ok back to barbecues - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i went ahead and bought the Napoleon- might fit we will see. i like the two burners, temp on top, seems powerful and its red.....smaller then the big Weber and seems easy to attach to trailer propane. thank you for all the advice!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have both gas & charcoal Weber's at home. Have used the Weber Go Anywhere charcoal with the trailer for 5 years now. It fits easily in the front box along with a 10 lb. bag of charcoal and chimney to light. During our last 5 week trip due to wildfires we couldn't use the bbq for about the first two weeks.

Would consider a propane bbq, yet want it to fit in the front box and don't think the Weber Go Anywhere propane bbq is very good. So still looking.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Is $99 a season what you're willing to spend?

For $399 you can get a Napoleon at Johnstone's Barbeques. Taller lid accommodates a whole chicken or roast. It will last many years and parts will be available.
Oops, that's the electric one illustrated. LP gas is $299.
years ago Mr. Baglo convinced me to get a napoleon. I did, and every now and then think of Glenn when I use it. It is high enough to easily roast a chicken, and I really like the dual burner design. Prior to that I used a small Weber Que, which I gave away. I am very happy to have the Napoleon.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:53 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Leon - where is it stored?
Old 10-14-2020, 08:57 PM   #25

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCampBC View Post
We have been using an older Webber Q100 and are using the quick disconnect. It is a bit small, doesn't have a temperature gauge, and only seems to have one setting - really hot. We have seen a lot of people using a 2 burner Nexgrill and have been thinking of getting one. The ability to do indirect cooking is a big draw. Costco in Canada has them on clearance right now for $99.97. The grill does look kinda cheap so we are not sure its the best "upgrade", but for $99 how can we go wrong!?

Attachment 51196
I bought one of these from Costco. The quality was pretty good, especially for the price, but it is big. It would not fit in any reasonable storage space in our 19, but before you buy one for a 5.0 I would go online and look at the measurements.

I never actually used it as it was obviously too big.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:02 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Well my neighbor put this Weber out at the curb. We use it with the quick disconnect. It runs from 200 to 550. It makes toast on low and sears steaks on high. We’re very happy with it.
And the flip out tables are helpful as well
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Leon - where is it stored?
I keep it in the back of the Highlander, along with the clam shelter and the two Brompton Bikes. And Louie-the-Dog. It takes up a bit more room than the Weber Que did, but it still fits.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:34 AM   #28

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We've been dissapointed with our Weber Q since day one. It can't keep it's heat below 400 F. A friend recommended it to us and then we found out she has the same problem. We'll be purchasing a two-burner Napoleon as soon as we get home from this camping trip.

Thanks Glenn!

Perry
Old 10-15-2020, 09:53 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
I bought one of these from Costco. The quality was pretty good, especially for the price, but it is big. It would not fit in any reasonable storage space in our 19, but before you buy one for a 5.0 I would go online and look at the measurements.

I never actually used it as it was obviously too big.
I carried the equivalent under another name grill & while the dual burners & high output were great, I finally gave up on it. Too difficult to "degrease" the insides because there is no drip management like there is in the Webers, very sharp edges inside that get you while trying to wipe the insides, and the flame deflectors kept falling off when traveling. It was also a bit too large for my needs.

I replaced it with a Weber 1200 which takes a bit to heat up, but other than that, works well. I carry a one burner butane stove for pots & pans...
Old 10-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #30

Trailer: 2012 E19
This discussion brought a question to my mind. I like the flavor of meat grilled on an LP bbq, what with the smoke off the drippings. I have a single burner butane stove (small and light) and a two burner LP stove (old green one, a Coleman wannabe I think). Would a person be able to get about the same flavor with one of these stoves, by placing a flat griddle over the burner and a slightly raised cooking grate overtop that, and a lid to hold in the smoke? I’m just speculating. Seems like all the components could be separated and washed rather easily and would store more easily too, plus they would serve other uses (stove for all types of pots and pans, flat griddle for eggs and pancakes, etc.). And one less LP appliance to fuss with. Maybe the tough part would be finding matched-size griddle, grate and lid... but would it produce that same sort of bbq-grill flavor?
Old 10-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The chef who was the subject of a video I shot cooked the steak in a cast iron fry pan, constantly basting it with the butter/fat from the bottom. I prefer cooking my burgers ( using regular ground beef - not lean ) in a fry pan instead of having all the fat drop through the grill. Only problem is the smoke.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
Quote:
Is $99 a season what you're willing to spend?

For $399 you can get a Napoleon at Johnstone's Barbeques. Taller lid accommodates a whole chicken or roast. It will last many years and parts will be available.
It was going to be an impulse purchase as we haven't done any research on portable BBQs and $99 is pretty cheap. Now that you have us looking at the Napoleon for $299, I think we are going to pass on the Nexgrill and look for a better solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The older Q100 is also what I have. I purchased a grill thermometer at Lowe’s...

...I see a big swing in the appearance of the flame and the temperature. I can get a very definite range of temperatures.
We've found ours has a very small range of adjustment in the middle between high and low, and typically end up on the high which is quite hot. It's probably the lack of gauge that has us not understanding the adjustments and setting it at the wrong temperature...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
years ago Mr. Baglo convinced me to get a napoleon. I did, and every now and then think of Glenn when I use it.
He might have convinced us as well, although we will try not to think about Glenn when BBQing.
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:34 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We've been dissapointed with our Weber Q since day one. It can't keep it's heat below 400 F. A friend recommended it to us and then we found out she has the same problem. We'll be purchasing a two-burner Napoleon as soon as we get home from this camping trip.

Thanks Glenn!

Perry
If the Q is too hot, either cook with the lid open or get a 1/2” x 6” bolt and place it across bottom part of the grill, slightly propping the top open. I have been using my Q100 fr a long time. Admittedly, I had some of the same “complaints” early on but found they were all addressable. I grill, use the half griddle for bacon and pancakes, and have baked cornbread, brownies, and cookies in the Q. Like any grill, it has its quirks and a learning curve; just takes a bit of experimentation.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:46 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Hey Jim still love the Blackstone grill and got the lid for it now . The Weber just sits . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
67DA7EF8-6C6F-433E-9AEC-5E845EE6BF92.jpg   E2FF56F7-6789-45D9-8DD1-E82EEA21F641.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:48 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
The chef who was the subject of a video I shot cooked the steak in a cast iron fry pan, constantly basting it with the butter/fat from the bottom. I prefer cooking my burgers ( using regular ground beef - not lean ) in a fry pan instead of having all the fat drop through the grill. Only problem is the smoke.
Glenn I must of watched the same video because that is how a I now cook my steaks , first in the cast iron pan now do the same on the Blackstone grill . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:53 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
There is a restaurant in Memphis (Dyer’s Burgers) that deep-fries its burgers. Very popular, as long lines are known to extend outside at times. They use ground beef with a fat content that insures the volume in the cooking vat remains the same. What is added by “new” beef equals what may come out on cooked burgers. Now for the punch line: Dyer’s has been using the same fat since (I believe) 1903. The restaurant has moved its physical location a couple of times. When the fat was moved, it was under police guard. Who knew cooking fat was so valuable?
Old 10-16-2020, 05:33 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hey Jim still love the Blackstone grill and got the lid for it now . The Weber just sits . Pat
That is a nice touch to the Blackstone, may have to get one myself.....how does it impact grilling/cooking, shorten the time?
Old 10-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #38

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Terry uses our Weber Q as an oven but can't keep the heat low enough (350F). We have a friend that lives and dies by his Blackstone. It would be nice if it could do both, since we don't want to carry both the Weber Q and a Blackstone.

Do you think we can keep the heat at 350 F or lower
with the lid down?

What is the height from the grill surface to the lid?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 10-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
According to their website, the 17" griddle is 18"x18" and 8.5" high
Old 10-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #40

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
FYI Blackstone 17' Griddle

Here's a heads up about the Blackstone 17" griddle with the stainless steel front and grease cup in the front - like the one in Patandlinda's photos above. Blackstone has discontinued this model and they're getting hard to find. The new ones have a painted front and the grease cup hangs off the back. If you want to get the older model, check out Dick's Sporting Goods

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...17ntbltpgrdcfp

The metal cover as shown in Patandlinda's photos is an extra-cost option. We didn't get it because it mounts permanently to a bracket in the back of the stove and makes the griddle much taller. We got the 2-piece carrying bag and cover instead. With the griddle turned upside down for storage and put in the carrying bag, it fits easily in our 5.0 front storage area with lots of room above it.

The Blackstone comes with a screw-on regulator for use with a little Coleman 1-pound propane bottle, but there are several options on eBay and Amazon for quick-connect hoses that work perfectly with your trailer's built-in propane port.

I know some folks just gotta have that burnt grease smokey flavor to their steaks and burgers so I'm not going to change their mind. But for most cooking, the griddle works great!
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote