Flashlight Suggestions - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #41

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
They don't seem to ever run out. People start threads on all sorts of subjects, from knives to movies to favorite music. But mostly they compare flashlights, show off collections, and drool over the new models.

I'm a flashaholic; I have more than 50 lights. Usually a 1-AAA twist-to-activate light is in my pocket at all times, but I also enjoy the high powered flashlights and the lanterns, too.
I too love flashlights.
A couple of years ago I was travelling from Vancouver to Nail Boxes Plus in Blaine Washington to pick up a bunch of flashlights to give away at Christmas.
I was in the NEXUS lane and normally they ask very few questions and just send you through.
This time however I had a middle aged customs agent ask me where I was going. So I told him. Then he asked what are you picking up. So I told him, by this time I was getting a bit nervous as this was more questions than I was used to.

Then he asked me what kind of flashlights, so I told him again. Then he asked me how many lumens. Really I was thinking Meanwhile cars were piling up behind me in the NEXUS lane.

When I told him how many lumens, then he wanted to how much I paid for them. Told him the dollars involved. Then he pulls out his flashlight from his belt and starts saying how good his flashlight was, how many lumens, cost etc etc. Then told me the website to go to to get his brand of flashlight. Conversation went on for a few minutes. I admitted to him I have a passion for flashlights and I thanked him for ruining my day as I will now have to go spend more money to get an even better flashlight.

Seems like flashlightaholics are very common
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:56 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My lost flashlight in the dark adventure was about 10 years ago. Since then I went to headlamps. lights that I can hang from a cord or lanyard or soft sided models I can hold in my teeth. The IPhone works pretty good too.

Although I knew I was living in the past it was made more clear a couple years ago when I was fishing one night and three young people about 20 years old showed up to fish. They had tackle but no bait. They spent about 20 minutes catching crawdads in the jetty rip rap with the aid of their I-phones. $600 phone over water in pursuit of a 10 cent crawdad. Go figure.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-11-2021, 05:22 AM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I feel your pain

Quote:
I'm a flashaholic; I have more than 50 lights. Usually a 1-AAA twist-to-activate light is in my pocket at all times, but I also enjoy the high powered flashlights and the lanterns, too.
My confession.
I'm known as Sub-Commander Photon.
For 10 years I worked in the flashlight R&D group at Rayovac (a battery & flashlight manufacturer in Madison, WI). My job was testing our flashlights and competitors. I had hundreds of them. Drop testing, water immersion testing, switch cycle testing, impact testing, brightness testing, driving over them with my pick-up truck, outdoor and environmental testing.....all that stuff. I was also involved in product design and manufacturing.
Flashlights were my life.
I've completed the 12-step flashaholic program with limited success. I "fell off the wagon" the other day and bought another photon generator . I still have many of them, some one-of-a-kind prototypes.
But I worked back in the Dark Age, old days of dim incandescent and fluorescent lighting. Now, with LED's, it's a whole new world. Whiter and brighter world.

A favorite of mine is a keychain size Tube model by Nitecore. Rechargable, 2 lighting levels, ultracompact, cheap. I've given away many as stocking stuffers, and always carry one, and use it daily. The old eyes ain't as good as they used to be. Maybe I stared into too many flashlight beams during my illuminating career.

Lighten UP.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:31 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hhmmmmm, Seems like some Escapees are flashers...........
Old 11-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #45

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Many of you spend way more on flashlights then we do. This is the oldest purchased from Amazon, that they still offer, we currently own. We will only buy a flashlight that has 18650 batteries and gave up on AA and AAA flashlights about a decade ago. I've yet to have a single 18650 battery fail and have six charged ready to go in a flashlight in our 5.0 when needed. We charge ours driving down the road since our last two F150's have had 400 watt inverters.

We also own three InnoGear 5000 Lumen headlights that are no longer available that take 18650 batteries. One is for our condo, one for our garage stall, and one for our camper. When building the condo I always had one on my head the entire day. I've also purchased a headlight and flashlight, extra batteries and a decent charger for our four children. Everyone of them say they use the lights quite frequently.

So with three headlights and about 5-7 18650 flashlights we have at least 20 or more 18650 batteries in all three places. We'd be broke if we spent the money on our flashlights that some of you spend.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-11-2021, 09:11 AM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I have this Fenix in my Amazon wish list.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082BJNP9P...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It has a variety of colors and modes and levels. Including nearly a bazillion lumens for those monsters you are trying to avoid.
Another Fenix fan here too. I have too many flashlights to admit without embarrassing myself ...but the two "flashlights" I consistently reach for & use these days: Fenix TK-25 w/ARE-X11 battery and charging system and a HL-60R.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:43 AM   #47

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Lots of good info in posts above. I like researching on BLF (Budget Light Forum) for my flashlight needs. Lots of very good quality budget lights discussed there.
https://budgetlightforum.com

I mostly have 18650 powered flashlights and I like neutral white to a slightly warm white in the color spectrum of the LED output. Not a fan of the bluish tint that a lot of cheap flashlights have.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #48

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I hope all you flash-a-holics can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Personally, I will never face my addiction - too bright to look in that direction.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I have about 20 flashlights. Never actually counted them. Looked at couple I like this morning in Home Depot, but restrained myself. Most of mine are boxed up in the “old flashlight box” along with some other treasures, like wrist rockets, bicycle parts, about 30 old pocket knives etc. once in a while after I’ve had a couple drinks I open up a box and let the nostalgia of once being a younger man wash over me and I smile. Have a great day.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-11-2021, 05:02 PM   #50

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Streamlight stinger…..I’ve had it for 30 years. Rechargeable works like a charm…I’ve had to replace the battery once!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #51

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
A favorite of mine is a keychain size Tube model by Nitecore. Rechargable, 2 lighting levels...
Plus ramping capability, a feature I appreciate!
Old 11-12-2021, 04:26 PM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimih View Post
I don't have a particular favorite, but more a requirement that it fits into a Command "broom holder" - I have two right next to the door of the trailer as you walk in (or out), and so they're easy to grab when I leave the trailer at night, and stow back when I return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Thanks for the tip. I have a Command Broom Gripper at home, and a cheap but large and very bright dual 18650 LED flashlight, so I just tried it... and it fits well. Time to get more "broom" holders.
It has been years since I bought one, and I saw two relevant things when I had a look for these yesterday:
  • they are about $15 CAD per pair or $9 CAD each ; and,
  • they are designed to hold broom handles (or flashlight barrels) 20 to 25 mm (0.8" to 1.0") in diameter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:01 PM   #53

Yup

Quote:
Plus ramping capability, a feature I appreciate!
I see you are a select connoisseur of these devices. Yes, I missed that. I usually don't use that feature. Gimme all you got, little one, is more my use pattern.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:34 PM   #54

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Worst flashlight error I have made was to buy a camouflage unit and dropped it in the leaves in the dark in the woods and it was not turned on. Took me about 10 minutes on my hands and knees to find it. Then a minute to crawl to a tree to help me stand up. Did not shut it off all the way back to the truck. Do not buy a camouflage paint job on anything you might drop in the woods. That’s my advice.
Iowa Dave
About forty years ago, when camo paint was a new fashion, the wife of a colleague worked in marketing for Gerber. She told us how much they liked the camo knives: the replacement business was booming... If not fighting or hunting I don't think it is such a great idea.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:48 PM   #55

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Speaking of pointless, Cabella's carried a camo faucet when I perused their catalogue a few years ago.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:52 AM   #56

Camo is sooo....1994

The design rage following it was ALL CLEAR products. Clear beer (Zuma), clear case electronic products (Apple desktop), et al. One of the prototype flashlights I have is a clear bodied Luma 2 flashlight. Advocated by the wife of the owner of the company, the initial flashlight store shelf "display" packaging cost more than the bare light as received from Thailand. It "floated" in the center of a clear plastic box. They later went to fiberboard box & a clear plastic window to reduce costs. 2 C-cells and a back-up, independent, lithium powered separate light in the head assembly. Overall, a dud, as the production version was white bodied. It looked good, but no mechanic was going to grub it up with greasy paws. Incandescent krypton bulbs, but pretty weenie light output compared to LED's these days. Designed for the housewife to have it on a kitchen counter, upright. I called it the "Rayovac Redundant"

Flashlights were my life.

Anyone remember the "Snakelight", around that same time"? That flashlight was a marketing & sales grand slam, by a different battery/flashlight company.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1760.jpg   DSCN1761.jpg  
Old 11-13-2021, 11:11 AM   #57

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Here is something a little different. It is called Pak-Light. It is extremely small, light weight, dependable and runs on a 9 volt battery. The story of the light's development is very interesting. Check out the website https://www.9voltlight.com It is also used by the military in many different applications. The actual light is about 1" x 1/2" x 1/2 "
Attached Thumbnails
20211113_090437.jpg  
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
About forty years ago, when camo paint was a new fashion, the wife of a colleague worked in marketing for Gerber. She told us how much they liked the camo knives: the replacement business was booming... If not fighting or hunting I don't think it is such a great idea.
Too funny, but I know it's true. I was walking in a graveled campground not really looking at the ground. Something registered in the dim recesses of my brain and made me back up a couple of steps. Nothing registered at first but then a pattern emerged. Reached down and picked up a Gerber nicely blended into the gravel.

Not a camo fan but happy to add it to my collection.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 05:42 PM   #59

Did I mention, flashlights were once my work life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post
Here is something a little different. It is called Pak-Light. It is extremely small, light weight, dependable and runs on a 9 volt battery. The story of the light's development is very interesting. Check out the website https://www.9voltlight.com It is also used by the military in many different applications. The actual light is about 1" x 1/2" x 1/2 "

I've got a variation of one of these. Mine is an OK light, but there are brighter and more compact & rechargeable ones out there than mine. As Jon posted, the Nitecore brand ones are pretty impressive. I agree.
Attached Thumbnails
lite.jpg  
Old 11-13-2021, 11:22 PM   #60

Trailer: 2012 E19
I'm glad Iowa Dave found his camo light when he did. Otherwise he might've needed to leave and go back in daylight to search for it.

But if he had done so, at least he would have been able to quip, "I'd walk a mile for a camo."