Electric Assist Bicycle - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #221
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21. Tow vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Platunum.
Posts: 402
JoanP, we're using a 1Up SuperDuty rack on our 2014 Escape 21C and it carries our two 60+ pound e-bikes securely.

To lighten the weight on the bumper I carry the spare wheel in the box of our truck and leave the steel post that holds the spare at home. A friend owns an Escape 5.0 and also uses a 1Up SuperDuty with two slightly lighter e-bikes than ours without problems, sometimes on rougher roads than we travel.

I also had two neighbours who are retired welders look closely at the Escape's hitch receiver and frame and they both said that the 150-pound limit is very conservative. Our bikes and the rack weigh 170 pounds.

If you get a 1UP, having the factory install a "Wheel Stop" on the wheel tray for each bike will eliminate the need to have any contact between the rack and your bikes' fenders.

You will need to loosen two nuts and rotate the handlebars of the bike closest to the trailer 90 degrees to avoid contact with the rear window while in motion, but that would probably be necessary with any rack. Be sure to retighten the nuts before driving off!

The 1Up isn't cheap, but it is well-designed with all-aluminum construction and will give you a lot of peace of mind and eventually a good resale value.
https://www.1up-usa
https://www.1up-usa.com/product/wheel-stop/
__________________

__________________
Brent and Cheryl.
Catchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:51 PM   #222
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Posts: 1,041
Interesting thread. My wife and I have road bikes and ride often. Ours are human powered kind. But, we have not taken bikes for camping trips for two reasons:
  • What we have are road bikes. Rightly or wrongly, I don’t think they would do well in the terrain one encounters in the campgrounds. I wonder if those who carry bikes have road bikes or mountain bikes?
  • The issue of bike rack. I gathered that 1-up are the best. Do people use heavy duty or super duty? I see that the rack itself is about 50 lbs, regardless of super/heavy duty. Our bikes are light but I do wonder about the weight limit of 150 lbs.
__________________

kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:25 PM   #223
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Central valley, California
Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Posts: 60
We went with the 1upUSA Superduty. We carry two Trek Powerfly EBikes. Itís recommended to take the battery out when traveling. With the rack at 47 lbs and each bike at about 47ish lbs, we are right at the limit. I cut the handlebars down for comfort but they are still wide enough that a good bump would probably send the inside bike trough the back window. I didnít want to mess with turning the handlebars so I came up with a friction-fit foam bumper that fits on the front fork down tube and stops any movement once it hits the spare tire. No problems over 2,000 miles and takes a just few seconds to put on or take off.
Attached Thumbnails
7AD70F76-941E-4182-AFA0-7656F20D415B.jpg  
Jwinfrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:40 PM   #224
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Canada's East Coast, New Brunswick
Trailer: E19 In Progress
Posts: 204
Check out 1up. Not cheap but I doubt you'll find a more sturdy, rv rated rack.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:01 PM   #225
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 3,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
...
...What we have are road bikes. Rightly or wrongly, I donít think they would do well in the terrain one encounters in the campgrounds. I wonder if those who carry bikes have road bikes or mountain bikes?
...
My bike is a 'hybrid' (road sized wheels, flat bars, basically what I call a city/urban bike), which when I electrified, I upgraded from 700x32 tires to 700x40 (about as fat as fit in the frame). These are fine on gravel trails and such, they are only a problem in sand over about 1" deep.

the kit I used to electrify mine is torque sensing, so it feels very natural when you ride, the harder you pedal, the more assist you get, and its mid drive, so the power assist goes through the gearing unlike a hub motor.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:21 PM   #226
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
My bike is a 'hybrid' (road sized wheels, flat bars, basically what I call a city/urban bike), which when I electrified, I upgraded from 700x32 tires to 700x40 (about as fat as fit in the frame). These are fine on gravel trails and such, they are only a problem in sand over about 1" deep.

the kit I used to electrify mine is torque sensing, so it feels very natural when you ride, the harder you pedal, the more assist you get, and its mid drive, so the power assist goes through the gearing unlike a hub motor.

Thank you very much, John! That's a good idea. We currently have 700C X 28 Mm tires. I am not sure if our bikes would accommodate any fatter tires but it is something I will look into. We don't need the electric assist as yet. My concern has been about the terrain.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:52 PM   #227
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 3,903
Those Vittoria Adventure Tech tires are pretty sweet, they come in 700 x32, x35, and x38, they are reasonably light and have excellent puncture protection. reflective sidewalls in case you are out after dark.

usually the tightest fit is where the tire goes through your chain stays, but sometimes the rear brake bridge is the limit, and sometimes it is the chain line in lowest gears when the chain is closed to the tire..
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:01 PM   #228
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Those Vittoria Adventure Tech tires are pretty sweet, they come in 700 x32, x35, and x38, they are reasonably light and have excellent puncture protection. reflective sidewalls in case you are out after dark.

usually the tightest fit is where the tire goes through your chain stays, but sometimes the rear brake bridge is the limit, and sometimes it is the chain line in lowest gears when the chain is closed to the tire..
Thank you! I will look into that. Our main riding still is right where we live - and that's road biking. We run Continental Gator Hardshell and are on the fatter side of where most riders are.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:08 PM   #229
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 3,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you! I will look into that. Our main riding still is right where we live - and that's road biking. We run Continental Gator Hardshell and are on the fatter side of where most riders are.
hah, those Gators were the hardest tires to mount I *ever* put on a bike. I switched over to Vittoria and couldn't be happier, for the road race set, they make some super flexible light very high thread per inch tires, I can't remember what they are called but they had green sidewalls, and were a favorite with the long distance street racers who had to deal with cobblestones and such. ahh, Corsa but I think they only come in x25 and x28. 320 threads per inch is like a magic carpet ride.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:30 AM   #230
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
hah, those Gators were the hardest tires to mount I *ever* put on a bike. I switched over to Vittoria and couldn't be happier, for the road race set, they make some super flexible light very high thread per inch tires, I can't remember what they are called but they had green sidewalls, and were a favorite with the long distance street racers who had to deal with cobblestones and such. ahh, Corsa but I think they only come in x25 and x28. 320 threads per inch is like a magic carpet ride.
Very nice observations! I will look into Vittoria. I know Gators are slow but we arenít exactly racers. I like the fact that they are very resistant to punctures.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:54 AM   #231
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 3,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Very nice observations! I will look into Vittoria. I know Gators are slow but we arenít exactly racers. I like the fact that they are very resistant to punctures.
Vittoria also has a Randonneur series of touring tires, extremely puncture resistance and long wearing, designed for long distance touring riders. They had one called Randonneur Hyper that was both puncture resistant AND high thread count, but they've juggled the model names again so I'm not sure what its called now. The Adventure's I have on my electrified hybrid are also quite puncture proof.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:02 PM   #232
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you very much, John! That's a good idea. We currently have 700C X 28 Mm tires. I am not sure if our bikes would accommodate any fatter tires but it is something I will look into. We don't need the electric assist as yet. My concern has been about the terrain.
Very nice John ! We are selling our bikes though which I installed Subaru motors to. The problem , too heavy to carry . So we just ordered the new lite Lectric e bikes to take when we RV. Our Subaru bike setup would go 200 mi and about 30 mph but we wanted to take along which we couldnít Hoping our new bikes will get us around and some exercise Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:47 PM   #233
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 3,903
not cheap, but the Specialized Turbo Vado SL series are about as light as ebikes come. they are true torque sensing pedal assist, no throttle, and they have relatively little power compared with many, but its still enough to add double or triple your leg strength. they feel MUCH more like riding a real bike, but with less sweat and strain. drop the SL, and its a heavier bike with significantly more power and larger batts to offset that.

if you prefer fatter tires (cruiser sized), the Turbo Como SL is the same sort of thing, but with 2.5" wide tires instead of 38mm. and again, drop the SL for more power/battery/weight.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:34 PM   #234
Senior Member
 
parfsten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Petaluma, California
Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Posts: 248
I recently got a Jupiter Defiant and love it. It folds and fits easily in my Highlander or on the rear rack of my Escape. Costco has it now for $1250 + tax. My knee is very happy with it ☺️
__________________

parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« Hot Sauce Lovers? | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×