Electric Assist Bicycle - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Dave,
I knew you Albertan's were tough but I have this image of you riding your e-bike into a snow drift when commuting. Does it have chains for the winter months?
You're really behind the times. Around here folks have been hitting the slopes with their bikes since fat bikes became common place. Before that it was mountain bikes with studded tires or a ski replacing the front wheel.

Ah, you folks in the desert land don't know what you're missing. Youtube has some extreme crazy videos about riding bikes on snow.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Dave,
I knew you Albertan's were tough but I have this image of you riding your e-bike into a snow drift when commuting. Does it have chains for the winter months?
No, I do not commute with my bicycle in the winter anymore. That is mostly because the roads that I would have to travel on are not safe for bicycles in winter, too much danger of getting run over by crazy car commuters. I used to cycle to work year around years ago when I lived in Calgary and when I was a lot tougher than I am now. Friends of mine who still do winter commuting will typically use studded tires on their bicycles to improve the traction.

But speaking of tough Albertans (not that I am super tough), for the past couple of winters I have used studded running shoes to allow me to run outdoors all winter. This past February, I ran a half-marathon in Edmonton (13.1 miles / 21.1 km) wearing my studded running shoes with temperatures in the -30°C range at the start. There were about 300 other brave Albertans who also took part in that race.
Attached Thumbnails
20171011_200712.jpg  

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #63

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Just don't bring your e-bike around here and expect to use it:
https://www.nps.gov/samo/planyourvisit/bicycle.htm
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #64

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Prosecution

Reminds me of the Movie “Alice’s Restaurant”. What are you in for? “Riding my battery bike in the park” and they all moved away. “And creating a public nuisance” and they all moved back.
Iowa Dave
Hey Don here’s one for you
Holdridge Nebraska
Attached Thumbnails
7336510D-6671-46A9-9E8C-19A835613C70.jpg  
Old 08-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #65

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Reminds me of the Movie “Alice’s Restaurant”. What are you in for? “Riding my battery bike in the park” and they all moved away. “And creating a public nuisance” and the all moved back.
Iowa Dave
Hey Don here’s one for you
Holdridge Nebraska

Ah, You're just testing to see if I'm awake. Thanks. Always liked the Q's colors & stripes. Pioneer Zephyr not withstanding.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I think if/when I was to get an e-bike, it would be something with a focus more to road riding, maybe dirt/gravel roads too. Probably minimal, if any, suspension. Though when the time should come around, I will probably have changed my mind a few times.

For trail riding I would just keep my MTB, it is quite light for a full suspension bike, and weight matters for manoeuvring quickly (watch out for that tree).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The wife and I are seriously considering a pair of Rad Minis. Had the chance to ride one in Austin recently and I have to admit it was alot of fun. The folding feature would come in handy to save cargo space in the bed as well.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #68

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm going straight to four wheels, with a comfortable seat, a water and wind-proof cab and an antennae with a red flag on the rear.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #69

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Four wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm going straight to four wheels, with a comfortable seat, a water and wind-proof cab and an antennae with a red flag on the rear.
Then the Kubota side by side UTV is for you. Nice box in the back for a cooler and a lawn chair when you reach your destination. Could haul $700 worth of firewood at campground prices too.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think if/when I was to get an e-bike, it would be something with a focus more to road riding, maybe dirt/gravel roads too. Probably minimal, if any, suspension. Though when the time should come around, I will probably have changed my mind a few times.

For trail riding I would just keep my MTB, it is quite light for a full suspension bike, and weight matters for manoeuvring quickly (watch out for that tree).
The option that I went with was to buy an electric motor/battery kit that allowed me to use the bicycle of my choice for the e-bike. These guys are quite reputable (https://em3ev.com/shop/bafang-48v-1000w-bbshd-kit/). With the kit approach, your bike can have virtually any style or quality of components on it that you desire. For mine, since it was kind of an experiment for me, I chose a fairly low price Mountain Bike that I picked up used on Kijijii as my donar bike. However, I could at any time transfer my motor and battery over to some other bike if I chose to do so.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 08-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
The option that I went with was to buy an electric motor/battery kit that allowed me to use the bicycle of my choice for the e-bike. These guys are quite reputable (https://em3ev.com/shop/bafang-48v-1000w-bbshd-kit/). With the kit approach, your bike can have virtually any style or quality of components on it that you desire. For mine, since it was kind of an experiment for me, I chose a fairly low price Mountain Bike that I picked up used on Kijijii as my donar bike. However, I could at any time transfer my motor and battery over to some other bike if I chose to do so.
I do like that idea if it works good and is fairly easy to remove or move to another bike. While I have a Specialized Carbon Stumpjumper, I would not use it and save it for trail riding. I also have a near 20 year old Specialized Rock Hopper, a no suspension MTB I bought new. This bike is the one I usually take with the trailer, as it can be a good road bike and can go on trails if needed, though there have been a few times I sure could have used suspension. Did you know that deserts are mostly rocks, and not smooth sand.

How long would you say it takes to set up, as well as tear down this setup on a bike? If I was to ever go this route, I would definitely buy a quality unit. Funny though, as my Rock Hopper probably only cost me $600 back when I got it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #72

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"I have a regular mountain bike, a "beach cruiser", a folding bike and a folding e-bike." (Ron)

I am really interested in this. We need something like an E-bike to get us back out on the trails. The Rad E-bike seems especially tempting. Our problem is the fact that we have really long legs, especially me, and I can't help wondering if that translates into stability issues. Seems to me most of these bikes are built for people 6 ft and under.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...How long would you say it takes to set up, as well as tear down this setup on a bike?...
If you have a bit of previous experience working on bikes or some mechanical aptitude, a kit like the one I chose could take 1 hr to 2 hrs to install. I would bet that someone who works on bikes a lot could do it in 1/2 hr to 1 hr. Essentially, you take the cranks off your existing bike, insert the motor (which comes with new cranks), install the battery and run the wiring between the motor, battery and controls on the handlebars. It is actually a very simple install. Here are before and after pics of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
ebike1-before.jpg   ebike2-side.jpg  

Old 08-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #74

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
[ I was in Anacortes Washington recently and was able to keep up to local traffic speed limited to 25MPH. No need to ride on sidewalks.
Stop making comparisons to bicycles as the new ebikes and etrikes are a new form of transportation that really extend open air opportunities.[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm afraid of with this "form of transportation" Traveling level at 25 miles an hour on a regular bike is limited to elite cyclists, not the average biker. Speeds this fast are totally unsafe on any shared use terrain such as a bike path, therefore this "fot" should be limited to where motorized transportation is permitted, not bike paths.
Discuss.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #75

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We ride our e-bikes around some place like Stanley Park, with it's dedicated and separated bike/roller blade and pedestrian paths.

We ride at a sedate pace, without using any assist. Our biggest source of danger comes from yahoos on conventional bikes. The same is true locally where a short distance from our house mountain bikers, still pumped full of adrenaline, come rocketing out from the mountain , jumping curbs and boulevards and at times having close encounters with both cars and humans.

So my view is that the majority of folks that ride e-bikes are not likely to be a problem on shared paths. So it would be a shame to bar them completely.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
If you have a bit of previous experience working on bikes or some mechanical aptitude, a kit like the one I chose could take 1 hr to 2 hrs to install. I would bet that someone who works on bikes a lot could do it in 1/2 hr to 1 hr. Essentially, you take the cranks off your existing bike, insert the motor (which comes with new cranks), install the battery and run the wiring between the motor, battery and controls on the handlebars. It is actually a very simple install. Here are before and after pics of mine.
My brother is an excellent bike mechanic, though I can handle it well too. It sounds like not too much of a big task.

I was just reading about the front wheel kits, they seem even easier to deal with, but I have to wonder what the front wheel driving would feel like.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #77

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
"Do I want reliability, safety, enjoyment, and high resale value, or will I settle for leaks, repairs, anxiety, and rapid depreciation?

Again, I believe you have to ride a few different e-bikes to find out what you want and need. There are a number of reputable websites with video test rides that will enable you to make your short list of features and modelsto try out when you go to the e-bike shop. For example: https://electricbikereview.com

A busy bike shop can be chaotic enough to undermine good decision making. Citrus Cycles lets you make an appointment for test rides so that you get calm, priority attention from an expert who isn't distracted. Look for an e-bike shop that does the same.

Good hunting, and happy riding!
Great evaluation Catchlight. I think that anything that keeps you out riding is a positive thing.

Did you consider the Copanhagen wheel?

One day, we''l probably get E-bikes.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:05 AM   #78

Trailer: 2008 Ram
I had purchased a "Giant-Sedona" in 2013 while in Arizona. I am a large person (65 yrs/old) and that bike was perfect for me. I wanted an EBike so I had my Sedona converted by "EBike BC" in Vancouver, Canada. This conversion has worked out perfectly for me so far. People ask how I like it and the simplest answer is that it flattens out the hills a bit, I can ride again and I am comfortable that this bike will get me home in a pinch.
DaveWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #79

Trailer: Shopping 17B
The motor is quite helpful at startup and climbing hills. For example, it eliminates any wobble at start up.

But, the variable pedal assist feature is what I enjoy most, and what I would encourage others to try out in an integrated eBike. It senses when you peddle and offers six different levels of assistance from none to 5.

A current favorite is minimal assistance outbound, then "cruising" more on the return trip. Plenty of exercise value, with an extended range.

Another reason I prefer the City model is 2.3" wide tires, versus 4" tires. The 2.3" tires work fine on dirt and pea gravel, even coarse gravel, and are the largest that fit racks on Denver city busses, further extending range. I don't ride much on rocks, mountain trails, mud or snow.

I did purchase a RAD City with the idea of also using it as local transport at destinations. - Perfect.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:29 AM   #80

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Interesting article.

https://qz.com/emails/quartz-obsession/1355525/
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote