Dish ware - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2020, 11:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Dish ware

Two-part question.
1. Keeping weight and space in mind, do you prefer and use stackable cookware, food storage, and/ or dishware as opposed to the collapsible items? Advantages/disadvantages for each?

2. Has anyone tried these “wheat” dishes and bowls?
They are supposedly non-toxic, as well as dishwasher and microwave safe!

Light weight, non-breakable, they seem to be an Escapee’s dream! (Well, obviously I’m the dishwasher...are they safe from me?? Lol...)

Was just wondering how durable they actually are. It appears there are bowls, dishes, and tumblers made out of this material.

Here’s the article and then a link to Amazon. Opinions?

https://rvexpertise.com/rv-dishes/

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-P...3446476&sr=8-4
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #2

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
We bought some Corelle dishes when we first bought our escape in 2016. They've held up well. We have found that the sink in the Escapes is kinda small and marginal for doing pots and dishes.

Also, washing/rinsing dishes takes up a significant amount of water and grey tank capacity. For that reason we typically like to use paper dishes/bowls when we boondock.

We have done dishes / pots / etc. using the outside shower and plastic tubs to save both water and grey tank.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
We bought some Corelle dishes when we first bought our escape in 2016. They've held up well. We have found that the sink in the Escapes is kinda small and marginal for doing pots and dishes.
I had heard about Corelle exploding in campers, but like everyone else, "It won't happen to me."

For some reason the upper cabinet door opened on our camper and a couple of plates fell out. Best as we could tell one or more broke. Hundreds of razor-sharp shards everywhere! And I mean EVERYWHERE! When Corelle explodes the pieces can really fly. I found some pieces on the tops of a couple of upper cabinet doors. I cut myself one time a month or so later when I came across one in the cushions.

The remainder of the Corelle was immediately replaced by our old, but perfect blue with white spots metal plates that we used for years, before the Corelle. We're still using those plates and they're at least 25 years old.

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 06-29-2020, 06:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
We have exactly 2 Corelle plates and 2 Corelle bowls. They plates are used when we cook meats which require sharp knives for cutting and the bowls are used for soups. Mostly, we use paper plates and paper bowls.....use and dispose. Typically, only eating utensils need to be washed because much of our cooking is done on the grill. We usually wash the dishes outside because we had the outdoor shower installed on the door side of the trailer, mostly for that reason. Washing and rinsing is done in bins purchased at Walmart. If we are in a campground with dish washing sinks, we use those. In 45 years at home we have only dropped 2 Corelle dishes that broke, none camping. But they are really not used often.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:52 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've never heard of wheat plates. For $12 you get 4 plates, cheap enough to find out how durable they are.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 - 19
We come from a lightweight camping background. Plastic GSI bowls and Plates serve our needs well and they don’t ever break. We also have a couple of the enameled metal plates that are hand downs that we pull out but to be honest i like the plastic. Paper is nice when you have a few extra kids to serve and they can throw them in the fire after.
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Corelle tends to shatter into shards and more likely as it gets older so I don't use it camping though I love it at home. I have some melamine and some paper plates. I prefer not using paper plates routinely but also prefer not having to wash dishes so it is a mix of the two! Melamine bowls. Only reusable cups and normally reusable silverware though I’ve used plastic, too. (Broken forks make me dislike plastic besides the waste part.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Corelle tends to shatter into shards and more likely as it gets older so I don't use it camping though I love it at home. I have some melamine and some paper plates. I prefer not using paper plates routinely but also prefer not having to wash dishes so it is a mix of the two! Melamine bowls. Only reusable cups and normally reusable silverware though I’ve used plastic, too. (Broken forks make me dislike plastic besides the waste part.)
We're kind of the same. Melamine dishes, regular silverware. We don't care for the waste that comes from paper and plastic, and we try to avoid it when camping.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have to go now.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:20 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Melamine is not supposed to be used in microwave, so we have kinda 86’d looking at those dishes.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:40 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Here's another vote for Corelle, with a caveat. We've found over the years that when it's stacked without cushioning the constant vibration (and occasional bounce) results in a radically shorter life, so now we stack it with a felt cushion between each plate or bowl. We've also lined all the cabinets with 4mm EVA foam, which does a good job dampening vibration and reduces the tendency for things to slide around in transit. I expect the Corelle will outlast us.

For inside cookware we use a light weight stackable set from GSI Outdoors, plus a larger skillet from the same line, that has worked well for us:

https://gsioutdoors.com/pinnacle-base-camper.html

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #12

Corelle vs. others

Thanks for all of the input and opinions. We’re going to start off Just using a couple of our Corelle plates and bowls as well as paper plates. I’m still researching for a dedicated set to keep in the trailer.

One conundrum with Corelle is that what you see on Amazon is not the true, sturdy formula of the original Construction of the dish ware that you see on the Corelle website. I know because I contacted them and asked.

I also sent for a couple of dishes from Amazon, and they were thinner as well as more fragile than the Corelle website brand. I don’t know if Corelle contracts out with other companies or these are copies, knock-offs or what.

Corelle has also stated that their dishware made prior to 2005 can leach out lead. So that’s a concern to keep in mind.

At some point I may try out these wheat dishes and will let you know how they work out
Old 06-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
Here's another vote for Corelle, with a caveat. We've found over the years that when it's stacked without cushioning the constant vibration (and occasional bounce) results in a radically shorter life, so now we stack it with a felt cushion between each plate or bowl. We've also lined all the cabinets with 4mm EVA foam, which does a good job dampening vibration and reduces the tendency for things to slide around in transit. I expect the Corelle will outlast us.

For inside cookware we use a light weight stackable set from GSI Outdoors, plus a larger skillet from the same line, that has worked well for us:

https://gsioutdoors.com/pinnacle-base-camper.html
Stan, thanks for this link. This one didn’t pop up in my research, so I’ll investigate it further. Looks quite functional and space-saving!
Old 06-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We've always used Corelle plates and bowls without any troubles. Ok, once...
Attached Thumbnails
crashed.jpg  
Old 06-30-2020, 10:50 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Since I dry camp for months at a time 3-4 miles from fresh water, I tend to use paper plates & plastic cups to conserve on water usage. Normal utensils, and pots & pans for cooking.

I have developed a wonderful brown patina to my coffee cup, although I do wash it every couple of months. I figure that 30 years of rarely washed coffee cups at work didn't kill me, so I'll survive the winter.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:58 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Liquid diet!!!

Hi: All... Like I always say..."There's lite beer and Slim-Fast". Rince and recycle. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 17A
We use the melamine type plates and bowls. We avoid the paper plates because trash build-up is one of the limiting factors in dispersed camping. Unless you burn it (which isn't always possible), you have to make a trash run into town every once in a while. We reinforced the latches in the overheads and cushion the plates with a towel while driving.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i use melamine plates bowls i didn't like correlle plates. i almost never use paper. i also use enamel plates. mostly wash dishes outside at out door shower
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have service for 4 —4 plastic dinner plates 4- plastic salad plates - 4 plastic bowls , all in some God awful color . The whole set was purchased at Menards on sale for under $5
If my memory serves me correctly, we have used them maybe 3 or 4 times in ten years
We also have a set of dishes made by Dixie that we use for everyday
Never broke any but quite a few have been destroyed / damaged by fire .
If anything in our trailer matches or is color coordinated its by pure accident and that’s how we planned it .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Two-part question.
1. Keeping weight and space in mind, do you prefer and use stackable cookware, food storage, and/ or dishware as opposed to the collapsible items? Advantages/disadvantages for each?
We use a mixture of both. We have a collapsible strainer. Stackable pots and pans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
2. Has anyone tried these “wheat” dishes and bowls?
They are supposedly non-toxic, as well as dishwasher and microwave safe!

Light weight, non-breakable, they seem to be an Escapee’s dream! (Well, obviously I’m the dishwasher...are they safe from me?? Lol...)

Was just wondering how durable they actually are. It appears there are bowls, dishes, and tumblers made out of this material.
We use Nordic Ware microwave plates and bowls.

Nordic Ware Microwave Everyday Dinner Plates

Nordic Ware Everyday 6" Bowls

As others have mentioned we use paper plates and bowls to reduce the need to wash dishes. We buy thin paper plates and bowls and use them as 'liners' in the Nordic Ware plates and bowls. That way you don't have to buy thick and bulky paper plates and bowls, and you still don't have to worry about the plate flopping in half and dumping your food on the ground / floor.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote