Looking for a good bike rack under $200 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I probably do less "ripping downhill on a single track" (what ever that means) than you Jim. The folding bikes of yesteryear have improved considerably since the add on of disc breaks, suspension and multi gears.
Have you heard, there's such a thing as colour TV now Jim. The programming is still the same tho.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fSvi_oBqAe...etstreamD8.jpg
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
When I am ripping downhill on a single track, definitely not wanting a folding bike. I know there is a few with 26" wheels, but not any good ones I have seen.

For cruising campgrounds they can be fine though.

J Mac, if you were to try a 1UP, you would find your comfort zone.
But you can take much tighter corners with a folding bike.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Thats true. They're like folding BMX bikes.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:20 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
I have used this model with success.
I also purchase an Allen Sports bike rack, the 2 bike size, and also use one additional velcro strap for stability. No complaints so far. I notice that the price on Amazon has risen by about 25 USD in 6 months since I made my purchase. They must think highly of their product.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Got to say, I am so glad I purchased a 1up rack. Best bike rack I have ecer owned, by far. And I can monitor the bikes with my rear view camera as I can see the handlebars quite well.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:38 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I probably do less "ripping downhill on a single track" (what ever that means) than you Jim. The folding bikes of yesteryear have improved considerably since the add on of disc breaks, suspension and multi gears.
Have you heard, there's such a thing as colour TV now Jim. The programming is still the same tho.
This video shows what single track is. Turn your volume down, as my camera was loose in the mount. You will just have to check a couple spots, as it is long and yet unedited. This was part of a ride along Lake Minnewanka last year.

Folding bikes have improved, but the still do not match the quality of components that my bikes have. Trust me, my carbon fibre mountain bike with 125mm of travel front and back with disc breaks and lotsa gears is quite modern.
https://bearleealive.smugmug.com/GoP...i-k73tCdR/1920

Oh yeah, I can still remember back in Junior High, when my buddy Frank's dad bought a colour TV, the first I ever saw. Thought that was quite the advance in technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
That would be cool if they could osculate around some tight bends.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:10 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Wow! That was quite a ride. What a trail! How long was that trail? Looks like ykur Go-Pro really flattened out that trail but picked up the rocks and roots that were growling at you.

Thanks for sharing Jim

Tom
Old 06-16-2016, 06:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Wow! That was quite a ride. What a trail! How long was that trail? Looks like your Go-Pro really flattened out that trail but picked up the rocks and roots that were growling at you.

Thanks for sharing Jim

Tom
That trail was about 22 km, up the lake and back. Not a real hard right, but being on the side of a mountain along the lake, there was a lot of up and down. Oh yeah, and a ton of rocks.

I wish I was move adept at editing, and knew how to add music instead of that noise. I have a couple other videos somewhere where we do a few km in a row of downhill. Now that is fun!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
This video shows what single track is. Turn your volume down, as my camera was loose in the mount. You will just have to check a couple spots, as it is long and yet unedited. This was part of a ride along Lake Minnewanka last year.

Folding bikes have improved, but the still do not match the quality of components that my bikes have. Trust me, my carbon fibre mountain bike with 125mm of travel front and back with disc breaks and lotsa gears is quite modern.
https://bearleealive.smugmug.com/GoP...i-k73tCdR/1920
Sweet! I have done some riding like this in the past and what a great feeling being on a highly capable bike with ample suspension travel and disc brakes. Many would just look at some of the trails ridden today and never believe a bike could go up or down it!
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Sweet! I have done some riding like this in the past and what a great feeling being on a highly capable bike with ample suspension travel and disc brakes. Many would just look at some of the trails ridden today and never believe a bike could go up or down it!
Plus, that trail pales compared to some. You are right that the new and improved features in bikes have improved their (and the riders) capabilities a lot. Though, I usually take my old Specialized Rock Hopper, which was a good bike but has no suspension at all, with me on the trailer, as with hybrid tires (good for both smooth and rough trails) it makes a great all round bike. When I know I am trail riding, the full suspension bike comes along.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Nice work on the video. You're correct. Today's folding bikes may not match the components you have on your bike...until ordered, similar to what one is to expect when comparing a dirt bike's components to a road bikes. I'd personally coast down that "single track" on my Jetstream D8 with no hesitation as to the reliability of the bike, but that's not my kind of bike riding. My hesitation would be with me...as the rider.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My mountain biking started back in '88 before there was any such thing as suspension on mountain bikes. Just up the road from me is Cane Creek Cycling Components, the designer of the first rock shock. I saw a titanium one they made for Greg LeMond's road bike for riding the cobblestone roads in one of the European bike races. We've got some great single track all around the Western North Carolina area.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
The Swagman RV2 I hope will work for me. This fits the 2 in. receiver securely and should not bounce like the smaller ones do with the adaptor. I got the idea from this site and have compared to others. I like the price and function of it. I have/had a "hanging style" rack and that is going to the Goodwill. Check it out at Amazon for about $172.00.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #34

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What's an RV2 don't see such.

on edit: Must mean an XC2-RV, except it doesn't exist on the Swagman site, just Amazon.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
If memory serves Bob, Swagman discontinued that model so amazon must be blowing iut old stock.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We sent back to Amazon a Swagman XC2-RV after it started rubbing the paint off our frames. Also was hard to release the hold down hooks.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:21 PM   #37

I too had a similar Swagman, and dumped it quick after it started rubbing paint off the bar where it attached, and a buddy following me said how much it was bouncing around in the back of the trailer.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #38

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Guess that explains it. Has all good reviews, not often something has 5 stars with 69 reviews.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Buried somewhere in this 121 page thread: 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.- Mtbr.com there is a picture of a Tacoma that did a complete roll over and the gents bike was still attached to the 1 UP after the accident. It takes like one minute to mount the rack and thirty seconds to put on or take off your bike. Many trips up and down the Alcan and Cassiar and have not had one problem with this rack and no frame damage to any of my bikes. It will be the LAST rack that you will ever need to buy. Sorry, total 1 UP fanboy. Edit: Oh, and if you are into fat bikes 5" wide tires on 100mm wide rims fit just fine. Scott

I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Got to say the 1 UP has been wonderful. Quick, solid, and easy. The saved time and trouble make it worth it to us.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote