Inflatable SUP - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2019, 05:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Inflatable SUP

Hello All,
We usually kayak when we get to go camping, when we both go we have a double kayak we take but when its just me I take a single kayak. On my last trip I really wanted to fish as well but had done that very little from a kayak so was a little awkward while doing it. I've seen many people on paddle boards but never anyone fishing from one and saw someone on one that was made just for that. When I looked up the cost and the transport aspect made that one not feasible for me so I researched best fishing kayaks and to my surprise the top rated the last two years is a blow up by Aqua Marina, the Drift model, now I own one .
Get to try it out this weekend for the first time, any one on the forum have any experience with this product? I watched some videos and read a bunch of reviews so feel good about the choice. Biggest concern is never paddle boarded before so hope I have the balance for it. LOL

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Was looking at fishing kyaks earlier this week. Hobie makes a really nice model designed specifically for fishing. No personal experience with them- only what I saw online.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
With a 38" beam I wouldn't worry about balance.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
SUP Fun

Stand up paddleboarding is a great way to improve balance and core strength. Start out by watching SUP videos and do some paddling and turning before you start fishing. I use my paddleboard for ocean surfing and my wife for just cruising. I taught my wife's cousin to paddleboard when she was 75 and she did not fall in and rented her own board weeks later. Have fun and catch some fish!
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The fishing part is OK. It's the catching part that gets complicated. A fighting fish, a paddle in one hand trying to counter wind and align the boat, a net in the other, holding the rod with a third and winding the reel with a fourth.
I've fished from canoe an from pontoon boats. You need to anchor at both ends to properly control the boat.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
We bought an inflatable Jimmy Styks paddle board from Costco 3 or 4 years ago and bring it on all our lake side camping trips. The board itself is great as it is rock hard so it doesn't flex on the water. We are not very gentle with it as get tossed around and brought to and from the campsite daily. That said, it is very durable and doesn't appear to leak any air as will holds sufficient air pressure for at least a week. I was a bit skeptical when we bought it, but after a throughout trial I would highly recommend it!

While I would like to tell you I'm a great paddle boarder, the wife and I primarily bring a small cooler and Bluetooth speaker and float around on it (party island). It can handle both of us sitting on it and still stay well enough above the water. I end up paddling her around a lot which is quite tiring so we just bought a couple of the Costco Pelican kayaks a few weeks ago.
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
"Old Man's Kayak"

I got this thing about 15 years ago for trips on the Yellowstone and Missouri. After moving back south I decided two years ago to modify it so I could use a trolling motor instead of a paddle. I picked up a Chinese 12v 100ah lithium battery pack last year but because of shoulder surgery wasn't able to use it last season. I've been testing it the last few days. So far I've done 3 hours and 40 minutes continuous running. It takes me about an hour to get downstream to the Savannah River from the back yard with national forest on one side all the way. Going upstream I have national forest on both sides. I hope to be able to tow this thing behind the 5.0.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0192.jpg  
Old 04-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I’ve got a friend who teaches yoga on paddle boards. I guess if you can do yoga on one (or at least some can) then fishing from one should be ok. I haven’t tried either on a paddle board so can’t speak from experience.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #9

They make SUP's especially designed for yoga. They're usually pretty broad beamed. Deep Cove, at the epicenter of Yuppie paddling, has lots of obvious yoga types (hows that for a politically correct description ) doing things like head and hand stands on their boards. Always fun to watch as I paddle my conventional kayak.

Ron
Old 04-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
Was looking at fishing kyaks earlier this week. Hobie makes a really nice model designed specifically for fishing. No personal experience with them- only what I saw online.

While I only fish from canoes, my son in law has a Hobie Pro. Do pay attention to the weight before you buy. His is way more then I care to drag or load.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:32 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
They make SUP's especially designed for yoga. They're usually pretty broad beamed. Deep Cove, at the epicenter of Yuppie paddling, has lots of obvious yoga types (hows that for a politically correct description ) doing things like head and hand stands on their boards. Always fun to watch as I paddle my conventional kayak.

Ron
Ron, Does your kayak have the optional mega wake on demand button?
Old 04-12-2019, 12:42 AM   #12

What and spoil the show. I'm not that old that I don't still appreciate, ah, athletic prowness.

Ron
Old 04-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
With a 38" beam I wouldn't worry about balance.

Ron
Heck, that is a couple inches wider than my canoe, and it is very stable. Playing with dumping it at Coyote Beach, I was surprised how much effort we put into dumping it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinkledavid@gmail.com View Post
Stand up paddleboarding is a great way to improve balance and core strength.
No doubt, especially as an unbalanced beginner. I tried Ron in BC's wife's SUP in Mexico and on a 5-10 minutes paddle definitely got a good core workout just trying to stay with my head to the sky. My butt muscles really felt it. I would love to give it more of a try in the future.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Heck, that is a couple inches wider than my canoe, and it is very stable. Playing with dumping it at Coyote Beach, I was surprised how much effort we put into dumping it.
Yah, that was a pretty good demo of its stability. It looks virtually unsinkable.

Lots of good reasons for inflatables especially if you're on a long trip. They're safely stowed away most of the time. One less thing to watch out for. And no water craft inspections. That started to wear a little thin when we got two inspections in a single day.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2210132_resize.jpg  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Yah, that was a pretty good demo of its stability. It looks virtually unsinkable.

Lots of good reasons for inflatables especially if you're on a long trip. They're safely stowed away most of the time. One less thing to watch out for. And no water craft inspections. That started to wear a little thin when we got two inspections in a single day.

Ron
Though I have used it a bunch, it was mostly in colder water and I did not really want to check it's capacities there. I finally managed to get in solo, but it was pretty tough, but doing a recovery with two proved to be a piece of cake. Pretty happy with it's performance after being dumped.

Funny you mention the water craft inspections, a couple times David radioed me wondering why I did not stop.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 E19
Coincidentally, I just ordered an inflatable Sup (Vilano Navigator) last night. Only 32" wide though. Not planning to do any fishing from it. I am going to try attaching a lawn chair so I can sit down in comfort for a while now and then.

I debated hard about getting a Sea Eagle FishSup. https://inflatableboats4less.com/product/fs126/ For $1100 it comes with motor mount, electric trolling motor, swivel seat, electric pump, and cart. But I could not bring myself to spend that much. And I decided that all I really wanted right now was something lightweight and simple to toss on the water and climb aboard for a quick paddle.

I took a class for $20 one Saturday, put on by a local yak/sup dealer, and we all spent about an hour and a half paddling boards around a little lake. The lesson must have been ok, because I never fell off even once. It was fun, but wow were my legs sore for two days afterward! Now I figure if I can sit down at normal chair height at times to rest and relax, and build up slowly toward longer stretches over a few days, I think it will be good. I plan to take both a yak paddle (for when I'm sitting) and a sup paddle.

From the class, I learned that you want to start on hands and knees and then, with feet shoulder width apart and facing front, stand up very slowly with paddle in the water (this helps you balance yourself, as you have a lever to push up or down to stabilize yourself). Get the paddle into the water any time you feel unsteady; it's an important tool if there is a boat wake or a wave or wind gust. Paddling motion should involve rotating your upper body and not just using your arm strength (similar to kayak paddling). I hope that helps a bit.

I have had a couple of kayaks (briefly) but I really disliked the sitting location/position being so close to the floor with legs almost straight out. Being able to stand when desired as well as sit at normal sitting height when desired will, I think and hope, make this Sup experience enjoyable.

Is a Sup subject to watercraft inspections in many states? Now I'm wondering!
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #17

I like a canoe. I can sit, kneel, stand or lay down.
Attached Thumbnails
charly fishing.jpg  
Old 04-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
How wide is the one you stand in? Always wanted to try poling but never did.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post

Is a Sup subject to watercraft inspections in many states? Now I'm wondering!
It's my belief that if it's used in the water and carried in a visible place then you'd have to stop.

Don't know if not having an inflatable that's stowed away and not visible would be a problem or not. I certainly don't worry about it as there seems to be about a zero chance of them launching a pursuit and ticketing you the way they would if you had any type of watercraft visible and didn't stop.

Ron
Old 04-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
How wide is the one you stand in? Always wanted to try poling but never did.

33" at 4" waterline.
What matters more is the shape of the hull. The Prospector is designed to be leaned to one side and to turn more easily than other tripping hulls. For fun we would see how far over the side of the canoe we could extend our bodies while sculling the paddle so the canoe stayed upright. Could usually extend so that only part of the body in the canoe was from the knees down.
Watched friends surf a wave on a river. Stern man controlled the boat and bow woman did a head stand on the bow seat. Wish I had a picture,.

16' Prospector - Tripping Canoes | Clipper Canoes | Canadian Canoe Manufacturer