Kayaks - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2022, 07:24 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have you ever gone on a white water rafting with guides? Chances are it was on an NRS boat. Their kayak line is STAR and REI, among others sell them. We bought two Paragon kayaks after tiring of the noise & constant checking of the straps while on 5K mile trips. Way more comfortable than our hard sides ones as well. Buying it from REI takes the stress out as you can return it if you don't like it.
https://www.rei.com/b/star/c/kayaks
Old 01-18-2022, 08:40 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Looks like you've done your homework. This could be a very nice boat. Proof is in the pudding......can you take one for a test paddle?
They do offer demos but only in Vancouver, but not until it warms up a bit. They were offering a discount for pre-orders against their most recent shipment so I went ahead and ordered one. The discount will not be offered once they have their inventory, which is expected before the end of the week.

Everything I have seen or read about this kayak seems to fit the bill for what we want. I really like the straighter sides versus round "tubes". The drop stitch technology is the same that is used on inflatable paddle boards, so very rigid.

Once I get it I will put it in the water and see how it goes.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:43 PM   #43

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
I have been looking at getting an inflatable Kayak so my wife and I can paddle around the various lakes and some protected sea water places we go to. We aren't looking at doing anything serious, but something stable and large enough for the two of us.
In our search we came across the ORKA KAYAK by Airwal Sports. They use the drop stitch technology not only for the floors but for the sides as well resulting in a vert rigid kayak. At 15' long and 32" wide it is virtually the same size as the Advanced Elements Convertible Elite, but in my opinion has a cleaner design. Also comes in 10 lbs lighter due to the drop stitch technology. The price point is similair to the Advanced Element kayak. It also comes with two foot rests versus 1 for the Advanced Element.
I hadn't heard of the Orka, very interesting! The appearance reminded me of the Sea Eagle "Travel Canoe." Looking at the specs, the Orka is 2/3 the weight of the Sea Eagle, the sides are lower (to catch less wind), and the price is much lower also.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:21 PM   #44

Trailer: 19’ 2020 vintage
Talking Hobie inflatable oh ya

Hobie inflatable kayak and I have one so my take is as listed below.
Mobility: The Hobie can go anywhere a canoe can go. The inflatable kayak weighs 30 lbs and with the supplied roller bag , air pump, take apart paddle, seat and Mirage drive the combined weight is approximately 65 lbs. Transportable in a small car,ATV,truck, also air mobile by commercial air carrier if you are going somewhere exotic, or even on a Cessna or Beaver. Everything packs down to 4' x 4' x 20". The Hobie is fast it will leave a wake using the Mirage drive.and can be as slow as you want for fishing.

Versatility: The Hobie is multi use as pedal power kayak with rudder down, paddle powered kayak with rudder up, stand up paddle board with rudder up and supplied skeg inserted. Great for just lying on top and sunning yourself or kids and seniors.

Things to know;
-Availibility is a problem as Hobie did not make any in 2021 due to material scarcity and quality control issues. They say that product will be available in Spring 2022. Note I have not had any problems with my 2020 vintage.
-Hobie has changed the name from Hobie i11s to iTrek or something similiar.
- little wind resistance which allows you to stay on the water in windy conditions, the drop down rudder and the fabulous Mirage drive has lots of power to keep you where you want to be. It is very stable but dont push your luck. Surpasses tin boat, inflatable boat or canoe in staying on the water but not in carrying capacity practicality, no boat can do everything.
- like a canoe it is excellent in shallow water and reeds
- because you are low to the water you can release fish without taking them out of water
- Hobie is not cheap but my feeling is you get what you pay for and the old saying "buy once cry once" applies. Excellent engineering.
- My Hobie is one of the most fun things i have ever had - so easy to spend alot of time using it. The return of hours of use to investment cost is pretty good.
Viking Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:27 PM   #45

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I hadn't heard of the Orka, very interesting! The appearance reminded me of the Sea Eagle "Travel Canoe." Looking at the specs, the Orka is 2/3 the weight of the Sea Eagle, the sides are lower (to catch less wind), and the price is much lower also.
I was thinking it compares better to the Sea Eagle Razorlite 473rl. They also have a single (393rl). Does the ORKA make a single? I just saw the tandem.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:52 PM   #46

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Okra does appear to be like our SeaEagle RazorLite 473rl mentioned earlier.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:02 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Okra does appear to be like our SeaEagle RazorLite 473rl mentioned earlier.
Hi, Randy. Yes, I saw that you have the RazorLite. How does it track? What worries me most on the inflatables is that they just drift on the water and you end up zig zagging all over the place.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:13 AM   #48

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
As far as the kayak goes since you said you like to fish I would recommend the Native Watercraft 10' Slayer pedal drive. I LOVE MINE and I have the older model without the improved propel drive.

1. At 62lbs (without drive) lightest on the market

2. 400lb capacity so for 10' can carry a lot if you want

3. Has dry storage compartment.

4. In my opinion also paddles pretty well

We have a place on a lake and enjoy using it there but when I do take it camping with us with a little effort I can get it on top of my Armada.

Enjoy the journey,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:35 AM   #49

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
I was thinking it compares better to the Sea Eagle Razorlite 473rl. They also have a single (393rl). Does the ORKA make a single? I just saw the tandem.
ORKA only makes a tandem, but you can convert it to a single by moving the front seat to the central anchoring points.

I can see the similarity of the Sea Eagle Canoe and the ORKA. They both use the drop stitch technology for their floor and their sides. giving them the flatter sides and rigidity.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:43 AM   #50

It tracks “okay.”. It’s basically a flat bottom low sided canoe with a fin. Kayaks can be designed to track straight, or turn on a dime. It’s light, so wind does affect it, but less than a whitewater canoe on flat water. The 473 is better tandem, but it can be paddled single. With the right sail kit, it sails decently. It “tracks” better than some poorly designed hard kayaks, but not as well as a superbly designed boat. It’s fast for an inflatable. Every boat is a set of compromises and what works for one owner may or may not for another.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:42 AM   #51

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
We sold our Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100’s when it became apparent that roof racks for 60 lb. boats just don’t cut it anymore. If fact, we are not excited about mounting two large sails on top of the truck even if they weigh 1/2 of what the Tarpons did.

Started looking for lighter and easier to pack, store and carry options. At the moment, we are leaning toward a couple of Oru Beach LTs. 12 feet long, 26 lbs. and they fold into themselves to form a box for storage. They can ride under the truck cap and take up relatively little space.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:10 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK View Post
I currently am fishing and cruising in a gheenoe 13ft with a breakdown trailer and 9.8 hp motor. The boat goes on racks and every thing else takes up the entire truck bed . This was a great system when we had a larger trailer. We just got our 21c last month and realize we are going to need the truck bed for some items that aren't easily stored in the trailer. So some kind of bed topper and kayaks our in our near future. What kind of kayaks are you using? Hard shell vs inflatable ? We fish alot. What's the good and bad of what you are using? I like the idea of the new inflatables but there are no dealers in south Florida for me to go check them out .
because we got the 5.0 we cannot carry our old hard shelled kayaks. So we invested in Oru boats - the origami fold up kayaks. They are awesome. And we got the carrying bags so we can fold them up into a large backpack and pack em in where we want to go. They are about 25 lbs and we love them.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:31 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
It tracks “okay.”. It’s basically a flat bottom low sided canoe with a fin. Kayaks can be designed to track straight, or turn on a dime. It’s light, so wind does affect it, but less than a whitewater canoe on flat water. The 473 is better tandem, but it can be paddled single. With the right sail kit, it sails decently. It “tracks” better than some poorly designed hard kayaks, but not as well as a superbly designed boat. It’s fast for an inflatable. Every boat is a set of compromises and what works for one owner may or may not for another.
Thank you kindly for the review. The RazorLite is on our list if/when we add a more portable option to our kayak “fleet.”
Old 01-30-2022, 12:21 PM   #54

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
The topic has been previously discussed at length. Search this forum with kayak as the keyword.

Research and check out Porta-Bote. www.porta-bote.com. You can use your outboard motor with one. RV friendly.
So I followed my own advice and I've added to my armada fleet of watercraft, and I'm now only up to 3, down from a high of 4. I picked this folding rowboat up in Iowa City, IA a week ago. 12.5 feet OAL, 5' beam, it folds down to about 4" thick and 12.5' long. Came with a 3.5 Mercury outboard, dolly cart wheels and rowing oars.

I will sell this Spring a 18' tandem sea kayak I've had for 37 years. Fleet reduction. Getting a bit too old to sit in a kayak for hours and work paddling. This Porta-Bote, I can just step into and out of. 80 lbs. heavy
Get the right gear or get out is a sentiment I have. We'll see if this is right.
Just for messin' about in boats and being on the water.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-3079.jpg   IMG-3080.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:50 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Love the boat in front of the fireplace.....
Old 01-30-2022, 02:49 PM   #56

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Love the boat in front of the fireplace.....
Yeah, me too, now that you mention it! Probably best to try jigging there; no room for a decent cast.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:00 PM   #57

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Houseboat

That's my front room marina. Below zero cold that day to be noodling with the boat out in the garage. Use what ya got.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:08 PM   #58

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My wife still hasn't forgiven me for fibreglassing tie downs into a canoe in our living room.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:40 PM   #59

For all of the things I’ve done in the house because it was too cold elsewhere, I have a very forgiving wife.