Portable air compressor / tire inflator - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
so I can't imagine ever needing to air up a completely flat tire.
I didn't imagine that I'd do that either until I got a rock cut in Alaska on a twisty road with no shoulder. No room to pull over off the road and with blind corners nearby it would have been dangerous to try and get the spare on.

The leak was manageable. I used my 12 volt compressor to get enough air in it to move. Then I pulled over a couple of more times, added air until I got to a place where I could put on the spare safely.

Lot's of discussion on this topic with the Baja crowd where de-airing for rough roads is a way of life. Lot's of choices for compressors and, as usual, lot's of opinions.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Donna, why not a small 120v compressor, you can fill the tank before leaving and you can always find a plug at most places...https://www.amazon.com/PowRyte-Oil-F...air+compressor
I'm going to need a sag wagon! I was hoping to find something that would either fit under the stairs in the trailer or in the outside hatch... by the door (would be best) or under the loft (but that's pretty full already). Hummmmm.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #43
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Viair 77P

Best portable compress I have ever owned Rock solid!, 16 foot cord (can do all four tires), 15 amp,twist on hose, pumps to 80 psi. On truck plugs strait into aux 15 amp 12v plug (truck running). On trailer plugs into optional 12v exterior plug. Small, Quite and powerful and comes in a very nice canvas bag.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CDW2MCM..._t5_B01N224N1U
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #44

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
For those with a Viair but struggle reaching from the TV battery to the trailer tires, Viair makes a 30' extension hose for their bigger units.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIAIR-30-...&wl13=&veh=sem
Attached Thumbnails
Viair.jpeg  
Old 08-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I have 1 similar to this, got at Harbor Freight. Used it for tires and to blowout plumbing for winterizing when on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
BFA2C7C0-5752-4BC7-99DD-DFAF5B6625E4.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have two cheapo 12V air compressors. I'd replace with the Viair, but I want to be able to plug it into a 12V outlet, front or rear of the RAV, or from inside the trailer with an extension cord.

I don't want to have to position the vehicle so that I can clip to battery terminals. Sometimes that isn't possible.
I have a Viair 300P that I use for reinflation after deflating my tires for longer trips on dirt roads. It’s a great pump but bulky. I got a smaller Viair 070P that I normally pack when we travel. It has a 12v plug instead of battery clips and so far has worked fine for topping up tires.

https://www.amazon.ca/Viair-00073-70...ir+compressors
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:47 PM   #47

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Living in Canada, I can only buy the Viair 77P at INFLATED prices.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:22 PM   #48

Trailer: 2012 E19
The 70P or 77P won't inflate quite as fast as the 88P, but they should still be excellent pumps. And they would be fine for Donna, since it's normal for guys to be a little too fast, with the gals lagging....
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:41 PM   #49

Trailer: none
Had to double-check my model number. It's the Viair 85P. Can someone tell me what the normal inflation pressure of the 5.0TA tires are? They are 15 inch, correct?

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/85p
Old 08-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Had to double-check my model number. It's the Viair 85P. Can someone tell me what the normal inflation pressure of the 5.0TA tires are? They are 15 inch, correct?

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/85p
The amount is shown on the tire and each tire is different, depending on year.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Can someone tell me what the normal inflation pressure of the 5.0TA tires are? They are 15 inch, correct?
All current (and recent) Escape models use the same size and type of tire: ST205/75R15. "15 inch" is just the wheel size - there are various tire sizes that fit a 15-inch wheel.

The pressure recommended by Escape is 50 PSI.

The pressures marked on the sidewall of the tire are the maximum inflation pressure, and the pressure required to reach the maximum load capacity, and those are normally (and are in the case of tires used by Escape) the same number. For Load Range C trailer tires of this size that's 50 PSI; some Escapes may be equipped with Load Range D tires, for which this pressure is 65 PSI.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #52

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
All current (and recent) Escape models use the same size and type of tire: ST205/75R15. "15 inch" is just the wheel size - there are various tire sizes that fit a 15-inch wheel.

The pressures marked on the sidewall of the tire are the maximum inflation pressure, and the pressure required to reach the maximum load capacity, and those are normally (and are in the case of tires used by Escape) the same number. For Load Range C trailer tires of this size that's 50 PSI; some Escapes may be equipped with Load Range D tires, for which this pressure is 65 PSI.

Thank you, Brian!
Old 08-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Dang, I wish I could see it.

This one? And is it going to recharge while I'm traveling? Like if I'm hooked up and will use the inside trailer plugs. Yes, I know I'll need the 'recharging battery thingy,' but shouldn't I be buying something 12 volt? I'm so confused...

This is the one I have. It seems to work okay, at least for inflating partially deflated tires. The Ryobi charger that I have plugs into 12V and charges the 18V battery. Since I usually have two or three Ryobi products with me when I travel (e.g. fan, hand vacuum, tire inflator, drill, etc.) I have more than one 18V battery with me as well. So I could swap out batteries if needed when inflating a flat tire.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Lot's of discussion on this topic with the Baja crowd where de-airing for rough roads is a way of life. Lot's of choices for compressors and, as usual, lot's of opinions.

Ron

That reminds me that race driver Parnelli Jones described driving the offroad Baja 1000 race as like being in a plane crash that lasts all day.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

to further clarify this, even if you have a load range D or E tire, with 65 or 80 PSI *maximum* air pressure, when they are supporting a vehicle that specifies class C tires, stick with the vehicle recommended pressure, NOT the tires maximum.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote