Flashlight Suggestions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #1

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Flashlight Suggestions

With just under 1 year until we get our Escape I am thinking about flashlights, of course. As an Old Boy Scout "Be Prepared" is always on my mind.

Any suggestions on a good LED flashlight?

Not looking for 10 Billion lumens. Just a good light for my very early morning walks/runs)
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
There are probably a few hundred great lights to use. I prefer a headlamp. I have a fairly bright one that gets little use, but is there for emergency mostly. I also have a small one with a retractable cable strap, great for pocket storage.

I do need a new lightweight headlamp and an thinking in biting this one.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5056-140/Bindi-Headlamp

All this said, I use them as little as possible. Never for walking no matter the time of day as I prefer the night sky. [emoji4]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
There are probably a few hundred great lights to use. I prefer a headlamp. I have a fairly bright one that gets little use, but is there for emergency mostly. I also have a small one with a retractable cable strap, great for pocket storage.

All this said, I use them as little as possible. Never for walking no matter the time of day as I prefer the night sky. [emoji4]
I love this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
With just under 1 year until we get our Escape I am thinking about flashlights, of course. As an Old Boy Scout "Be Prepared" is always on my mind.

Any suggestions on a good LED flashlight?

Not looking for 10 Billion lumens. Just a good light for my very early morning walks/runs)

In my tool bag I always carry a headlamp, keeps your hands free and will come in handy for working on your trailer. I always use it whenever I’m doing electrical or hvac work.

Get one that is rechargeable and has different lighting settings, an adjustable zoom may come in handy for hiking.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:35 PM   #5

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I want a hand held version so I can flick the light behind me for upcoming cars. It's pretty narrow, twisty and hilly where I typically walk/run.

I also want to be able to scan for those monsters sneaking up on me.
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
There are some that have a flashing light at one end and a steady one at the other, but I don't know what to search for to find one. Maybe "safety flashlight?"
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:11 PM   #7

Trailer: A future 5.0, 2024 Ram 1500
There's a headlamp by Walkbright on Amazon with a rear facing red light. I personally use a rechargeable Petzel for work and it's been very reliable over the last 4 years. Another option is Nite Ize slaplit reflective wrist bands. Fenix is my choice for flashlights.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I agree that there are lots of effective LED flashlights. All I suggest is to avoid ones that use and odd number of cells (because that's a pain for recharging) or that use any number of AAA cells (which have much less capacity than AA cells and yet cost much more). Unfortunately, most cheap flashlights use three AAA's.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
I also use a headlamp. Don't think of as head gear only , you can carry them in your hand . They are small yet powerful .
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree that there are lots of effective LED flashlights. All I suggest is to avoid ones that use and odd number of cells (because that's a pain for recharging) or that use any number of AAA cells (which have much less capacity than AA cells and yet cost much more). Unfortunately, most cheap flashlights use three AAA's.
I love my AAA electronics. They are smaller, lighter and I buy AAAs by the four dozen pack. Avoid those button batteries. Used to be able to buy them for 50 cents each at Mountain Equipment Coop. The coop got bought and now they cost almost $5.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I have this Fenix in my Amazon wish list.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082BJNP9P...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It has a variety of colors and modes and levels. Including nearly a bazillion lumens for those monsters you are trying to avoid.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 E19
Fenix, Nitecore, and Zebralight have all been around for a decade or more and they make good lights, but you pay a little more for the name and reputation. The Fenix E12 is only about $27 though, and 160 lumens might be enough to fill your need.

A decent budget light option: the Sofirn SP10V3 kit. It will run a common AA cell, 4 modes with a high of 300 lumens, or a lithium ion 14500 cell for up to 1,000 lumens & in-light usb charging. I have a few Sofirn lights and they are decent quality.

Or you can go even lower-cost with a Nicron N7, which has a head that swivels 90 degrees. I don't have one but I've read good comments about it on a flashlight forum.

If you'd like to run 2-AA and have a somewhat longer flashlight, the Thrunite Archer is a good buy at about $26.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I don't have one but I've read good comments about it on a flashlight forum.
What do they talk about on a flashlight forum when they run out of energy?
Old 11-05-2021, 12:00 AM   #14

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What do they talk about on a flashlight forum when they run out of energy?
They don't seem to ever run out. People start threads on all sorts of subjects, from knives to movies to favorite music. But mostly they compare flashlights, show off collections, and drool over the new models.

I'm a flashaholic; I have more than 50 lights. Usually a 1-AAA twist-to-activate light is in my pocket at all times, but I also enjoy the high powered flashlights and the lanterns, too.
Old 11-05-2021, 03:38 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
My favorite little light I use for work is a StreamLight ProTac 2AA, kind of expensive but small and bright.

Most of the time I use a mechanics LED lithium rechargeable light. I got 2 from Canadian Tire on sale 75% off, like $15 each. I'm sure you can get these at PepBoys or Napa south of the border on sale.

One thing I suggest you do look for is the option for red light. I have an old light I got at Walmart way up in northern Ontario, it has a spot light, CFL tube, red light, and also a red flashing SOS light too. I like the red light late a night if we have to do the crawl over.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:33 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I have that exact same headlamp. Have used it for about 1-1/2 yrs now and it is great. It is super lightweight. You can carry it backpacking or running and not even realize it is there until you need it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #17

Quote:
I love my AAA electronics. They are smaller, lighter and I buy AAAs by the four dozen pack. Avoid those button batteries.
For an handheld flashlight, smaller than AA seems pointless to me, and a waste of money. Even that four dozen pack must cost much more than two dozen AA's.

Button cells (or "batteries") are ridiculous for lighting.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Button cells (or "batteries") are ridiculous for lighting.
Except for my Inova keychain light, which is only used briefly ( like to locate a light switch ).
The problem with a flashlight is that you need one to find one.
Old 11-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Except for my Inova keychain light, which is only used briefly ( like to locate a light switch ).
Have to agree. I have a Nitecore Tini (which seems to have become the Tini 2). Rechargable lithium battery with 3 light levels + Superbright which is brighter than many full sized flashlights, but only lasts for a few minutes.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Don't you use your phone for that?