Kayaks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2022, 09:25 AM   #21

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We came across two 8'-0" Lifetime sit on top kayaks at Walmart last summer for $41 each. Shockingly inexpensive. We are looking to take them with us once we get our 21C in October.

We have a 5'-6" bed Ford F-150 with an Undercover hinged hard cover and am considering mounting some sort of support on top of it to carry these kayaks. The cover is made of ABS plastic and can support 650 lbs.

Has anyone mounting something this before?
Attached Thumbnails
thule_tracker_ii_main_image.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #22

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Before I had a cap on my truck, I used a Thule XPorter Pro rack but it mounts to the truck rails. I bought mine on Craigslist for $300.

Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:23 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
We came across two 8'-0" Lifetime sit on top kayaks at Walmart last summer for $41 each. Shockingly inexpensive. We are looking to take them with us once we get our 21C in October.

We have a 5'-6" bed Ford F-150 with an Undercover hinged hard cover and am considering mounting some sort of support on top of it to carry these kayaks. The cover is made of ABS plastic and can support 650 lbs.

Your image of a rack slide mount appears to be useful for your application. In the past, I've added permanent clips to a pick-up cap I had and a passenger compartment rack as I was hauling a 21' kayak. I used Yakima crossbars, and your image appears to show Thule crossbars. Both are sturdy brands.

I'd use large washers or backing plates if you do attach it to your cap roof.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Your image of a rack slide mount appears to be useful for your application. In the past, I've added permanent clips to a pick-up cap I had and a passenger compartment rack as I was hauling a 21' kayak. I used Yakima crossbars, and your image appears to show Thule crossbars. Both are sturdy brands.

I'd use large washers or backing plates if you do attach it to your cap roof.
Thanks for the feedback. Especially, "large washers and backing plates"

I just pulled an image from Google for idea purposes. No brand selections at this time. I might even just build something myself.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:49 PM   #25

Buy it, don't build it

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Especially, "large washers and backing plates"

I just pulled an image from Google for idea purposes. No brand selections at this time. I might even just build something myself.
I've built plenty of things I could have just bought. I get that part. So my advice is that there's plenty of things to build, but it's a lot simpler, quicker and easier to buy some rack system than reinvent one. And the ones out there are robust, well designed and quick to deploy or remove. Of course, all that depends on the size of your wallet and available tinkering time.

YMMV

That said, somewhere I have a pic of a truck capper wooden canoe rack built by someone. Saw it in a parking lot in the U.P. of Michigan, I think. A thing of beauty. I'll look for that image, but good luck on me finding it anytime soon.
Save and bank up your efforts for mods for your 2022 Escape.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:49 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
The Point 65 Tequila

Point 65 are modular kayaks, a 12' kayak breaks into 3 pieces.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:35 AM   #27

Custom roof rack

Utterly amazing. I found the picture of the truck rack I mentioned, easily and quickly, among my many less-than-organized images. My lucky day....maybe.
Pic taken in the U.P. of MI, somewhere around Grand Marais, MI, not Grand Marais MN. Both G.M.'s are on Lake Superior.
I like all the "lightening" slots and holes in this construction. They make for a more organic looking structure and provide many tie-down points.
It's a thing of utility and beauty, to my eye.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0428.jpg  
Old 01-17-2022, 06:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Utterly amazing. I found the picture of the truck rack I mentioned, easily and quickly, among my many less-than-organized images. My lucky day....maybe.
Pic taken in the U.P. of MI, somewhere around Grand Marais, MI, not Grand Marais MN. Both G.M.'s are on Lake Superior.
I like all the "lightening" slots and holes in this construction. They make for a more organic looking structure and provide many tie-down points.
I think those slot are there to reduce drag.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:49 AM   #29

Yes

Quote:
I think those slot are there to reduce drag.
Yes, of course, that, along with adding visual interest, esthetic beauty, and artistic balance of scads of tie-down points.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
The Point 65 Tequila

Point 65 are modular kayaks, a 12' kayak breaks into 3 pieces.

I'd like to see them try an Eskimo roll with that group of paddlers.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:42 AM   #31

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:

I have an F-150 with the same bed and I ordered a ARE cap with rails and a rack similar to the picture shown. We have used it for several years for carrying kayaks all across the USA and have been happy with it. Interestingly, we get (slightly) better gas mileage with the kayaks on top and less bugs on the trailer.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:19 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Utterly amazing. I found the picture of the truck rack I mentioned...

It is a work of art. I assume that the pattern at the middle of each side bar is decorative, rather than functional. Plywood would likely have been a better choice, structurally, but it wouldn't look the same.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:28 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Utterly amazing. ...
I suspect that this rack will create a lot of wind noise while on the road. That can become unbearable after a while.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:38 AM   #34

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I have been looking at getting an inflatable Kayak so my wife and I can paddle around the various lakes and some protected sea water places we go to. We aren't looking at doing anything serious, but something stable and large enough for the two of us.
In our search we came across the ORKA KAYAK by Airwal Sports. They use the drop stitch technology not only for the floors but for the sides as well resulting in a vert rigid kayak. At 15' long and 32" wide it is virtually the same size as the Advanced Elements Convertible Elite, but in my opinion has a cleaner design. Also comes in 10 lbs lighter due to the drop stitch technology. The price point is similair to the Advanced Element kayak. It also comes with two foot rests versus 1 for the Advanced Element.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #35

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
Thanks all, alot of diversity in the crowd of kayakers here. I think I just need to test one of the inflatable yaks I'm interested in to get a good feel if it will fit my needs. Big problem is I have no Idea where there is a company in Florida that offers this service.
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
I have two tandem kayaks..one is a Feathercraft inflatable, the other is a Hobie.

As you might guess, the Feathercraft wins for being easy to pack and travel, and works best in shallow water. The Hobie is a much more comfortable and stable fishing platform, and a beast into wind. It is usable in shallow water but not with the pedal drive. If fishing was my main objective I'd bring the Hobie, no doubt. But the Hobie is heavy and puts me at the limit or beyond for what my rig can carry.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:05 PM   #37

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK View Post
Thanks all, alot of diversity in the crowd of kayakers here. I think I just need to test one of the inflatable yaks I'm interested in to get a good feel if it will fit my needs. Big problem is I have no Idea where there is a company in Florida that offers this service.
This is a pricey option (as all Hobie boats are), but the Hobie Mirage iTrek series are inflatables with the Hobie MirageDrive pedal system. Starting price is a whopping $2,500 (yikes!). If that doesn’t have you running for the door, go to the Hobie website, click “Kayaks” on the top banner, select “See where to buy,” then use the drop down menu and choose “All Kayaks.” Next type in your zip code, and your closest Hobie dealers will be listed.

Using your location, I found a Hobie dealer in Fort Lauderdale - Nautical Ventures. They show the Hobie iTreks on their website (although all models may not be available yet - this is a brand new series coming out in “early” 2022). It looks like they offer demos.

Good luck with your search!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:49 PM   #38

Nice looking watercraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
In our search we came across the ORKA KAYAK by Airwal Sports.
Looks like you've done your homework. This could be a very nice boat. Proof is in the pudding......can you take one for a test paddle?
Old 01-18-2022, 01:49 PM   #39

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
The hobie kayaks keep getting mentioned , looking at their weights the seem to be a beast to get on a high set of racks and their cost on a rotomolded boat is quite expensive. The new hobie inflatable cost more then I would like to spend on 2 kayaks. IMHO you pay for the hobie name . Has anyone had any experience with the star pike kayak ?
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:03 PM   #40

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Foxhunt has the Oru. I've been looking at those but probably won't go for one before I'm ready for a long trip.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote