DIY Inexpensive Digital Wireless RV Backup camera - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 17
DIY Inexpensive Digital Wireless RV Backup camera

I don't own a gopro so I'm Testing out this guys method in the house here and the app works fine on iphone 5, and three different android tablets, one is an old Nexus 7. This method allows you to use your own device as a monitor and not buy or wire up one for the car dash. Everything is in the video description. The apple app is in itunes and the android app link is in the Amazon transmitter description. Note: android users must change their security setting to allow installs from unknown sources to install. Then create new wifi connection. user is "wifiav" password is in the instructions in the box "12345678".
https://youtu.be/6UIG-31UCFU

Only thing I did different was buy this backup camera and these inline on off switches.

https://www.amazon.com/inline-switch...e+Applications

https://www.amazon.com/E-KYLIN-Parki...s+Night+Vision
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Looks like a good, affordable solution. I think I'll try it in our 21 -- might help me into my tight parking pad beside the house. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
gocamp, Would you mind sharing with me the last three digits of your 2017 17B's VIN? I’m trying to pull together a chronological build sequence of Escape’s 2017 model year trailers. Thank, Dale (2017 #053)
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #4

Ours is not built yet dave. Cheers
Old 02-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Ours is not built yet dave. Cheers
Hey Dave, Thanks for your reply. Please keep me in mind when you get your paperwork and know your VIN number. I'd love to add your camper info to my list. Dale
Old 02-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #6

Trailer: None now
I was looking at the picture of the back window of a 19 and I wonder if the tint is too dark to have the camera inside. It would be nice if this could be used that way as I could just suction cup a camera on the back window and have video of what is hugging the rear bumper of the trailer.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #7

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
back up camera

It looks very easy to do .Radio shack is no more The devil is in the details Finding the right parts .
I had asked ETI to put in a back up camera with a transmitter up front and back up camera in rear of trailer they told me they don't do that anymore?
But for $50 it might be worth doing? Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #8

Here's something else to play with. I set one of these up for future use when we get the new trailer and wow! My phone sees 5 wifi hotspots from our house, this saw pages of them including the McDonalds about 1/2 mile away which I successfully hooked up to. It acts as a router so you can have multiple devices showing up as one. I was suprised there were still so many unsecured wifi networks all over too. I thought just about everyone was using frontier or comcast routers in my neighborhood.

Private RV Wi-Fi and Making a Better Park Connection for Under $100 | Outside Our Bubble

FYI this is hubby, as was the previous question above this.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #9

Using our current EggCamper as an example, I mount a camera to the spare tire looking back, run a dual power/video cable extension through PVC conduit along the channel iron of the trailer frame to the tongue where it connects to the wireless transmitter which is powered by the 12V battery on the tongue. I just place the transmitter in the battery box and secure the lid. Then we have the wireless receiver/video monitor in the truck powered by a cigarette lighter-style power outlet. Works great, and it's my wife's job to keep track of what's directly behind us. For our impending Escape 21', I plan to do basically the same setup with the same equipment, but the camera, extension cable and transmitter will all be inside the camper, powered by a 12V drop wire in the front overhead cabinet. The day/night camera will be looking out the back window, and I'm counting on it to figure out and adapt to the window tinting like it adapts to day and night. I don't need 1080 high-def video out the back. I just want to know if something big is hugging our rear bumper. I'll let you know in a few weeks how it works....
Old 02-08-2017, 05:20 AM   #10

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
back up camera

We had ETI put in 12 volt in our back cabinets .So power up the rear camera then run wires (rca) type) up front to wireless transmitter and use cig lighter in car to power monitor .Is that what can and has to be done to get a good reception back up camera ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We had ETI put in 12 volt in our back cabinets .So power up the rear camera then run wires (rca) type) up front to wireless transmitter and use cig lighter in car to power monitor .Is that what can and has to be done to get a good reception back up camera ?
Sounds to me like it should work, but I don't think you'll really know until you try it with your specific camper and tow vehicle. With so many electronic devices in the newer campers and tow vehicles these days, you never know what might throw out some interference and mess things up. If it doesn't work, hard-wiring a video cable all the way from the rear of the camper into the cabin of the tow vehicle would have its challenges but should not be impossible, Best of luck.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
the android app link is in the Amazon transmitter description. Note: android users must change their security setting to allow installs from unknown sources to install. Then create new wifi connection. user is "wifiav" password is in the instructions in the box "12345678".
I don't quite understand. Are you referring to the GoPro app, or another app for wifi video?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #13

Mike I've been playing with this too, you do not need to go to a Google drop box, the app is also available on Android and looked like it was on the Apple site too.
Both WIFI AVIN and WIFIAV were in the play store.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #14

The transmitter in the youtube video has it's own app listed in it's amazon link description for direct download or at googleplay "wifiav". Never tried the "wifi avin" app They look like clones
Old 02-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #15

Thanks. The wifi transmitter in the video is the GoPro, but what are you using for a transmitter if you don't use the GoPro?

This all looks very similar to the Rear View Safety product I purchased to transmit the view from a rear camera to the Samsung tablet that I have mounted in my Tacoma when I'm towing. I couldn't get it to work due to distance from the back of my trailer to the tablet. I installed a wifi repeater in the front of the trailer, which boosted the signal so it would work okay. But it worked only one day until the transmitter failed. I'm back to square one.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Thanks. The wifi transmitter in the video is the GoPro...
Not true.
1. Click on the youtube video I posted.
2. Read his video description
3. It says "Here are the parts I ordered.
Transmitter "
4. Click on his amazon link.
5. It takes you to the wifi transmitter from SUNKIN Global Trading Company, not gopro. PS-they are now sold out fulfilled/shipped from Amazon. Glad I ordered when I did
Old 02-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #17

The first time I clicked on the video link I managed to watch the wrong video, which was about some Australian guy playing with a GoPro as a backup camera, hence my confusion.

The components used in the correct video are indeed similar to what Rear View Safety is using. It doesn't work with the transmitter in the rear of an Escape 21; the distance is too great. I tried putting a wifi antenna closer to the front of the trailer which didn't help, so I ended up getting a wifi repeater. This worked. I didn't consider putting the transmitter at the front of the trailer and using an extended RCA cable to connect it to the camera. That certainly would have been cheaper. But my transmitter failed anyway so it doesn't matter.

As for the tinted trailer window affecting the camera-- it will still work. You may have to crank up the display brightness on your tablet but you'll still be able to see out the back of the trailer, as long as everything else is working.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
As for the tinted trailer window affecting the camera-- it will still work. You may have to crank up the display brightness on your tablet but you'll still be able to see out the back of the trailer, as long as everything else is working.
Seen anything interesting?
Old 02-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #19

I found the rear view camera to be pretty useful when it was working. I thought it would help in backing the trailer into a campsite, but I never got the chance to try it before the transmitter failed. It's possible that nothing will help other than practicing backing the trailer.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #20

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
I found the rear view camera to be pretty useful when it was working. I thought it would help in backing the trailer into a campsite, but I never got the chance to try it before the transmitter failed. It's possible that nothing will help other than practicing backing the trailer.

I just got the rear view cam for my Garmin working. I have not found it to be all that useful on the road. However, when I pull into those illplanned places in a parking lot and I just need to break up a few feet to get out, it's perfect!!

I'm at Quartzsite at the moment and all the spots are drive through spots. So I have not used it to back into a camping site.

I'm sure it will help with that, but only for visibility. I wouldn't expect it to help much if you're not very good at backing. Except maybe to see you've flubbed up sooner.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote