New Yeti Knockoff at Walmart $97 for 55 qt - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
New Yeti Knockoff at Walmart $97 for 55 qt

Went to Walmart to buy the 52 qt Ozark Trail. Currently on sale for $137. I was pleasantly surprised by the Lifetime branded unit price wise. Slightly larger capacity, with a slightly smaller footprint, Since I have a limited spot to store the cooler, the smaller footprint was a welcome change. $97. WOW!

I don't expect Yeti type performance at this price, but for the price, seems hard to beat!

Its only $11 more than the 26 quart Ozark Trail.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime-...0820/850043843
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Cooler

Several weeks ago I went out looking for a new cooler. I saw the Lifetime at Walmart and was tempted. It actually looks like a nice cooler. Anyway, I went next door to Menards (local big box lumber store) and to my surprise I found an ORCA cooler on sale plus 11% rebate. So I ended buying the ORCA. Haven’t used it yet. If the ORCA fails me, back to Walmart for the Lifetime.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
I can’t see Orca failing, it’s one of the best! But it’s at a different price point for sure. Retail on Orca is 3X.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #4

Orca

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
I can’t see Orca failing, it’s one of the best! But it’s at a different price point for sure. Retail on Orca is 3X.
The ORCA looks to be well built. The one thing I don’t like is how heavy it is. I seriously doubt I could move by myself if it was fully loaded. I thought the cost was very reasonable - roughly $140 (after sale price and rebate).

Time will tell. My last “high performance” cooler failed. I was buying ice daily.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv4toys View Post
The ORCA looks to be well built. The one thing I don’t like is how heavy it is. I seriously doubt I could move by myself if it was fully loaded. I thought the cost was very reasonable - roughly $140 (after sale price and rebate).

Time will tell. My last “high performance” cooler failed. I was buying ice daily.
What brand and size was the one that failed you? Was there anything wrong besides the failure to keep cool?

I keep eyeballing the Canyon coolers. I like the cam lock closure much better than the stretchy straps. My Coleman Xtreme seems to sweat a lot on the bottom (either that or it's leaking, I can't tell for sure) and gets stuff wet, so maybe next spring......
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I have a Canyon Outfitter 55, and love it. in fact, when we needed a smaller cooler, I got a Canyon 22. the big one has kept a full load of beer/water/soda frosty for several days in 100+ weather a couple times now. If you don't add warm stuff to it or steal too much ice from it, 40 lbs of ice on already chilled bottles/cans will keep things cold for a /week/.

Their customer service is excellent too, the first 22 I got had a funky hinge, the lid wouldn't stay up. they asked me to take a couple pics and send them, and then blam, a new one arrived in via fedex a couple days later with a RMA tag for the original, no hassles.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Since we're recommending coolers, I can't say enough good things about the Cabela's Polar Cap. We've retained ice in our 40qt for eleven days plus in South Texas heat. Actually better than the Yeti in tests, and less expensive at $249. It's also quite light for it's size.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...rs/2063244.uts
Old 08-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #8

Coolers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
What brand and size was the one that failed you? Was there anything wrong besides the failure to keep cool? ......
About five years ago I was looking for a high performance cooler. I ended up purchasing an Engel Marine. All of the reviews and tests rated just below the Yeti. This sounds strange, but the first few years it performed flawlessly- keep ice for 3-4 days. For some unknown reason, I have to add ice daily now to keep items cold. I got tired of running into town so I decided it was time to look for a different cooler.

I liked the Canyon also.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
Lv4toys, thanks for letting me know.

This review of the Lifetime cooler on Walmart's site caught my eye. The reviewer gave it one star:
I bought this cooler exactly 2 weeks ago. I am a communication tower worker here in Florida and I work outside in the sun every day. Having cold waters on site for my team and I is critical. I wanted to get a cooler that would hold up to the day to day rigors of work but not be as big of a target for thieves as a "fancier" cooler. I wanted something that I could fill up on a Sunday night and have cold water until Thursday or Friday. Well I went outside to rinse the cooler before work tomorrow, and as soon as I opened the lid I realized the rubber gasket had broken free. It appears the gasket is stretched around the rim of the cooler and then glued together. It looks like the glue failed and allowed the gasket to separate. In addition, the lid appears to have become warped from sitting in the heat. Once again I must reiterate that I bought this cooler 2 WEEKS AGO. In fact I think it has maybe lifted out of the back of my truck maybe once since then. It is not like this cooler has even had a chance to be abused. My buddy has the name brand version of this cooler, and I must say that the lid on the Lifetime feels much more flimsy and almost "hollow". I would be afraid to stand on the Lifetime cooler. I was hoping for a diamond in the rough with this one, but I guess I will continue my search. Save your money.

But on the positive side, CS offered to take care of it.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote