Portable Washing Machine - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2021, 01:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Portable Washing Machine

Anyone use one of these? How do you like it?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTXG5SG...ing=UTF8&psc=1
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We bought one years ago (still have it) and it worked fine -- but it's very bulky to carry. Easier to find a laundromat, however, or use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/EasyGoProduct...58139988&psc=1

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #3

Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #4
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We bought one years ago (still have it) and it worked fine -- but it's very bulky to carry. Easier to find a laundromat, however, or use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/EasyGoProduct...58139988&psc=1
Thanks for this tip, Jan! This will be a nice addition to our camping stockpile for those longer journeys on the road. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
If you are towing with something like a Suburban, you will probably have space to carry and store it. However, the portable washers cannot wash the amount of clothing (per load) that a commercial machine can handle and, from what I have been told by people who have them, do not do quite as good a job as a “real” washing machine. And you have to rely on a clothesline for drying. I do not travel much in the desert southwest where precipitation is rare, but often when we have used clotheslines, things are almost dry and then it rains. So I would concur with the above advice, for periodic washing it is easier, and very likely much less of a hassle as well as speedier to just find a laundromat. Either that, or exchange the Escape for one of those stick built behemoths which have all the bells and whistles.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:34 PM   #6

I was just exploring options for light washing in-between laundromat days. We are hoping to do mostly dry camping in 2-week stretches. We pick up our escape 21NE in September. Don't want a stick built behemoth!
Old 07-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
I always wanted one of those on some of the boats I have owned. They seem to get good reviews but your real world experience counts for more.. I realize it would be a small load type of tool.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, you get to wash the washing machine.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
I was just exploring options for light washing in-between laundromat days. We are hoping to do mostly dry camping in 2-week stretches. We pick up our escape 21NE in September. Don't want a stick built behemoth!
I suspected you were exploring emergency/in-between applications. That is why I said periodic washing. If the portable was going to be your go-to method, it would be less than ideal. So if you have the space, go for it. I carried a small ice maker on a couple of trips and found it was always in the way. Essentially brand new, it sits at home unused. If I bought a portable washer, it would probably have the same fate.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:00 PM   #10

We'll probably just store more clothes instead of a portable washer.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
We found that many state campgrounds have coin op washer and driers available. In between I would just wash a few items in the sink by hand ....mostly would be underwear and socks anyway.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for your responses. :-)
Old 07-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #13

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We had one of those while building our off grid house in a remote location. You can wash 1 sheet or pair of jeans at a time. Drying takes a long time as clothes come out fairly wet. The handle broke off after about a month of use. It does get clothes clean but far better to store dirty laundry than rely on this.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:14 AM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
I'm with you. This wouldn't be a replacement for a real washer or dryer at campground or other. Just a supplement. Underwear, Tshirts and bathing suits type stuff
Old 07-07-2021, 11:14 AM   #15
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
We found that many state campgrounds have coin op washer and driers available. In between I would just wash a few items in the sink by hand ....mostly would be underwear and socks anyway.
Wow, so east coast 'state' campgrounds have washers and dryers? I'v never seen a 'state' campground on the west coast with washers and dryers, only private RV places. If so, that's good to know.

My husband and I used to be 'Team Parents' for our son's High Performance Men's Volleyball competitions all over the country for many years. One of our duties was to take their uniforms and go to a laundromat every couple of days for them. That experience taught us to be very discerning of laundromats - location and clientele.

So now, we generally try to avoid laundromats and look for RV places every so often on long trips that list washers/dryers as one of their amenities. But we've also seen places that list them and then find a sign that says 'Out of order' or 'closed' (due to pandemic), or whatever, so having a little 'portable something' to help us get by until the next place will be nice. I also hope it will help me not to pack so many clothes! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #16

Yes, Ian and Sue, underwear, socks and bathing suits. But, I suppose those could be washed by hand in a bucket.

Bea, I recall going to laundromats when they weren't so bad. But, now I would be very cautious. Like you said, look for them at RV parks. I suppose we could stay one night in a park occasionally to take advantage of the laundry facilities and hookups, just to see how the other half lives! LOL

We are hoping to visit some COE campgrounds, so they may have laundry facilities as well.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Wow, so east coast 'state' campgrounds have washers and dryers? I'v never seen a 'state' campground on the west coast with washers and dryers, only private RV places. If so, that's good to know.

My husband and I used to be 'Team Parents' for our son's High Performance Men's Volleyball competitions all over the country for many years. One of our duties was to take their uniforms and go to a laundromat every couple of days for them. That experience taught us to be very discerning of laundromats - location and clientele.

So now, we generally try to avoid laundromats and look for RV places every so often on long trips that list washers/dryers as one of their amenities. But we've also seen places that list them and then find a sign that says 'Out of order' or 'closed' (due to pandemic), or whatever, so having a little 'portable something' to help us get by until the next place will be nice. I also hope it will help me not to pack so many clothes! -Bea

Yes down south...FL, GA, and Gulf Coast many of the state campgrounds had at least one washer drier set up in a bathroom building....this was a few years ago...
Old 07-07-2021, 12:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Yes, Ian and Sue, underwear, socks and bathing suits. But, I suppose those could be washed by hand in a bucket.

Bea, I recall going to laundromats when they weren't so bad. But, now I would be very cautious. Like you said, look for them at RV parks. I suppose we could stay one night in a park occasionally to take advantage of the laundry facilities and hookups, just to see how the other half lives! LOL

We are hoping to visit some COE campgrounds, so they may have laundry facilities as well.
Use your outside shower to get yourself clean and wear your bathing suit (no need for a privacy curtain). Clean bathing suit and you a two fer!
Old 07-07-2021, 12:48 PM   #19

Yes to the outside shower. We got one on DS and PS!
Old 07-07-2021, 12:57 PM   #20
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
...and you a two fer!
A regional Canadianism "two fer; two-four; twenty-four" meaning a 24 case of beer.
Not to be confused with a "case" meaning a 12 case of beer.

Sorry, I felt it just needed to be said, eh.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote