Forum Moderator: How about a sticky post for recommended products? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2021, 02:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Question Forum Moderator: How about a sticky post for recommended products?

Hello, I've been trying to dig through and find posts on good stuff to buy in preparation for our Escape (chocks, etc) and wondering if there could be a sticky thread for that?
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
wondering if there could be a sticky thread for that?

Try "Goo Gone".
Products and availability by region change all the time.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I like the idea- it is hard to find a post where a product was recommended if you didn't need it and buy it at the time.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a reason why I'm on my 5th Escape purchase.............!
Old 07-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
game
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

Yer just an Escapeaholic

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
If I see a product recommendation that I don't currently need, I will often add it to my Amazon list or bookmark the website.............
Old 07-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
I know! Right?

Here is a good thread to get started with. There are others. It's okay to start a new one because the options change all the time it seems.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ild-18694.html
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If you attend any rallies where there is a free tarp, you will see a pile of things that people thought they needed but it turned out they didn’t. Number one is the roll around wheel that goes on the bottom of the trailer jack. Number two cracked plastic chocks, and three rubber boots, one size 10 one size 11 both left feet or foot, I can’t figure it out. You definitely need a good multi bit screwdriver, a kneeling pad for your aging knees and some Grandma’s stain remover for your pants when you bang that same knee into a greasy hitch ball. And finally a bar of soap, so your mom can wash the bad words out of your mouth.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-22-2021, 10:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Sheep"; 2003 Toyota Tundra "Shep"; 2017 Aussie "Cody"
Good idea! My practice has been to create an Escape wishlist on Amazon where I post good stuff as I read about it.
Farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:45 PM   #10

Iowa Dave has it right.
Stop it!
Just buy stuff as you need it. Stores are everywhere. Bezos already had all the money he needs.
What's the best wax? You will have to choose from a dozen opinions. I use Simonize Wash 'n' Wax.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:44 AM   #11

There are certain things that are pretty common needs for a trailer camper that someone used to tent camping hasn't had to think about. Waiting to "buy as needed" isn't really a smart approach in some of these cases.

It's odd, I read a lot of posts where someone asks a question and someone else thinks they need to judge the validity of the question based on their own needs, rather than the needs of the person asking the question. It's not helpful, sometimes rude, and just clutters up a message board with pointless entries for people to weed through to find what they need.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:45 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
A list like that would be extremely massive if you included everything everyone recommended. I have seen threads with this topic a lot, it would be easy to search for it, and avoid it as there is just so much stuff that some folks deem necessary for themselves, yet I would never want or consider. We all differ in requirements of what we bring along.

Just my opinion, but I find that many take along stuff that is just not needed for making the memories we are seeking.

If you just bring the basics, along with a few things you might think you would like and require. Then as you continue on trips remove what you really don't need, and add the few things that you do, and in short order you will come up with a list that works for you.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Here are a few suggestions, based on my trip home.

I upgraded to X-chocks instead of just chocks. That means I did not have chocks. And I did not trust the x-chocks to hold the trailer without tire stops.

This meant I did not feel comfortable disconnecting the trailer until I purchased chocks. That was limiting. So I would get a good, heavy duty set of four chocks if you did not purchase them already.

I also purchased a non potable (red) hose for cleaning the gray and black dump process.

A curtain rod and curtain for the elevated sleeping compartment (5.0).

A portable, battery powered fan. The Maxxfan is good at vertical air motion. I got one that pushes the air horizontally. It's a nice combo.

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-...7041240&sr=8-3

Bring a drink cooler and a chair. You know that.

Additional cooking stuff and add ons can generally wait until you get home. I started cooking outside the first day, but I brought a two burner and the Blackstone griddle from home. CPAharley made the suggestion and I thank him about every time I use it.

It is nice to have a mat outside the steps so do you do not track dirt in. We have a 6'x9' and a 9'x12'. We use them both. We use one for the outside shower.

Bring your tool kit. I also carry a Dyson 10 vacuum. Bring your torque wrench and lug nut adapter because you need to re torque.

I picked up our 5.0 at the height of Covid in May of last year and it was no fun. (Okay it was a little fun). But once I got to camp, everything was good. But I went right home and did very little wandering. Your requirements and needs may vary now that restrictions are lifted.

Once I got home I started the process of overdoing things. Great fun! Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing. I don't take more than I need, but that changes about every trip. I like choices.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:50 AM   #14

Probably true that people buy a lot of things they don't need. That may be a good sticky in itself. Maybe a forum just for the things that people need (or don't need). I thought this was the place for that, but there is a lot of chaff to weed through.

A lot of the basics are not items new trailer campers just know about intuitively. Of the minimum necessary items (a purely subjective subject) there are many items to choose from, good and bad. One place to track those is what I was talking about, which a lot of people, especially people new to trailer camping, might benefit from.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Here are a few suggestions, based on my trip home.

I upgraded to X-chocks instead of just chocks. That means I did not have chocks. And I did not trust the x-chocks to hold the trailer without tire stops.

This meant I did not feel comfortable disconnecting the trailer until I purchased chocks. That was limiting. So I would get a good, heavy duty set of four chocks if you did not purchase them already.

I also purchased a non potable (red) hose for cleaning the gray and black dump process.

A curtain rod and curtain for the elevated sleeping compartment (5.0).

A portable, battery powered fan. The Maxxfan is good at vertical air motion. I got one that pushes the air horizontally. It's a nice combo.

Bring a drink cooler and a chair. You know that.

Additional cooking stuff and add ons can generally wait until you get home. I started cooking outside the first day, but I brought a two burner and the Blackstone griddle from home. CPAharley made the suggestion and I thank him about every time I use it.

It is nice to have a mat outside the steps so do you do not track dirt in. We have a 6'x9' and a 9'x12'. We use them both. We use one for the outside shower.

Bring your tool kit. I also carry a Dyson 10 vacuum.

I picked up our 5.0 at the height of Covid in May of last year and it was no fun. (Okay it was a little fun). But once I got to camp, everything was good. But I went right home and did very little wandering. Your requirements and needs may vary now that restrictions are lifted.

Once I got home I started the process of overdoing things. Great fun! Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing. I don't take more than I need, but that changes about every trip. I like choices.
Excellent list, Uncle Tim, thanks!
Old 07-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #16

You have no idea what is needed and what is not until you sell your Escape and unload everything. You will find things still in their original packing as well as other unused items. Housecleaning not only cleans but makes you realize what is needed and what is not.....after 4 tries I am still learning..........
Old 07-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #17

Quote:
You have no idea what is needed and what is not until you sell your Escape and unload everything. You will find things still in their original packing as well as other unused items. Housecleaning not only cleans but makes you realize what is needed and what is not.....after 4 tries I am still learning..........
Very good points. A sticky for people to post what they find very useful and another for things they never unwrapped might be handy.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You know it was an unneeded item when the person who puts out the free tarp and collects the stuff at the end of the day that was unwanted, takes it home and then puts it out on the next three consecutive free tarps and nobody picks it up. Where is that campground dumpster?.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-23-2021, 10:20 AM   #19

Four tries and then the dumpster........I normally do it the first time it is left.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #20

And, the problem with creating stickies for every topic is that you can no longer find what you want, so you end up using the "search" function anyway.