E19 Cover Recommendations - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebike1 View Post
Question: Can 1 person put on and take off the cover ? I will not have anyone else helping me and weight of the cover may also be an issue.
I have put the cover on and taken it off my Escape several times by myself. When I put the cover on, I fold it up on the ground, carry it up a stepladder and place it on the centre of the roof of the trailer. I than unfold the ends and sides of the cover. If I have folded it correctly and oriented it in the right direction, everything will be in the correct spot when it is unfolded.
__________________

__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:23 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 6,168
Yes but some preparation is required.

It's important to have the cover folded up in a way so that when you get it up on the roof all bundled up that it unfolds right side out and the front at the front. Don't ask me how I know that.

The bundle can be pushed up the ladder located at the side mid-point and pushed onto the roof. Then it's just a matter of wiggle jiggle, moving the ladder etc. I use a boat hook to reach over and help it over a vent etc. if it hangs up.

Easier with 2 but certainly doable with one.

Ron
__________________

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:55 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Trailer: 2022 21C Escape
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes but some preparation is required.

It's important to have the cover folded up in a way so that when you get it up on the roof all bundled up that it unfolds right side out and the front at the front. Don't ask me how I know that.

The bundle can be pushed up the ladder located at the side mid-point and pushed onto the roof. Then it's just a matter of wiggle jiggle, moving the ladder etc. I use a boat hook to reach over and help it over a vent etc. if it hangs up.

Easier with 2 but certainly doable with one.

Ron
Thank you. It sounds challenging. Preparing it for the next use would be essential. I think it is a good idea for me to get one after I get my new trailer but I doubt I will put it on the trailer unless it will be stored for several weeks or more.
ebike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:59 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A -- "The Pullman"
Posts: 2,246
Granted, I have an Escape 17, so it's smaller and lighter, but I routinely put on and take off our Calmark Cover. I was shown this method when at the Calmark Co. back lot.

To take it off, instead of folding, I roll it up from the front to the middle (in between the Maxxfan and the A/C unit), and then roll up from the back to the middle. Then I slide those twin rolls down one side of the trailer into a tall plastic laundry basket.
To install, I throw rope over the trailer middle, tie one end to the ends of twin rolls, and pull then up over the trailer. Then, just unroll toward each trailer end.
Note: I can, solo. But my wife cannot pull hard enough to get the roll up and over. I suppose she could install, by folding the rolls, and, with a ladder, place it on the roof, then unfold and unroll.
__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A Classic: 2011 Honda Pilot
LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:12 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Trailer: 2022 21C Escape
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Granted, I have an Escape 17, so it's smaller and lighter, but I routinely put on and take off our Calmark Cover. I was shown this method when at the Calmark Co. back lot.

To take it off, instead of folding, I roll it up from the front to the middle (in between the Maxxfan and the A/C unit), and then roll up from the back to the middle. Then I slide those twin rolls down one side of the trailer into a tall plastic laundry basket.
To install, I throw rope over the trailer middle, tie one end to the ends of twin rolls, and pull then up over the trailer. Then, just unroll toward each trailer end.
Note: I can, solo. But my wife cannot pull hard enough to get the roll up and over. I suppose she could install, by folding the rolls, and, with a ladder, place it on the roof, then unfold and unroll.
Don thanks - It sounds like I better go to rodeo school to learn how to do this. I get the idea of how you are making it more efficient. I have no idea if I would have the strength to pull it up and over. Unfortunately my husband who could figure anything out and do anything like this passed away last year. I will get a cover after I get my trailer and try some of the methods suggested here. Thank you
ebike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:56 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 6,168
It's one of those situations where trying to put the process into words makes it sound more difficult or complicated than it really is. After you've done it a couple of times it just becomes a matter of a little puff and grunt and it's done.

If lifting is an issue rolling it up or folding it up into a compact bundle and letting it rest on the sloping ladder and partly lifting, partly sliding it makes it easier.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:39 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kent, Ohio
Trailer: 2017 21
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Calmark covers are definitely well made. However, the Calmark cover on my 15B is too heavy to allow any charging of the batteries via solar while the trailer is covered. The ADCO cover that I have used on my 19' for the past 8 years (and is still in good condition) allows the solar to keep the 19's batteries fully charged while covered over the winter (provided there is no snow on top of the cover).
Interesting, my solar panel does charge through my Calmark, just very slowly.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:55 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
santacruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 753
My solar panel also charges very slowly through the Calmark cover. At one time Calmark would incorporate a clear vinyl window for a solar panel, but they had discontinued the practice when I ordered a cover for my 17 back in 2012. Apparently the cover outlasted the window.
__________________
2009 Tacoma Crew Cab, TRD 4WD
2007 Tundra Double Cab TRD 4WD
2014 Escape 19
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Interesting, my solar panel does charge through my Calmark, just very slowly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
My solar panel also charges very slowly through the Calmark cover. At one time Calmark would incorporate a clear vinyl window for a solar panel, but they had discontinued the practice when I ordered a cover for my 17 back in 2012. Apparently the cover outlasted the window.
It is possible that Calmark covers are not all the same and different covers could be made from different materials. My Calmark cover is very heavy/thick material, almost like a canvas. There is no way that any light is passing through it.
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: La Selva Beach, California
Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebike1 View Post
Don thanks - It sounds like I better go to rodeo school to learn how to do this. I get the idea of how you are making it more efficient. I have no idea if I would have the strength to pull it up and over. Unfortunately my husband who could figure anything out and do anything like this passed away last year. I will get a cover after I get my trailer and try some of the methods suggested here. Thank you
I do the same thing on my 19 as Don does, it is a California thing! (I think he gave me the idea?) I store mine in a big tote, pull it out of there and roll it on, between the MaxxFan and AC. Taking it off is just reverse. Make sure if you pull it over to the awning side that you protect the awning from a rope burn! I'm able to do this by myself, takes about 15-20 minutes total. Two ladders make it easier too.

Larry
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Corona, California
Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Posts: 2
Escape 2019 17B Cover

Hi Shawn, just wanted to share my experience. Initially I got my cover from Escape (Polypro..from Classic Accessories) which got torn apart in few months due to winds we have in California. The materials seemed weak especially at the top seams. Soooo, I called the classic accessories who recommended I get the Permapro which is stronger. After trying it on for 3-4 months it did seem stronger materials, but!, the cover somehow reacted with the fiberglass or something like that and messed up my fiberglass with shades of gray all over the top of my 2019 17B. Now, I am not putting it on anymore as I am afraid it might mess it up more and may need to wax it out (not done yet). Just wanted to share my experience. I also attached a photo fyi. Sid
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4871.jpeg  
sasbagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:12 PM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Trailer: 2022 21C Escape
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasbagh View Post
Hi Shawn, just wanted to share my experience. Initially I got my cover from Escape (Polypro..from Classic Accessories) which got torn apart in few months due to winds we have in California. The materials seemed weak especially at the top seams. Soooo, I called the classic accessories who recommended I get the Permapro which is stronger. After trying it on for 3-4 months it did seem stronger materials, but!, the cover somehow reacted with the fiberglass or something like that and messed up my fiberglass with shades of gray all over the top of my 2019 17B. Now, I am not putting it on anymore as I am afraid it might mess it up more and may need to wax it out (not done yet). Just wanted to share my experience. I also attached a photo fyi. Sid

Thanks for sharing your experience.. sounds like a good decision
ebike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 6,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasbagh View Post

Now, I am not putting it on anymore as I am afraid it might mess it up more and may need to wax it out (not done yet). Sid
It's a shame to have a cover and not use it. I've taken to putting a Painters/Contractor type drop sheet over the roof first, then the cover on top of it. The plastic is very soft, won't scratch the gelcoat and 9' wide, perfect width, just hangs down a sides a little bit. A few bits of tape hold it place while the cover is being installed.

If the stains don't come out easily you could try Davis FSR (fiberglass stain remover). It's given me excellent results even on heavily yellow f.g. boat hulls.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
25-09-2021 2-55-20 PM_0002_resize.jpg   IMGP0024_resize.jpg  
__________________

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×