ok back to barbecues - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2020, 04:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
ok back to barbecues

I'm looking for a new barbecue . I would love one i can connect to my quick connect and would fit in the front storage area of my 5.0 . i want it to get very hot for steaks and have a temperature gauge. Any suggestions? my Weber just isn't getting hot enough and has some other age related issues plus Weber says their grills are not suitable to use with an RV quick connection.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
My Weber Q works just fine on the QD once you remove the regulator. And if you put it on high and let it heat up for 10 minutes it will sear a steak. And by pulling the pins that attach the lid the bottom can be put into the storage compartment and then the top will go in and can be put on and the pins reattached if you put the front in with the back of the grill facing out.
Have you cleaned the burner? Use a paper clip and punch all the holes.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
My Q works fine too, but it does require a good warmup period. The bigger ones come with a temp gauge but I can't imagine they'll fit in the storage compartment, mine goes in the bed of the truck.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 E19
Dickinson Marine has great BBQS. I had one on a deck rail that got away when I sold the boat. I wish I had it back.
kdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdelaney View Post
Dickinson Marine has great BBQS. I had one on a deck rail that got away when I sold the boat. I wish I had it back.

I gave mine away. Couldn't control the heat, even after they sent me a new regulator. Bought my two-burner Napoleon P285 and it's the best of the lot that I've owned.

Had a Weber, Broil King, Dickinson and now Napoleon.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:14 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I like the Napoleon but don't think it'll fit through the front storage hatch at 18.5".
Old 10-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I have been using my Dickinson Spitfire for about 10 years now. Built solid and performs great. I did have to raise the legs about 1/2" (whatever was the max I could go) and now it stores nicely in the 5.0TA front storage box, before it would not quite fit in.

Right now it has again started to really show the effects of lots of use on the surface, but a bit of stainless steel polishing and it will look like new.

I have adapted a couple Napoleon dual burner units to LP QC. They are a nice unit and I like the dual burners. The only issue for me is that it is way too big, and I have to wonder if it would fit in the front storage. I should check with one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Have BBQ will travel!!!

Quote:
Hi: kdelaney... Here's a pic of our Dickinson Spitfire 180 in the storage hold of our 5.0TA. I had to cut 2 slots in the edge of the door surround for the legs to slide thru. Took a few min. w/ a hacksaw after Reace at ETI showed me how. It has a hi-low flame control rather than a regulator. My new Napolean 500 at home has a "Sizzle zone" that heats to 1800*F for steaks... but I'd need a second trailer just for the BBQ!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030921.jpg   20200527_141407.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have been using my Dickinson Spitfire for about 10 years now. Built solid and performs great. I did have to raise the legs about 1/2" (whatever was the max I could go) and now it stores nicely in the 5.0TA front storage box, before it would not quite fit in.

Right now it has again started to really show the effects of lots of use on the surface, but a bit of stainless steel polishing and it will look like new.

I have adapted a couple Napoleon dual burner units to LP QC. They are a nice unit and I like the dual burners. The only issue for me is that it is way too big, and I have to wonder if it would fit in the front storage. I should check with one.
I think that I must have got a lemon when I purchased my Dickinson grill. It has never produced much heat, even when I changed out the orifice and temperature control vale with replacements supplied by Dickinson. Also, the lid tends to get jammed in the open position and will sometimes require a bit of jostling to get it to close. I would likely go with something else the next time I purchased.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I think that I must have got a lemon when I purchased my Dickinson grill. It has never produced much heat, even when I changed out the orifice and temperature control vale with replacements supplied by Dickinson. Also, the lid tends to get jammed in the open position and will sometimes require a bit of jostling to get it to close. I would likely go with something else the next time I purchased.
I haven't been impressed with the heat output of ours either Dave. And I changed the orifice and control valve with one from Dickinson too. It does only a mediocre job of searing. Haven't had any issues with the lid, but I would probably go with something else as well.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:11 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
I've owned a Magma marine SS kettle grill for a decade + and has served me well for any grate grilling type cooking I've needed; even pizza. I have rigged it to set atop my camera tripod for versatility and easy leveling. No problem getting high enough heat.

I use it now and again but mainly have shifted to using either a carbon steel griddle or pan (cast iron works great too) atop either our Partner Steel camp stove or a simple and quick to deploy singe burner butane stove...best tasting method to sear whatever needs searing. More versatile combo and less to pack, haul set-up/take-down, clean, etc.
dstreight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:05 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
My Weber Q2000 has seven years of use and had become a bit lame in generating heat. A couple of years ago I tried cleaning the burners with a paper clip. Limited success. Last year the flame was missing from a small section of the burner. What appeared to be the end.

I found a dealer that sold replacement burners. Under $30 out of Florida. I added a thermometer that the 2000 did not have and we had a very successful summer of grilling. We use the 2000 versus the 1000 series as there are three of us and the larger grilling surface is necessary.

With that said, it is a PITA to transport. In our case, it only fits on the floor of the camper (OK for short trips, not so if stopping in-route) or in the tow vehicle. If inside a vehicle it needs to be reasonably clean and packaged carefully or the rattling and odor will annoy you.

As an alternative we have carried an electric griddle if we know shore power is available. Not quite the same flavor but much easier to transport.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
We have been using an older Webber Q100 and are using the quick disconnect. It is a bit small, doesn't have a temperature gauge, and only seems to have one setting - really hot. We have seen a lot of people using a 2 burner Nexgrill and have been thinking of getting one. The ability to do indirect cooking is a big draw. Costco in Canada has them on clearance right now for $99.97. The grill does look kinda cheap so we are not sure its the best "upgrade", but for $99 how can we go wrong!?

Click image for larger version

Name:	NexGrill.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	51196
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCampBC View Post
but for $99 how can we go wrong!?

Is $99 a season what you're willing to spend?

For $399 you can get a Napoleon at Johnstone's Barbeques. Taller lid accommodates a whole chicken or roast. It will last many years and parts will be available.
Oops, that's the electric one illustrated. LP gas is $299.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 12.35.00 PM.png   Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 12.39.22 PM.png  
Old 10-14-2020, 02:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Strange, as I am now having to keep the heart on low a lot, and never a problem with the lid.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I like the Napoleon but don't think it'll fit through the front storage hatch at 18.5".
yes they do, made a low shelf for it to sit on.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: kdelaney... Here's a pic of our Dickinson Spitfire 180 in the storage hold of our 5.0TA. I had to cut 2 slots in the edge of the door surround for the legs to slide thru. Took a few min. w/ a hacksaw after Reace at ETI showed me how. It has a hi-low flame control rather than a regulator. My new Napolean 500 at home has a "Sizzle zone" that heats to 1800*F for steaks... but I'd need a second trailer just for the BBQ!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Remember Alf they changed the hinge on the door to that storage above propane tanks between 2014 and 2016 and we tried to get my Spitfire to go in. I'm thinking of doing what Jim did and gain space that way. Or I may just leave it in the front of bed to travel and I found this year I can haul it our even if the trailer is still hooked up. And with our new retractable tonneau cover the Spitfire is under cover.

Our Spitfire like Jim says gets very hot and usually bbq on low.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Well my neighbor put this Weber out at the curb. We use it with the quick disconnect. It runs from 200 to 550. It makes toast on low and sears steaks on high. We’re very happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
FC5774B1-758A-469D-B485-EA2FFB09A934a.jpeg  
Old 10-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We really enjoy our Megamaster grill. It's all stainless steel, and has held up well in our gulf coast environment. I use a separate temp probe...Matt
Steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
My Weber Q2000 has seven years of use and had become a bit lame in generating heat. A couple of years ago I tried cleaning the burners with a paper clip. Limited success. Last year the flame was missing from a small section of the burner. What appeared to be the end.
I did the same thing, but I had to push rather hard on the paper clip until it bottomed out inside the burner, and then I sort of wiggled it around and up and down as if using a file. There are lots of holes so it took me about 1/2 hour to clean every hole. When I was finished, I reinstalled the burner. I usually let the gas run 5 or 6 seconds before using the igniter, and when I did the entire burner lit up just as it did when it was new. No problem since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCampBC View Post
We have been using an older Webber Q100 and are using the quick disconnect. It is a bit small, doesn't have a temperature gauge, and only seems to have one setting - really hot. We have seen a lot of people using a 2 burner Nexgrill and have been thinking of getting one. The ability to do indirect cooking is a big draw. Costco in Canada has them on clearance right now for $99.97. The grill does look kinda cheap so we are not sure its the best "upgrade", but for $99 how can we go wrong!?

Attachment 51196
The older Q100 is also what I have. I purchased a grill thermometer at Lowe’s, and after a lot of examination, determined where to drill a hole in the lid so that the thermometer’s probe would not contact the lid, and the retaining nut would not be blocked from turning. I drilled a pilot hole first, then drilled the proper size for the thermometer. But I have not found it have only one setting. When I turn the control knob all the way to low (counter clockwise), I see a big swing in the appearance of the flame and the temperature. I can get a very definite range of temperatures.