Look out for S/H charges - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Look out for S/H charges

Recently, I had posted about purchasing a part to repair our BAL C-Jack stabilizer on our 17.
"... I took the stabilizer off to straighten it, but the jack screw ("drive rod") was bent. Called Norco Industries (mfr. of BAL products), they told me to call Colaw RV, their parts distributor, in the S.E. US. A week later, I had the replacement drive rod. Took 10 minutes to install. It took talking to 5 people on the phone, but all were nice, helpful, and knowlegeable."

We were initially charged $11 on our credit card. About a week later, we were charged an additional $26.11. After contacting UPS with the info on the shipping label, We found that the 2+ lb. part via UPS ground was $20.92. So it looks like our most cost-effective course of action would have been to buy an entirely new 22" C-jack stabilizer on Amazon Prime (Pair of them, with free shipping, for $81).
So, next time, we don't think we'll deal with Norco Industries/BAL, and their designated distributor, Colaw RV in Carthage, MO.
Not complaining; just stating how the business is run, for your information.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Recently, I had posted about purchasing a part to repair our BAL C-Jack stabilizer on our 17.
"... I took the stabilizer off to straighten it, but the jack screw ("drive rod") was bent. Called Norco Industries (mfr. of BAL products), they told me to call Colaw RV, their parts distributor, in the S.E. US. A week later, I had the replacement drive rod. Took 10 minutes to install. It took talking to 5 people on the phone, but all were nice, helpful, and knowlegeable."

We were initially charged $11 on our credit card. About a week later, we were charged an additional $26.11. After contacting UPS with the info on the shipping label, We found that the 2+ lb. part via UPS ground was $20.92. So it looks like our most cost-effective course of action would have been to buy an entirely new 22" C-jack stabilizer on Amazon Prime (Pair of them, with free shipping, for $81).
So, next time, we don't think we'll deal with Norco Industries/BAL, and their designated distributor, Colaw RV in Carthage, MO.
Not complaining; just stating how the business is run, for your information.
Thanks for the head's up Don . Shipping is getting pricey . I sell my old VW parts and I have to price everything very low to make up for the shipping costs . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Shipping can certainly ruin what looks like
A sweet deal. However a lot depends on the willingness of the shipper to go the extra
mile sometimes. I worked for a landscape materials retailer. We handled a line of pruners and showed them in our online catalog. There were about 25 models. One day I got a call from an orchid grower in Hawaii. He asked if we had a certain model
of a small roundnosed unit which had been discontinued. I checked, we had 19 pairs of this pruner. "Would I sell them all? he asked. They were about 15 a pair. We established the cost and then he asked very tentatively, how much to ship to Hawaii. I shipped them to him for about $14 total as a middle sized priority US Mail box. Seller and buyer were delighted. If it fits it ships.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Shipping can certainly ruin what looks like
A sweet deal. However a lot depends on the willingness of the shipper to go the extra
mile sometimes. I worked for a landscape materials retailer. We handled a line of pruners and showed them in our online catalog. There were about 25 models. One day I got a call from an orchid grower in Hawaii. He asked if we had a certain model
of a small roundnosed unit which had been discontinued. I checked, we had 19 pairs of this pruner. "Would I sell them all? he asked. They were about 15 a pair. We established the cost and then he asked very tentatively, how much to ship to Hawaii. I shipped them to him for about $14 total as a middle sized priority US Mail box. Seller and buyer were delighted. If it fits it ships.
Dave
Yes those priority boxes and envelopes work sometimes . But sometimes not for some car parts , too big and doesn't work out of the United States . I have shipped all over the world .
I am at a time in my life , downsizing and getting rid of stuff . I had my bugs and fun , now it's money in the hand , which is getting harder to come by as you get older . And why have all this stuff sitting around . The kids won't want it and probably throw it away . Pat
Old 03-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Shipping and handling is getting to be a big money making racket. Just like those TV ads where they will give you the second one free, Just pay separate shipping and handling. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Yes those priority boxes and envelopes work sometimes . But sometimes not for some car parts , too big and doesn't work out of the United States . I have shipped all over the world .
I am at a time in my life , downsizing and getting rid of stuff . I had my bugs and fun , now it's money in the hand , which is getting harder to come by as you get older . And why have all this stuff sitting around . The kids won't want it and probably throw it away . Pat
Pat,
I didn't know you had VW's. I had a 56 small window, that had 450,000 mi. when I sold it to a restorer. We had them until we switched to Honda's. For a while, I still would rebuild engines and do some transmission and electrical work for people on the side. Finally, I just loaded everything "VW" up, and took it to Oxnard to a shop for almost nothing! Anybody having VW questions, we've got answers, but on this forum, only if they're towing Escapes.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Pat,
I didn't know you had VW's. I had a 56 small window, that had 450,000 mi. when I sold it to a restorer. We had them until we switched to Honda's. For a while, I still would rebuild engines and do some transmission and electrical work for people on the side. Finally, I just loaded everything "VW" up, and took it to Oxnard to a shop for almost nothing! Anybody having VW questions, we've got answers, but on this forum, only if they're towing Escapes.
Yup Don the car I wanted so bad for my first , then life happens so didn't get them until later in life . I have had 3 . I getting ready to sell my 1969 because parts are getting thinned out . It is too hard to get on ground and adjust valves , etc.DMV fees are getting out of hand also . So she has to go . At least I have the memories . Pat
Old 03-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
..... It is too hard to get on ground and adjust valves , etc...... Pat
Oh, yeah, I'd forgotten (selectively failed to remember!) about that.
The back does not like the ground anymore!
Old 03-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I'd forgotten (selectively failed to remember!) about that.
The back does not like the ground anymore!
Back, sides , knees , everything hurts . Pat
Old 03-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I live in SE Alaska and shipping is a killer sometimes. Used to be companies (not very long ago) wouldn't ship their products to me cause they only ship within the United States and never to foreign addresses. Then I'd explain that Alaska is a state ..... sometimes the person on the other end of the phone would believe me and sometimes they wouldn't. I still get shippers who refuse to ship to Alaska ... no reason given.

My biggest frustration is with companies who will only ship by UPS or FedEx. I want my orders shipped by the United States Postal Service. The price is generally 30-50% cheaper by USPS and the Post Office has never lost my mail... ever.

Not long ago I wanted to mail a package to the lower 48 from Juneau. The Post Office wanted $30 and I thought that was high so I drove to the UPS office - closed ... only open from 7-8 pm .... drove to FedEx and they wanted $140.00. What!!! Well back to the Post Office for $30.00

My message: Beware of the privatization of Governmental services.

The latest of concern to me are the various private companies who broadcast weather forecasts ..... such as Weather Underground and others. They are currently lobbing Congress to be able to have exclusive rights to NOAA weather forecasts and then dish those same forecasts out to the rest of us as a subscription service. Sigh

Tom
Old 03-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Yup Don the car I wanted so bad for my first ,.... . Pat
My dream car at the time, I actually had a chance to buy, but, but waited a minute or two too long, and a friend got it. I got to rebuild his motor. It was 1953, split rear window bug, and it had a VW hemi engine with Okrasa dual-port heads, Porsche 32 mm Solex carbs. Probably took the 25 HP (pre-36 HP engine) to about 50 HP.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
....I want my orders shipped by the United States Postal Service. The price is generally 30-50% cheaper by USPS and the Post Office has never lost my mail... ever.
Tom
Tom,
Yup. T'is so. When we ordered chains for the Escape and Tow, we got them from Glacier Chains in Anchorage. They shipped them USPS. Perfect!

People thinking again: what a concept!
Old 03-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I will never again use UPS to ship from US to Canada after receiving a bill for $50 for customs clearance.
USPS has never charged me for customs. USPS hands off to Canada Post and service is great.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I will never again use UPS to ship from US to Canada after receiving a bill for $50 for customs clearance.
USPS has never charged me for customs. USPS hands off to Canada Post and service is great.
$50? You got lucky. We have had a few around the $100 mark. I just refuse to pay, and negotiate them down. Still, a real PITA, and I avoid them if at all possible.

USPS does include a very fair $10 brokerage fee in all shipments to Canada. This is what all couriers should have to do. I understand I will have to pay my 5% GST, taxes are inevitable, but the outrageous brokerage fees that UPS and FedEx charge are crazy.

The two solar packages I received from Hong Kong via DHL had super cheap charges at the door. I could not fathom why, until I read the declared value, which was WAY less than cost.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #15

Quote:
My dream car at the time, I actually had a chance to buy, but, but waited a minute or two too long, and a friend got it. I got to rebuild his motor. It was 1953, split rear window bug, and it had a VW hemi engine with Okrasa dual-port heads, Porsche 32 mm Solex carbs. Probably took the 25 HP (pre-36 HP engine) to about 50 HP.
The 1969 I have now has air condtioning ( rear pop out windows) . I kind of like my cars all stock , probably because I couldn't get it when I was 18 . I have had to put back whatever was missing . One of my bugs had dual carbs when I got it , going up the street watched the gas gauge lower real fast . Traded those real fast for fast enough 34pict carb . Pat
Old 03-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
The US Postal Service is great IF what you want to ship will fit in one of their "if it fits it ships" boxes and weighs a lot - like shipping a brick. Over the past 3 rate increases for those boxes the very light but bulky items I ship now cost less than the postage at USPS.

All shippers now use a volume based formula where the cubic inches of the package is a larger factor than the weight; for me Fedex is now the cheapest of the lot (UPS, USPS, and Fedex) despite the fact that I have to buy my own boxes.

I've stopped shipping to Canada specifically for these reasons. Too many complaints that I can't remedy.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
........All shippers now use a volume based formula where the cubic inches of the package is a larger factor than the weight; .....
Oh, Yeah.... Girth units. Watch this:

Old 03-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The US Postal Service is great IF what you want to ship will fit in one of their "if it fits it ships" boxes and weighs a lot - like shipping a brick. Over the past 3 rate increases for those boxes the very light but bulky items I ship now cost less than the postage at USPS.

All shippers now use a volume based formula where the cubic inches of the package is a larger factor than the weight; for me Fedex is now the cheapest of the lot (UPS, USPS, and Fedex) despite the fact that I have to buy my own boxes.

I've stopped shipping to Canada specifically for these reasons. Too many complaints that I can't remedy.
Sometimes cheaper to use your own box . But things changed after Jan. I saved more by putting little heavy box in their flat rate envelope suggested by a satellite post office it came to 25% off 8.00 instead of 12.00. Pat PS love the dividers you made for us .
Old 03-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
I ship a LOT, both outgoing and incoming. I try to only ship out by Canada Post or USPS, they have always provided great service and the lowest prices.

When I have items shipped to me my first choice is also Canada Post or USPS but many companies will only use couriers so my first choice here is DHL, second is FedEx and last and the one I avoid if at all possible is UPS, they have the highest brokerage fees and has screwed up, lost or damaged more orders than I can count.

Another note is that as a business you can select a shipping method that you believe is best, but you have no control on costs, brokerage fees or care in handling.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I discovered how expensive international shipping can be when I had my cell phone and wifi boosters shipped directly to ETI. Both shipped USPS priority international- the only choice given at checkout. Shipping charges for Wilson cell phone booster were $84; for the Wifi Ranger shipping was $63.

When I received email confirmations from Tina at ETI that they had been delivered, she also informed that an additional $53 (Wilson) and $91 (wifi ranger) were charged for various duties, PST, GST. These have been added to my build sheet. Not sure how the charges break down, but when I look at the numbers, I paid an additional 25% for these items.
RF Paul is offline   Reply With Quote