Inflatable SUP - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Didn't mean to rock the boat. Just didn't see the need for a new thread. By the way, that video was excellent.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's my belief that if it's used in the water and carried in a visible place then you'd have to stop.

Don't know if not having an inflatable that's stowed away and not visible would be a problem or not. I certainly don't worry about it as there seems to be about a zero chance of them launching a pursuit and ticketing you the way they would if you had any type of watercraft visible and didn't stop.

Ron
Some states like Idaho require all watercraft to be inspected. Being paranoid after getting a ticket in Oregon for not stopping with Kayaks on the roof I stopped in September entering Idaho from Nevada with our inflatables in the SUV. Yes- all watercraft need to be inspected and they keep a record and give you a copy. And if there is another inspection station down the road you do it all over again. Then you also have to go online and get the Invasive Species document and download to your phone- or else go into some available location and get the actual sticker.

In Oregon they will ticket you for not stopping with a Stand Up Paddleboard.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #43

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
This video is one of the best reviews I’ve seen. Good info!

Jonathan
He has one (I couldn't find it just now) on the three types of inflatable kayaks- this kind, the most expensive kind, and one in between.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Kayaks are not easy to get in and out of if you are not, shall we say, spry!

Good point. A SUP is easier to get onto though you need more strength to use it. I have a hard shell kayak and an inflatable SUP. Getting out of the kayak can be difficult. I added this thing to my dock called a "Kaya-arm" which really helps at the dock and they have a shore version but I can't see it helping with an inflatable, at least, not the less expensive type.
And the unfortunate thing is that folks who have been kayaking for a long time one day find themselves struggling to exit from the kayak.

My volunteer job is making adaptive devices for disabled people. The owner of this nice kayak could no longer use it. I built a portable grab bar because she likes to paddle to remote beaches and needed a grab bar that she could take with her. Worked well and extended her kayaking years. Some days I think that I'm going to have to make one for myself.

Knowing Myron and Nancy my suggestion would be a sit-on kayak. Easiest to get in and out and would allow Myron another way to get some great photos.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
13-02-2014 2-20-41 PM5_resize.JPG   P4010030_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #45

Though what I really need is just something to pull against- my kayak has a huge cockpit so although I can stand by grabbing the front of it and pulling, I have to get there, first- not easy when sitting low in the kayak. something like the kaya-leg but that would allow me to lock the paddle in just in front of me at the right place for pulling up.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #46

The rope that runs forward gives the ability to pull firmly when trying to get up. The frame acts more as a steadying rail for the rest of the move.

Ron
Old 11-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #47

PVC pipe - such a wonderful, functional invention. Nice work.
Attached Thumbnails
Tvmast4.jpg  
Old 11-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #48

Trailer: 19’ 2020 vintage
Hobie i11s is the ticket

I bought the Hobie i11s inflatable combination stand up paddle board and fishing kayak, it Is super versatile. You can roll it up and fit in in the custom bag, weighs about 30 lbs, add the Mirage drive, seat, wheels and kayak style paddle and you are at about 65 lbs, I fit it in the cab of my truck easily, in fact you can transport it by air if you want. Super fast and stable in the water, best part is it is low to the water so you can catch and release fish without taking them out of the water. Stable in the wind and easy to control with the flip down rudder and Mirage drive. Down side they are super expensive but we all Like and pay for quality don’t we. My two cents.
Viking Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #49

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
We have a Sea Eagle 370...

https://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks/SE370

All around good inflatable for non-intensive recreational use. My wife and I enjoy bird watching in the small lakes and streams around our home-town.

Things I like:
- The white color is a little ugly (IMO) but it helps reflect sunlight and keeps the seats and sides cooler.
- The hull material is very durable. Seats are made from some canvas-like material and again, cool and comfortable.
- It rolls up easy into a large tub with wheels we carry in the back of our pickup camper shell. Don't have to mess with racks.

Things I don't like:
- Like every inflatable kayak I've ever been in it feels like you are driving a bathtub .
Old 11-09-2020, 08:40 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
I bought 2 Advanced Frame Kayaks years ago. They are inflatable, very stable and have withstood the test of time. We got singles rather than a double Kayak which were also known as divorce boats by the tour guides.
These are built of a very durable material and we have had no leaks even though they have seen some pretty rough use, but they are not cheap. The cheaper inflatables on the market are usually made of a much lighter material and prone to leaks.

https://www.advancedelements.com/day...-kayak-ae1012/
Just bought an Advanced Frame Sport kayak this summer. Very happy with it. Actually bought it at an LL Bean store.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:55 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
Just bought an Advanced Frame Sport kayak this summer. Very happy with it. Actually bought it at an LL Bean store.
I went paddling with a friend a few years ago and he had an A.F kayak. I'd expected that I'd have to tone down my usual pace in my rigid kayak but he moved along very well with it.

So I bought one and I now have a choice, carry a hard one on racks or the A.F. stowed away in the back of the truck. On a long trip with few actual kayak days I'd rather keep it stowed away. After the first few uses it goes together pretty quickly and it does paddle well.

I like it and whale sharks don't seem to mind it either.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0023_resize.JPG  
Old 11-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #52

After watching that video on the Advanced Frames folded up kayak, I'm sold.

OK-- couldn't resist -- Had to go dig up a few of my old kayak pictures from Tohikon Creek, PA.
Attached Thumbnails
Kayak02.jpg   Kayak03.jpg   Kayak04.jpg  
Old 11-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #53

On the AF kayaks, is the bow solid enough that my dog could sit or stand up there?
Attached Thumbnails
Sadie kayak contest.jpg  
Old 11-10-2020, 12:12 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
This guy really knows his stuff in explaining the essentially three kinds of kayaks:
Type I- single layer vinyl; $80-$250/ Type II- vinyl in fabric(inside zippers; $350-$700)/ Type III- Thick PVC; $ $800+.

He says the Type II are hard to dry and can have mold issues.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
This guy really knows his stuff in explaining the essentially three kinds of kayaks:
Type I- single layer vinyl; $80-$250/ Type II- vinyl in fabric(inside zippers; $350-$700)/ Type III- Thick PVC; $ $800+.

He says the Type II are hard to dry and can have mold issues.

I read a review or two that mentioned mold issues, so I have been very careful, though the humidity level in the Colorado foothills is very low. Seldom mold issues in anything out here.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
On the AF kayaks, is the bow solid enough that my dog could sit or stand up there?
Mine seems pretty stiff. Don’t know how much your dog or you weigh, but an average to heavy person with a max 25# dog would probably be ok. Not sure what it would do to stability or maneuverability, but structurally, I think it would be fine.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
Mine seems pretty stiff. Don’t know how much your dog or you weigh, but an average to heavy person with a max 25# dog would probably be ok. Not sure what it would do to stability or maneuverability, but structurally, I think it would be fine.
Her preference is to ride there or on my lap- neither of which helps with maneuverability but the Old Town I use is very very stable. I want to get a second kayak so I can keep one out on the front beach in the summer and the other back in the lagoon, but having one I could also take with me would be fun. She weighs about 30 lbs.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:28 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I am looking around for a camping on a lake option the two of us can do together that is pleasant, convenient exercise, cheap, not too strenuous, but fun. Cannot do hiking the trails much anymore. Afraid to buy an E-bike. Don't fish, but could learn. Swim, but she don't. Sneaking up on shore creatures with a camera would be heaven.

I found this on eBay. Would appreciate honest, aggressive thoughts from you kayak guys.
If she can't swim, she should not go on the water at all.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #59

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I used this site a couple years ago when I was looking for an inflatable for lake use. I have a whitewater inflatable but due to the drag of the bail holes in the floor, it is a pain to paddle on flat water. On the recommendation of this site I bought an Airis which is made by a SUP company, and it's really an sup with a shallow cockpit. The "inflate to" pressure is a lot more than the usual inflatable kayak. it weighs 20 lbs. Unfortunately they aren't making it anymore--i was lucky to find one that had been sitting in a san francisco warehouse for a couple years.

Anyway, her reviews are good. Inflatable Kayak Reviews - Compare Before You Buy.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #60

Swim, no, John, but she's a really good floater.