Induction cooktops - 1500 watts too much on batteries? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Question Induction cooktops - 1500 watts too much on batteries?

Ok, so I'm not up on my electric terms. I've seen a lot of people talk about using countertop induction cooktops in their Escapes. I've been looking at some and they all seem to be be in the1500 watt range of power use. Are these only used on shore power, or are they fine running off solar and batteries?
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Remember that in addition to battery considerations (of which there are many choices) there's also the matter of capacity of the DC>AC Inverter to consider when not connected to shore power.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Remember that in addition to battery considerations (of which there are many choices) there's also the matter of capacity of the DC>AC Inverter to consider when not connected to shore power.
That is what I assume, and what I am trying to find out from people who use induction stovetops. For the record, we are planning on the solar and lithium package.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
Ok, so I'm not up on my electric terms. I've seen a lot of people talk about using countertop induction cooktops in their Escapes. I've been looking at some and they all seem to be be in the1500 watt range of power use. Are these only used on shore power, or are they fine running off solar and batteries?
The ETI installed inverter would promptly shut down with a 1500w device as soon as the battery came down a bit. This feature is built into the inverter to prevent excessive battery discharge.

I have an electric griddle and tested it a bit with the inverter. Wouldn't stay on long enough to cook anything. I don't know what power it requires but a device that creates heat on a 18" x 12" griddle is gonna need some power.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
The ETI installed inverter would promptly shut down with a 1500w device as soon as the battery came down a bit. This feature is built into the inverter to prevent excessive battery discharge.

I have an electric griddle and tested it a bit with the inverter. Wouldn't stay on long enough to cook anything. I don't know what power it requires but a device that creates heat on a 18" x 12" griddle is gonna need some power.
That is definitely good to know, thanks. I guess the folks using the induction stovetops are using shore power.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 17B
My duxtop single induction cooktop has a range from 200watts to 1800w. I do use it with my inverter on the 1000w setting to heat water for coffee. When using with shore power I’ve not needed any higher than 1200w for cooking which can be too high with iron skillets. I plan on testing it again with my inverter when cooking for longer times than just heating water. I just have the Escape installed solar panel and the two 6v batteries.
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I should have mentioned the battery capacities as Centex did. I was just thinking of mine. 2 6V AGM Trojans.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicia View Post
My duxtop single induction cooktop has a range from 200watts to 1800w. I do use it with my inverter on the 1000w setting to heat water for coffee. When using with shore power I’ve not needed any higher than 1200w for cooking which can be too high with iron skillets. I plan on testing it again with my inverter when cooking for longer times than just heating water. I just have the Escape installed solar panel and the two 6v batteries.
Good info, thanks!
Old 07-19-2021, 01:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
We used a couple different portable induction "burners" in our 15A before deciding to cut the counter and install a 1600w True Induction single "burner" stove top. We've put it to the test and am super pleased with it over the past 9-months of usage.

We have a Xantrex 3000w Freedom SW inverter being fed from a 400Ah/6500w LiFePO4 battery system I assembled.

My only little quip: If the trailer/counter isn't perfectly level and when using high/near high setting on the induction stove top...our little 1.2L water kettle can slide around a bit. Not a deal breaker and certainly not unique to True Induction...just an FYI.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't understand what advantage is perceived in an induction stove. Restaurant kitchens use gas ranges because they provide maximum control.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #11

No CO output/risk #1. And in our application: All electric (no propane).

Induction is fast, most efficient cooking method, clean, super easy to clean up (have yet to find any NG/propane stove that isn't a cleaning chore...), no waste heat into a small RV, etc., etc.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We ordered our 5.0 with no cooktop and plan to try using this 1200W induction unit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017PJACA6...roduct_details, along with a Snow Peak Baja Burner when not on shore power or when batteries are getting low. I’m hoping it will run off the stock 1500W inverter. We’ll be receiving our trailer shortly, so I can post an update after using it a bit.

We’ve been cooking with induction at home for over 7 years and would never go back to gas. More powerful than gas and also more adjustable. Not to mention safer. You can turn things WAY down low to keep things warm while finishing other dishes. Also the burners have a timer on them that can shut each burner off automatically — handy for cooking rice.

The higher in altitude you are the greater advantage in cooking power for induction vs propane. The only disadvantage I see is the additional money required to beef up the electrical system to handle the draw. For a 2 burner induction cooktop you would be looking at a bigger inverter plus 3 to 4 lithium batteries and whole bunch of solar on the roof to make it practical while boondocking. Hence our plan to supplement with a small isobutane stove that can be used inside or out.
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #13

^ much the same here. Cooking inside the trailer is limited to anything boiled, scrambled eggs and anything non-splatter greasy/smelly. Otherwise we have a single butane 15k BTU burner and/or our propane Cook Partner dual burner for griddle, etc., when more cooking is needed and/or anything smoky, smelly or greasy.

Its the perfect solution for us.

@Mark J: Sorry for the little hijack, but what induction range/? are you using at home? We're in the shopping phase of getting rid of our gas range and moving to induction. Been using a portable Duxtop atop counter in the house and can't wait to get rid of the gas range mess, etc.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:38 PM   #14

@Mark J, FWIW, I just plugged in our 1800w Duxtop portable induction to my 2000w Xantrex SW in our Silverado pickup and all the way up to 1800w/high output it worked just fine (200A/3300w LiFePO4 in the bed of this vehicle) heating a pot of water. So I think you should be fine using the 1500w inverter for your 1200w induction as long as no other 120v draw at the same time.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Tried my new Duxtop 1800W counter top induction with my GoPower 1500 from Escape and it quickly drew down the batteries- new Interstate dual 6V- from 13.6 to 11.9 in about 20 seconds.

My Goal Zero 3000X(280 AH) with a 2,000 watt inverter that I am using for the van conversion boils enough water for 4 cups of coffee in 4 minutes. Not as good as my Thermador 36" in the house but not too bad.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Use your propane stove.......
Old 07-19-2021, 06:16 PM   #17

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't understand what advantage is perceived in an induction stove. Restaurant kitchens use gas ranges because they provide maximum control.
They won't blow up in your face like the Escape provided Suburban cooktop did to me.

Even though we have an induction cooktop at home and love it for the consistent infinite control and ease of use, I wanted induction, but Terry wanted gas for the camper. Pick your fights wisely my friend! We now have a Dickinson gas stovetop.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-19-2021, 08:09 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ya, and in Progressive San Luis Obispo natural gas in new homes is now banned, so induction cooking is now deemed environmentally essential. Of course there is a lawsuit.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post
@Mark J, FWIW, I just plugged in our 1800w Duxtop portable induction to my 2000w Xantrex SW in our Silverado pickup and all the way up to 1800w/high output it worked just fine (200A/3300w LiFePO4 in the bed of this vehicle) heating a pot of water. So I think you should be fine using the 1500w inverter for your 1200w induction as long as no other 120v draw at the same time.
Also have a Cook Partner for outside duties on some trips. Awesome stove, but trying to limit the amount of gear needed, so plan on using the Snow Peak burner in/out of the trailer for now.

As to our home induction, when I remodeled the kitchen 7 years ago, we bought a 300 series Bosch induction cooktop, which was the lowest end model they offered at the time. We weren’t sure if we were going to like induction. Turns out it has been great, but on the next kitchen remodel, I would go with a 36” unit with 5 hobs instead the 4 we have, mainly for better flexibility in what size pans you can put where on the cooktop — the 4 hob model seems a little crowded at times. But I’m a fairly adventurous cook—the smaller model could work fine for some folks.

After 20+ years cooking with gas, it’s induction all the way now, at least at home. I realize the electrical requirements may require some compromise (or more $$$) in a camper.
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #20

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Induction Cooking is fast becoming more popular in professional kitchens because they are easy to clean (No Gaps & Grates), infinitely adjustable and they instantly do not produce heat or consume energy when the pan is removed. Cool Technology!

Plus, I doubt you'll ever see a kitchen explode in pieces on Induction.

Off grid Induction Cooking? Not smart enough to comment.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote