Dish ware - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2020, 08:12 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
As a cancer survivor, and someone who's spouse is battling cancer right now, I say BS. How many of those people living into their 70s, 80s, and 90s, had to deal with medical issues that might have been aggravated by all of those (gasp) items that you feel can be dismissed offhand.

BTW, I had cancer at 45 and my wife is 55 now. I wouldn't wish the 6 months of aggressive IV chemotherapy that I went through on anybody.
There are very young children who are suffering from one form of cancer or another. There are people who have lung cancer and never smoked. My spouse’s best childhood friend passed at 55 from lung cancer and never smoked. There are people who smoked like a chimney all their lives and lived cancer free into their 90s. Some people are going to be diagnosed with cancer in their 40s, others never will, because Essentially life is a crapshoot.

I do not wish what you have gone through on anyone, period. However, I think you missed my point. I would not make light of any medical problem that was brought on by something that was no fault of the afflicted person, whether it results from genetics or the environment (I have no pity for those who smoke, knowing full well that it often leads to cancer.). I have friends suffering from medical problems that can be attributed to agent orange exposure in SE Asia; some are no longer here. Lots of first responders after 9/11 have died from exposure to carcinogens encountered. I seriously doubt that either you or your spouses extremely unfortunate medical conditions were aggravated by the dishes from which you ate, or mosquito spray that you accidentally got in your mouth, but spit out. People of all ages die in automobile crashes daily. COVID-19 deaths are, as I understand, over 125,000 in the US in less than 6 months, almost double the number of American lives lost in Vietnam.

The point I was making, if you read between the lines, is that when your time is up, your time is up. I am saying the same thing now. And yes, I admit I “dismissed a few things offhand.” I would still say that using dishes that may have a minute lead content is far less risky than skydiving, unprotected sex, swimming in the ocean, flying a private plane, climbing Mount Everest or any large peak, and the list goes on and on. But I would still say that concern with lead in dishes should not be at the top of anyone’s worry list. If you feel that is BS, so be it.

I sincerely hope things turn out well for your spouse and she will soon be cancer free. And I am sure that most of the people on this forum are hoping the same and will keep both of you in their prayers.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:01 PM   #42

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
As a cancer survivor, and someone who's spouse is battling cancer right now, I say BS. How many of those people living into their 70s, 80s, and 90s, had to deal with medical issues that might have been aggravated by all of those (gasp) items that you feel can be dismissed offhand.

BTW, I had cancer at 45 and my wife is 55 now. I wouldn't wish the 6 months of aggressive IV chemotherapy that I went through on anybody.
My thought n prayers are with you n your better half. And I agree wouldn’t wish chemo on anyone.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:12 PM   #43

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Here's the quote from Corelle regarding their 'vintage' pieces. I know folks who are trying to reduce lead exposure have lauded the company for doing this, not many manufacturers will tell you how much lead is in their product but it's quite alarming. As Bob pointed out, Corelle now has very low to no lead in their products (especially the all white versions). Hope this helps, I just ordered some new Corelle for the trailer.
Kathie

“Thank you for contacting contacting Corelle Brands.
Prior to the 1990s, virtually all glass and ceramic ware made anywhere in the world contained Lead as a primary ingredient in the decorating fluxes and glazes. All our products have been Lead free since the mid-2000’s. Lead content has never been regulated until recently. We recommend using the items you have as decorative pieces. We hope this information is helpful.
This note from "Monica" at Corelle was in response to a customer's query in which the customer stated that any lead content was unacceptable to her. Such a person would want to get rid of their old Corelle pieces out of an abundance of caution. But anyone who is not quite as concerned about tiny trace amounts of lead may be reassured by the statement on Corelle's website (which padlin quoted for us) that the lead content had always been very, very low.

My daughter wrote us a couple months ago to warn us, and was subsequently disappointed when we didn't throw out our old plates.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #44

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We have been using Corelle for about 30 years now, and bring a full set as we often have company.

I will not use paper. Not only is it a environmental waste, it is really a pain to use. A quick wash of the Corelle, then a wipe dry, and they are like new still. I saw a mention regarding rinsing, that is something we never do as wiping dry right away does the trick fine.
You feel that the dish soap is removed by wiping dry quickly without rinsing? I've never tried that before. Seems like there might be a bit of unwanted flavoring present...
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:21 AM   #45

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Sorry, just gotta say this: Its simply amazing how many people are living well into their 70s and 80s, and some even into their 90s after being exposed to dishes containing lead. I remember when toothpaste came in soft metal tubes. Gee, I wonder what metal that was. The we took chemistry in high school and actually touched (gasp) mercury. Of course, that was back in the day when pharmacies sold mercurochrome, which actually contained.......well, that’s obvious from the name. And cookware containing Teflon (gasp again)? And then the cancer causing substances when fat from meat drops on hot coals and rises as smoke, flavoring the meat. Are we really panicking over the safety of dinner plates? Just sayin’......

In 1972 I was farming and audited a graduate course at the U of M called "Weed Control." I was the only farmer in the classroom and perfectly understood 90% of what was said. I could have taught most of the class. After class one day a representative of Monsanto wanted to know if I was interested in using a new chemical, glyphosate. Our farm was literally one of the first farms in the world to be given glyphosate. In 1991 I became a single parent and my father had a stroke later that year. Farming was no longer enjoyable, so I left farming in 1993, but used or bathed in glysphosate for 20 seasons. I also bathed in 2-4-D and dicamba (the latest cancer farm chemical scare) for 20+ years.

In 1996, at age 47, I was diagnosed with early onset prostate cancer. The same cancer that took Frank Zappa. My father had prostate cancer, and my brother had prostate surgery a month after my surgery. For us, it's genetic. Because of my literally zero margins, Mayo said I had a 50% chance of living five years and a 10% chance of being around in ten years. Somebody has to make the odds.

Every two-three years Mayo removes melanoma for somewhere on my body or face. I do attribute that to my farming in the sun and love of cycling and hiking. I guess you could say that's self-inflicted cancer.

My sister-in-law has had uterine cancer for over ten years. We live 40 miles from the Mayo Clinic. She stays with us whenever she has appointments at the Mayo. Depending on which chemo she's taking determines if she has hair, or if it's curly or not, or what color it is. I do feel sorry for anyone who chooses chemo and they have my sympathies. She keeps her head high though. We've had many discussions on the power of positive thinking.

At 71, I'm not going to worry about the lead in our metal/enamel/porcelain plates.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-03-2020, 10:03 AM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

In 1972 I was farming and audited a graduate course at the U of M called "Weed Control." I was the only farmer in the classroom and perfectly understood 90% of what was said. I could have taught most of the class. After class one day a representative of Monsanto wanted to know if I was interested in using a new chemical, glyphosate. Our farm was literally one of the first farms in the world to be given glyphosate. In 1991 I became a single parent and my father had a stroke later that year. Farming was no longer enjoyable, so I left farming in 1993, but used or bathed in glysphosate for 20 seasons. I also bathed in 2-4-D and dicamba (the latest cancer farm chemical scare) for 20+ years.

In 1996, at age 47, I was diagnosed with early onset prostate cancer. The same cancer that took Frank Zappa. My father had prostate cancer, and my brother had prostate surgery a month after my surgery. For us, it's genetic. Because of my literally zero margins, Mayo said I had a 50% chance of living five years and a 10% chance of being around in ten years. Somebody has to make the odds.

Every two-three years Mayo removes melanoma for somewhere on my body or face. I do attribute that to my farming in the sun and love of cycling and hiking. I guess you could say that's self-inflicted cancer.

My sister-in-law has had uterine cancer for over ten years. We live 40 miles from the Mayo Clinic. She stays with us whenever she has appointments at the Mayo. Depending on which chemo she's taking determines if she has hair, or if it's curly or not, or what color it is. I do feel sorry for anyone who chooses chemo and they have my sympathies. She keeps her head high though. We've had many discussions on the power of positive thinking.

At 71, I'm not going to worry about the lead in our metal/enamel/porcelain plates.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry,

I guess I offended or upset a member with the post you quoted. I really have much empathy for anyone with a cancer or any serious diagnosis. A person I worked with before retirement is now battling ALS, and he is in his early 40s with two preteen children. But I think you got my point. Genetics and or environmental factors are trying to kill us all, and will someday succeed. I just made light of minute amounts of lead in dinner ware as a minor to non-existent threat in comparison to greater dangers such as cancer, pandemics, automobile accidents, cardiac problems, etc.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #47

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Perry,

I guess I offended or upset a member with the post you quoted. I really have much empathy for anyone with a cancer or any serious diagnosis. A person I worked with before retirement is now battling ALS, and he is in his early 40s with two preteen children. But I think you got my point. Genetics and or environmental factors are trying to kill us all, and will someday succeed. I just made light of minute amounts of lead in dinner ware as a minor to non-existent threat in comparison to greater dangers such as cancer, pandemics, automobile accidents, cardiac problems, etc.
The point of your post was not hard to understand if one had the desire !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #48

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (June 2020..hopefully)
Actually, there was a study to determine whether any microbes are living in unwashed coffee cups (used for black coffee) and the answer was, 'No.' So all good!
Allswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #49

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Here's the quote from Corelle regarding their 'vintage' pieces. I know folks who are trying to reduce lead exposure have lauded the company for doing this, not many manufacturers will tell you how much lead is in their product but it's quite alarming. As Bob pointed out, Corelle now has very low to no lead in their products (especially the all white versions). Hope this helps, I just ordered some new Corelle for the trailer.
Kathie

“Thank you for contacting contacting Corelle Brands.
Prior to the 1990s, virtually all glass and ceramic ware made anywhere in the world contained Lead as a primary ingredient in the decorating fluxes and glazes. All our products have been Lead free since the mid-2000’s. Lead content has never been regulated until recently. We recommend using the items you have as decorative pieces. We hope this information is helpful.
Thanks for doing the research, Kathie!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:52 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Thanks for doing the research, Kathie!
You're welcome Ava, my thought is if Corelle recommends not using their vintage (pre 1990's) dishes due to high lead content then I won't. I'll miss my 'Old Town Blue' but no sense risking it. Lead is extremely toxic. There is no level of exposure that is known to be without toxic effects, but it is preventable, so I bought a new set of Corelle. It's really nice. A little heavier and bigger than the old set. We'll see how it holds up traveling which we hope to do soon!

Stay safe out there,
Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #51

Trailer: Coleman Bayside
Enamal dishes

We choose old fashioned metal enameled plates in 2 sizes and cereal bowls. They are indestructible, pleasant to use and clean. Available at most sporting goods stores. Just not a fan of plastic.
mdunkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #52

Trailer: none currently
Exclamation

"I've never heard of wheat plates. For $12 you get 4 plates, cheap enough to find out how durable they are."

My only question would be, for those of us who truly have gluten intolerance, would it have any effects? For me, it's not worth taking the chance of having three days of flu like symptoms while on vacation. So I'd pass out of an over-abundance of caution. Plus, when we camp - it should be fun!
Justforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I just passed 31 years since getting my leukemia(AML) diagnosis. Three courses of chemotherapy, something I would not wish on anyone either, a bone narrow transplant, and a lot of faith and trust in friends, family and medical people, I made it through. Just 10 years earlier it had pretty much been a death sentence, so feel very fortunate.

That said, while I am glad safety to lots of items has increased, I feel sometimes it is being overdone. Heck, I still happily use my old Corel. [emoji4]

Glad to hear you got past your cancer, and my best wishes are with your wife now, in hope for a full recovery in good time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:28 PM   #54

Trailer: None yet
The problem with correlle is as a type of glass it’s just like any porcelain or mineral in that the molecular structure is very rigid and strong, but every time it is knocked or dropped beyond a certain force the molecules shift slightly. Once the shift in a part of the crystal structure becomes enough, the atom tries to shift into the next row of the structure and a catastrophic failure occurs. Hence the shattering and all the shards, as the shift of the atoms is a domino effect (it’s easier to draw a diagram to explain).
The end result is these dishes are great until they suddenly aren’t, but they really aren’t well suited to a mobile lifestyle. Melmac is better for RV use since as a plastic it doesn’t have this type of failure. Environmentally they are safe because they last forever....and don’t require much in the way of resources to manufacture. Once they are eventually discarded, they are stable. Yes, they become landfill, but stable landfill is ok it’s toxic landfill that’s the problem.
Jon Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:28 PM   #55

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Our favorites are Stanley stacking cookware, Sea-to-Summit microwavable plates, Sea-to-Summit Delta bowls, and Humangear utensil set. We also like our Omnia stove top oven.

We also use these compostable plates.

This combination has worked well for more than a year, and we like the simplicity.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote