Electric Assist Bicycle - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #221

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
JoanP, we're using a 1Up SuperDuty rack on our 2014 Escape 21C and it carries our two 60+ pound e-bikes securely.

To lighten the weight on the bumper I carry the spare wheel in the box of our truck and leave the steel post that holds the spare at home. A friend owns an Escape 5.0 and also uses a 1Up SuperDuty with two slightly lighter e-bikes than ours without problems, sometimes on rougher roads than we travel.

I also had two neighbours who are retired welders look closely at the Escape's hitch receiver and frame and they both said that the 150-pound limit is very conservative. Our bikes and the rack weigh 170 pounds.

If you get a 1UP, having the factory install a "Wheel Stop" on the wheel tray for each bike will eliminate the need to have any contact between the rack and your bikes' fenders.

You will need to loosen two nuts and rotate the handlebars of the bike closest to the trailer 90 degrees to avoid contact with the rear window while in motion, but that would probably be necessary with any rack. Be sure to retighten the nuts before driving off!

The 1Up isn't cheap, but it is well-designed with all-aluminum construction and will give you a lot of peace of mind and eventually a good resale value.
https://www.1up-usa
https://www.1up-usa.com/product/wheel-stop/
Old 05-01-2022, 03:51 PM   #222

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Interesting thread. My wife and I have road bikes and ride often. Ours are human powered kind. But, we have not taken bikes for camping trips for two reasons:
  • What we have are road bikes. Rightly or wrongly, I don’t think they would do well in the terrain one encounters in the campgrounds. I wonder if those who carry bikes have road bikes or mountain bikes?
  • The issue of bike rack. I gathered that 1-up are the best. Do people use heavy duty or super duty? I see that the rack itself is about 50 lbs, regardless of super/heavy duty. Our bikes are light but I do wonder about the weight limit of 150 lbs.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:25 PM   #223

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We went with the 1upUSA Superduty. We carry two Trek Powerfly EBikes. It’s recommended to take the battery out when traveling. With the rack at 47 lbs and each bike at about 47ish lbs, we are right at the limit. I cut the handlebars down for comfort but they are still wide enough that a good bump would probably send the inside bike trough the back window. I didn’t want to mess with turning the handlebars so I came up with a friction-fit foam bumper that fits on the front fork down tube and stops any movement once it hits the spare tire. No problems over 2,000 miles and takes a just few seconds to put on or take off.
Attached Images

Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:40 PM   #224

Trailer: 2022 E19
Check out 1up. Not cheap but I doubt you'll find a more sturdy, rv rated rack.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:01 PM   #225
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
...What we have are road bikes. Rightly or wrongly, I don’t think they would do well in the terrain one encounters in the campgrounds. I wonder if those who carry bikes have road bikes or mountain bikes?
My bike is a 'hybrid' (road sized wheels, flat bars, basically what I call a city/urban bike), which when I electrified, I upgraded from 700x32 tires to 700x40 (about as fat as fit in the frame). These are fine on gravel trails and such, they are only a problem in sand over about 1" deep.

the kit I used to electrify mine is torque sensing, so it feels very natural when you ride, the harder you pedal, the more assist you get, and its mid drive, so the power assist goes through the gearing unlike a hub motor.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:21 PM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
My bike is a 'hybrid' (road sized wheels, flat bars, basically what I call a city/urban bike), which when I electrified, I upgraded from 700x32 tires to 700x40 (about as fat as fit in the frame). These are fine on gravel trails and such, they are only a problem in sand over about 1" deep.

the kit I used to electrify mine is torque sensing, so it feels very natural when you ride, the harder you pedal, the more assist you get, and its mid drive, so the power assist goes through the gearing unlike a hub motor.

Thank you very much, John! That's a good idea. We currently have 700C X 28 Mm tires. I am not sure if our bikes would accommodate any fatter tires but it is something I will look into. We don't need the electric assist as yet. My concern has been about the terrain.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:52 PM   #227
Site Team

Those Vittoria Adventure Tech tires are pretty sweet, they come in 700 x32, x35, and x38, they are reasonably light and have excellent puncture protection. reflective sidewalls in case you are out after dark.

usually the tightest fit is where the tire goes through your chain stays, but sometimes the rear brake bridge is the limit, and sometimes it is the chain line in lowest gears when the chain is closed to the tire..
Old 05-02-2022, 11:01 PM   #228

Quote:
Those Vittoria Adventure Tech tires are pretty sweet, they come in 700 x32, x35, and x38, they are reasonably light and have excellent puncture protection. reflective sidewalls in case you are out after dark.

usually the tightest fit is where the tire goes through your chain stays, but sometimes the rear brake bridge is the limit, and sometimes it is the chain line in lowest gears when the chain is closed to the tire..
Thank you! I will look into that. Our main riding still is right where we live - and that's road biking. We run Continental Gator Hardshell and are on the fatter side of where most riders are.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:08 PM   #229
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you! I will look into that. Our main riding still is right where we live - and that's road biking. We run Continental Gator Hardshell and are on the fatter side of where most riders are.
hah, those Gators were the hardest tires to mount I *ever* put on a bike. I switched over to Vittoria and couldn't be happier, for the road race set, they make some super flexible light very high thread per inch tires, I can't remember what they are called but they had green sidewalls, and were a favorite with the long distance street racers who had to deal with cobblestones and such. ahh, Corsa but I think they only come in x25 and x28. 320 threads per inch is like a magic carpet ride.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:30 AM   #230

Quote:
hah, those Gators were the hardest tires to mount I *ever* put on a bike. I switched over to Vittoria and couldn't be happier, for the road race set, they make some super flexible light very high thread per inch tires, I can't remember what they are called but they had green sidewalls, and were a favorite with the long distance street racers who had to deal with cobblestones and such. ahh, Corsa but I think they only come in x25 and x28. 320 threads per inch is like a magic carpet ride.
Very nice observations! I will look into Vittoria. I know Gators are slow but we aren’t exactly racers. I like the fact that they are very resistant to punctures.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:54 AM   #231
Site Team

Quote:
Very nice observations! I will look into Vittoria. I know Gators are slow but we aren’t exactly racers. I like the fact that they are very resistant to punctures.
Vittoria also has a Randonneur series of touring tires, extremely puncture resistance and long wearing, designed for long distance touring riders. They had one called Randonneur Hyper that was both puncture resistant AND high thread count, but they've juggled the model names again so I'm not sure what its called now. The Adventure's I have on my electrified hybrid are also quite puncture proof.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:02 PM   #232

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Thank you very much, John! That's a good idea. We currently have 700C X 28 Mm tires. I am not sure if our bikes would accommodate any fatter tires but it is something I will look into. We don't need the electric assist as yet. My concern has been about the terrain.
Very nice John ! We are selling our bikes though which I installed Subaru motors to. The problem , too heavy to carry . So we just ordered the new lite Lectric e bikes to take when we RV. Our Subaru bike setup would go 200 mi and about 30 mph but we wanted to take along which we couldn’t Hoping our new bikes will get us around and some exercise Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:47 PM   #233
Site Team

not cheap, but the Specialized Turbo Vado SL series are about as light as ebikes come. they are true torque sensing pedal assist, no throttle, and they have relatively little power compared with many, but its still enough to add double or triple your leg strength. they feel MUCH more like riding a real bike, but with less sweat and strain. drop the SL, and its a heavier bike with significantly more power and larger batts to offset that.

if you prefer fatter tires (cruiser sized), the Turbo Como SL is the same sort of thing, but with 2.5" wide tires instead of 38mm. and again, drop the SL for more power/battery/weight.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:34 PM   #234

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
I recently got a Jupiter Defiant and love it. It folds and fits easily in my Highlander or on the rear rack of my Escape. Costco has it now for $1250 + tax. My knee is very happy with it ☺️
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 04:33 AM   #235

Trailer: class B camper van- 2021
My younger brother has All Terrain Scout and he loves it too much.
levi&live72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:27 PM   #236

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:

I just bought a bike similar in style to John's but an original bike not conversion. It's a Hurley Carve which I had only a couple of days with this month before we left on vacation (without bike). I put on 18km and the battery indicator hasn't dropped from full as yet.
Attached Thumbnails
8CA291DC-4E11-456E-8D0B-E2F25BE833D0_1_201_a.jpg  
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 01:00 PM   #237

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I just bought a bike similar in style to John's but an original bike not conversion. It's a Hurley Carve which I had only a couple of days with this month before we left on vacation (without bike). I put on 18km and the battery indicator hasn't dropped from full as yet.
How much does that bike weigh?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:02 PM   #238

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
How much does that bike weigh?
About 55 lbs pretty heavy steel frame, single speed but don't need gears with the electric assist. It was a reasonable price us$577 free delivery to ND, bought on ebay. It's a large frame at 5'10 I have the seat at lowest position and can barely touch touch the ground.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:12 PM   #239

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hmmmm

Quote:
About 55 lbs pretty heavy steel frame, single speed but don't need gears with the electric assist. It was a reasonable price us$577 free delivery to ND, bought on ebay. It's a large frame at 5'10 I have the seat at lowest position and can barely touch touch the ground.
Hey Adrian
What’s the weight limit on that contraption? I used to be 5’10” but I’ve shrunk. Then the nurse marked me down as 5’2”. You can imagine what that did to my BMI. I’d have to get wooden blocks for the pedals.
Watch out for those RCMP speed traps.
IowA Dave
Old 07-18-2022, 08:38 PM   #240
Site Team

Quote:
About 55 lbs pretty heavy steel frame, single speed but don't need gears with the electric assist.....
beg to differ, ebikes need gears to go up long steep hills unless they are somewhere way over 1000 W. You don't need as many gears, nor do you need ultra-low granny gears, but you still want at least 5-7 gears in the medium to high range for pedal assisted hill climbing. I'm running a 46T front chainring, and an 11-32T 8 speed rear on mine. climbing the mile long 8% grade I live up requires a middle gear like 46:24 and quite a bit of pedaling to help the motor along.