than the skill of the barista that’s responsible for it. That I don’t have to make unnecessary maneuvers to find coffee during the drives is a huge plus.

In addition to these, a number of you made a lot of very good suggestions. We could only try one of them out (which was a resounding success) but we truly appreciated the sentiment behind so many helpful ideas. It was a minor topic here (which I might not have started had I known about the google search of the forum!), it was an example of the forum at its best. So, thank you all!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #51

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini

I’ll be expecting to see what coffee bean and grinder you choose.

You may be at the beginning of a slippery and delicious slope.

Old 07-11-2021, 11:23 AM   #52

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Thank you Steve! The YouTube video is quite good.

We might go with the hand grinder that David Murphy recommended, or just buy ground coffee and keep it in the freezer. The case for (and against) buying the grinder is precisely that we do not expect to make and drink coffee too often. So, a pack of ground coffee might be sitting a while.

Not much chance of our becoming daily coffee drinkers. My favorite drink is H2O and we get very nice teas from an estate in Darjeeling for my wife. Neither of us are likely to change in that.

But, aside from needing coffee during the long drives, we do enjoy good cafes - especially the ones with nice pastries On that score North America is a bit deficient. Europeans just do it better.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:19 PM   #53

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
The one thing we did not talk about in this thread is the coffee filter itself.

Flat bottom filters do not deliver the full bodied taste of a cone shaped filter (providing the correct grind). It's not so much how you heat up the water, although propane is quick and easy, but more about the ratio of coffee to water and the flow of water thru the coffee during the perk stage.

Everyone's taste is different. I like bold coffee but not bitter. I never boil coffee.
We've become pretty particular about our coffee. We like espresso, but if making coffee at home, we use a percolator. I know there are camp percolators, though they don't seem to work as well as the electric kind (get too hot). I've been curious about the "pour over" method I see all the hipsters getting. How does it compare? What kind of grind does it need? Thanks!
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:30 PM   #54
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
pour over is just a fancy name for hand poured filter coffee. I prefer using a Melitta style conical filter, the #4 size is good, and I use a 'one cup' filter holder that I put over a small (24 ounce) thermos. I like my filter coffee ground fairly fine, not espresso extra-fine, but medium fine.

the key to good 'pour over' is to get the water plenty hot, then dribble the hot water over the grounds quite slowly, pausing a half minute after the grounds are fully wetted but not yet soaked, this gets you the maximum extraction.

at home, we use an electric coffee maker that simulates this, it uses the Melitta #4 filter, and it gets the water properly hot, and it pauses after the first few dribbles wet the grounds before it continues. it is an 8 'cup' (really, 3-4 mugs) coffee maker, with a stainless thermos carafe.

As I find coffee is best right after its ground, when camping, I have been using a HandGround brand manual grinder, but I gather there are better options available now. I find the HandGround is adequate the medium-fine grind for hand pour drip as described above
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #55

Trailer: Escape 19
We use a travel sized Keurig. Works great with our inverter.
SHolderfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:30 AM   #56
CJW

Trailer: 2021 21C
I have to admit we got tired of disposing of coffee grounds when on the road, so against our better "what is best for the environment" judgement, bought a Keurig Slim - and buy the coffee pods that we like best - Caribou, Lavazza, Donut Shop, Tully's etc. We first bought a variety pack from Costco and from there narrowed down our favorites. i just like being able to throw away the pod (ouch- I know I can make my own but the whole point is ease on the road.) I don't think you have to buy the most expensive coffee maker, just the coffee We also have a Breville Milk Cafe Electric Frother.
CJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:38 AM   #57

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
My fall-back is the Aero coffee press. Just heat the water, pour it into the press, stir the coffee for 10 seconds, press the coffee out directly into your coffee cup, and you're finished. It makes the grounds into a small hockey-type puck that you can dispose of without any mess. I bought it at Target years ago because it looked like it was being advertised for $9.99 but it was actually $30. Totally worth it so I bought another one from Amazon; have one at home and one in the Escape
I've tried quite a few coffee makers; even had a copper Starbucks espresso machine for years, but I like the Aero just as much.
https://smile.amazon.com/AeroPress-C...6277054&sr=8-3
Old 07-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #58

Trailer: 2019 Dynamax Isata 3
Here’s a great option for making coffee in a camper when running on the inverter. It only pulls 700 watts so it takes a minute or two to make a cup but you don’t have to worry about over taxing your inverter. https://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-...%2C1497&sr=8-3
kiekhaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:58 AM   #59

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandering Minstrel View Post
My fall-back is the Aero coffee press. Just heat the water, pour it into the press, stir the coffee for 10 seconds, press the coffee out directly into your coffee cup, and you're finished. It makes the grounds into a small hockey-type puck that you can dispose of without any mess. I bought it at Target years ago because it looked like it was being advertised for $9.99 but it was actually $30. Totally worth it so I bought another one from Amazon; have one at home and one in the Escape
I've tried quite a few coffee makers; even had a copper Starbucks espresso machine for years, but I like the Aero just as much.
https://smile.amazon.com/AeroPress-C...6277054&sr=8-3
The Aeropress makes great coffee. The downside is it is small so making 2 cups of coffee takes some work. And 2 large cups of coffee is 4 times the work.
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #60
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
The Aeropress makes great coffee. The downside is it is small so making 2 cups of coffee takes some work. And 2 large cups of coffee is 4 times the work.
put double the coffee in it, use the 'aeropress inverted method' (look that up) to increase the steeping time... after extracting this highly concentrated coffee into one large mug, split it into two, and top both up with the remaining hot water, stir.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote