Inflatable SUP - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Is a Sup subject to watercraft inspections in many states? Now I'm wondering!
I don't know how a paddleboard - stand-up or otherwise - is anything other than a watercraft, just like a canoe, kayak, rowboat, or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's my belief that if it's used in the water and carried in a visible place then you'd have to stop.

Don't know if not having an inflatable that's stowed away and not visible would be a problem or not. I certainly don't worry about it as there seems to be about a zero chance of them launching a pursuit and ticketing you the way they would if you had any type of watercraft visible and didn't stop.
This is entirely about whether a stop would be enforced, not whether the thing is a watercraft and an inspection is legally required.

With any luck anything that you pack up and put away (such as an inflatable craft) would be clean and dry by the time it is packed, so it wouldn't be a risk of carrying invasive species from one area to another. But by that logic it would be okay to not stop with any boat as long as you feel it is clean and dry enough, and that seems unreasonable to me.

If someone were carrying some canoes or kayaks in an enclosed cargo trailer, would that be any reason to exempt them from stopping at mandatory watercraft inspection stations? Of course not, even though they could easily get away with it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It's really hard to paddle through milfoil.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I travel with a large raft sometimes and also inflatable kayaks. I alway pull over...they ask me when it was last in the water...usually at least a month or more....i've never been asked to unroll either for inspection (calif/oregon).
Old 04-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I like a canoe. I can sit, kneel, stand or lay down.
That's a great photo your wife snapped of you in the canoe. You handsome ol' dog, you!
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #25

Trailer: 2019 19’
I purchased a Scout 365, a compromise between a kayak and a dingy. 12’ weights 85 lb and can use an electric or 3.5 hp gas motor with a fishing rack to hang onto and hold rods. About $1300. Made in California by a New Zelander. Love it.
Ksambor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #26

Has anyone tried any of Hobie's craft with the Mirage foot-pedalled fin drive? Our interest would in photography, rather than fishing, but the idea of using legs for propulsion (instead of paddling) - leaving arms and hands free - seems attractive. Because the drive is installed through a well in the hull, the Mirage drive must be designed into the watercraft, not stuck on like a trolling motor can be.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I thought they were a good idea except that everywhere I fish is pretty weedy.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I thought they were a good idea except that everywhere I fish is pretty weedy.
That would be a concern, although probably not as bad as with a propeller; has anyone tried the Mirage in weeds?
Old 04-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #29

I had a 16' fishing boat, powered by a 9hp. Briggs and Stratton.
Called it "Weedeater".

No fun unwrapping weeds from the prop.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #30

Trailer: 2012 E19
I had one of their 9.5' Sport kayaks with the mirage drive. In really heavy weeds one time, among reeds and lily pads, they did foul the drive; I pulled it out, took off the weeds, stuck the drive back into the hole, and pedaled out of the weeds. Thereafter I didn't return to such an obviously weedy area, just because it's a hassle to stop and clear the drive; but it wasn't a difficult or lengthy procedure at all. It's right there in front of you.

I sold it after one summer. The things I didn't like:
Having my knees pedaling higher than my waist to about chest high
Sitting for a long time in a low position (true of any kayak)
Car-topping annoyances (true of any kayak)
As you can see, my dislikes didn't have anything to do with the mirage drive. It was a great system, way easier and better than paddling IMO and super easy to move the rudder for steering. It will work in surprisingly shallow water, too, if one does short partial pumps on the drive that keep the fins close to the hull.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:06 PM   #31

Thanks, Mike!
It sounds like a Mirage drive might work for us. I like the idea of higher seat on a small non-sailing catamaran combined with the Mirage drive (improving the seat/pedal relationship), but they don't make that. It would be easy to get carried away and end up with a craft that is big and heavy... the opposite of a paddleboard.

For those who might like the Mirage fin-drive, and want the stand-up paddleboard format, Hobie has a line of step-propelled versions, which they call Pedalboards.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:39 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Review now I have used it

Hello All,
Wanted to update everyone now that I got to use the Aqua Marine Drift last weekend. I used it on a large lake so not a whole lot of current but there were wakes from other boats. VERY STABLE, easy to move around all over it and never felt like I was going to fall in. Now will admit did not spend a whole lot of time standing up, most paddling from knees and also Indian style. One of the cool things about this SUP is it comes with a cooler that has a back that folds down and a pad that suctions on to the cooler and its surprisingly comfortable, figure this will be the position I fish in most the time.
The outer sections blew up in no time with the pump it comes with, now the middle section took some time and a lot of pumping so considering a small electric pump.
I would say the only thing I did not really like compared to a kayak was constant switching the paddle from one hand to the other but YES quite a core workout for sure way more then I ever felt from a kayak.

One of our lake neighbors has a Mirage with the peddle drive and he says he likes it, is kind of heavy he said and as he gets older harder to transport.

This is my first experience with a paddle board but would give this an A+, pretty lightweight and easy to store, came with everything you need including a decent paddle, very stable and was under $600.00. I know it will be going on most of the camping trips we go on and sure it will get lots of use at our lake place too.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I am looking around for a camping on a lake option the two of us can do together that is pleasant, convenient exercise, cheap, not too strenuous, but fun. Cannot do hiking the trails much anymore. Afraid to buy an E-bike. Don't fish, but could learn. Swim, but she don't. Sneaking up on shore creatures with a camera would be heaven.

I found this on eBay. Would appreciate honest, aggressive thoughts from you kayak guys.
Attached Thumbnails
kayak.jpg  
Old 11-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #34

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
There are some good reviews on video of inflatables (the cheapest type)

Not the tandem explorer, but the Explorer is included.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
If you have already been in one, please disregard.

Inflatables are not so easy to get in and out of if you are not, shall we say, spry. From a dock, very difficult. From shore, tricky and likely you will need to be standing in the water to get in and may fall into the water while exiting.

I believe there is a segmented hard shell sit on top (easier to transport) that comes in three sections that can be a single (two sections) or a tandem (three sections). It might be an interesting alternative.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #36

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Advanced Frame Kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I am looking around for a camping on a lake option the two of us can do together that is pleasant, convenient exercise, cheap, not too strenuous, but fun. Cannot do hiking the trails much anymore. Afraid to buy an E-bike. Don't fish, but could learn. Swim, but she don't. Sneaking up on shore creatures with a camera would be heaven.

I found this on eBay. Would appreciate honest, aggressive thoughts from you kayak guys.
I bought 2 Advanced Frame Kayaks years ago. They are inflatable, very stable and have withstood the test of time. We got singles rather than a double Kayak which were also known as divorce boats by the tour guides.
These are built of a very durable material and we have had no leaks even though they have seen some pretty rough use, but they are not cheap. The cheaper inflatables on the market are usually made of a much lighter material and prone to leaks.

https://www.advancedelements.com/day...-kayak-ae1012/
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
If you have already been in one, please disregard.

Inflatables are not so easy to get in and out of if you are not, shall we say, spry. From a dock, very difficult. From shore, tricky and likely you will need to be standing in the water to get in and may fall into the water while exiting.

I believe there is a segmented hard shell sit on top (easier to transport) that comes in three sections that can be a single (two sections) or a tandem (three sections). It might be an interesting alternative.
Kayaks are not easy to get in and out of if you are not, shall we say, spry!

Good point. A SUP is easier to get onto though you need more strength to use it. I have a hard shell kayak and an inflatable SUP. Getting out of the kayak can be difficult. I added this thing to my dock called a "Kaya-arm" which really helps at the dock and they have a shore version but I can't see it helping with an inflatable, at least, not the less expensive type.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #38

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
There are some good reviews on video of inflatables (the cheapest type)

Not the tandem explorer, but the Explorer is included.

This video is one of the best reviews I’ve seen. Good info!

Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:09 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
RE: "...Kayaks are not easy to get in and out of if you are not, shall we say, spry!"

Many years ago when we did our annual 25 mile "white water...sic" canoe trips from Hancock, NY down the Delaware River (Jerry's Canoes) we learned about canoe instability. But that was fun then. What's a SUP?
Old 11-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
What's a SUP?

I believe it is "stand up paddleboard", which isn't what is being discussed.
I don't think we're really discussing kayaks either. Seems we're discussing "boats".