Propane tank monitor? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2021, 02:22 PM   #21
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I doubt you'll find anyone who completely fills exchange tanks, although the amount of propane will vary between suppliers and some might not even be filled to the claimed amount. The amount should be clearly marked on the label.

Blue Rhino is a major exchange brand in the U.S. They never filled their tanks (with the 20 pound capacity), and reduced the amount of propane from 17 pounds to 15 pounds in 2008. In Canada, PetroCanada only puts 16 pounds in them (which legally should be marked as about 7.2 kg). I've seen some marked as containing 7 kg (it would be 9 kg if filled). I've never seen one, but there are apparently pro2go vending machines (kiosks) in Canada - they claim 7.8 kg (17.2 lb).
Nice follow up, as always, Brian! I should've clarified that when companies like Blue Rhino advertise 15 Lbs of propane!...that is fine, but just trying to point out that those 20 LP tanks are capable of holding more (like 17/18 pounds) and for those of us who like to camp off grid, those 2/3 extra pounds of propane/tank you can get from refilling your own tank is worth it to us. Thanks for the info on the Canadian exchange brands - much better than ours! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:55 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Not all Tractor Supply locations carry propane. I stopped at one in Martinsburg, WV a few years ago that did not carry it.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:11 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 21
Lots of the big interstate truck stops will refill propane tanks.
And you can watch and encourage them to top it off too!
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:02 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
... just trying to point out that those 20 LP tanks are capable of holding more (like 17/18 pounds)...
They're actually capable of holding 20 pounds (that's why they're called that) and are routinely filled to 20 pounds by almost any bulk dispensing station. It looks like all of the exchangers are short-changers, although at least they may be honest about it on the label.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
They're actually capable of holding 20 pounds (that's why they're called that) and are routinely filled to 20 pounds by almost any bulk dispensing station.
Which is why using a luggage scale is efficient. Tare weight of the cylinder ( probably 17.7 lbs or so ) and 20 lbs of propane is 37.7 lbs.

Any less and you are being ripped off.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:07 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Some uhaul locations fill tanks
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:37 AM   #27

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Not all Tractor Supply locations carry propane. I stopped at one in Martinsburg, WV a few years ago that did not carry it.
Have yet to find a Tractor Supply that doesn't, but there's always an outlier.

I've had more problems Googling LP supplier only to arrive at their business and the person running the place is not there, or they don't fill small tanks.

There's a KOA southeast of Rochester that filled both our 20# tanks for only $35. Needless to say I've never returned. Since I don't rely on my ability to constantly check to see if the automatic changeover has happened we always only have one tank running. At about 3 am it gets cold in the camper and I have to go outside to turn on the other tank and restart the furnace. It may sound like a PITA, but it beats having both LP tanks empty and then freezing until you find an LP dealer in the middle of nowhere. BTDT!

BTW, when we do run out of gas at 3 am, Terry will bug me relentlessly until the empty tank is filled. Works for us.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-24-2021, 08:09 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And, you can use it to weigh your luggage. Try that with other gauges.
Or if you catch a big fish you can borrow the laundry basket and weigh the fish on your scale and not get the scale slimy.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-24-2021, 09:28 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and still use your laundry basket for your dirty clothes........
Old 07-24-2021, 02:54 PM   #30

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Smile Propane

If you go to the website for tractor supply they will give you a list of nearby locations and whether or not they carry propane. Same thing goes for U-Haul. A number of the locations of the major truck stops i.e. Pilot, T&A etc. also list on the website whether not they have propane. Plus there's a great number of propane suppliers throughout all the states. They will gladly fill your bottles. You just have to go to the web and look. There's one local one in Orange County California that not only fills them but has a dump station for you, and RV supplies. Just go looking and you shall find.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:23 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape 21NE
I fill mine at U-Haul. You can find out if a specific U-Haul store does propane fills on their website.

For monitoring the tanks, I use this -- it's not hugely accurate, but good enough:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Johnspierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:50 AM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnspierce View Post
For monitoring the tanks, I use this -- it's not hugely accurate, but good enough:

My buddy bought a couple of those gauges, which we used for BBQ tanks. We both felt that they restricted the flow of gas to the BBQ and we both tossed them.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:58 AM   #33

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Pouring boiling water for 5 seconds is a good idea Doug! About how much water do you use of this? A half gallon or so? Just pour it over the top so that it runs down in one area? Thanks!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:48 AM   #34

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnspierce View Post

They're not accurate at all, because they don't indicate level at all. They're pressure gauges, so when the propane is not flowing (and the tank valve is open) they only respond to the temperature of the propane, not the amount in the tank. While propane is flowing the conversion of liquid to vapour in the tank chills the tank and its contents, lowering the temperature and thus the pressure. If this pressure gauge shows very low, the tank is likely near empty... but stop using the propane, wait a while, and that gauge will go right back up to the same reading that it would have with a full tank.

When you're using propane and it stops working, this sort of gauge can confirm that you no longer have enough pressure... in case it wasn't already obvious.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:27 AM   #35

Trailer: 5.0TA 2020
Look at Kevlar tanks such as from Viking. They meet DOT requirements and you can see the liquid level through the side of the tank.
Sikuliaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:54 AM   #36

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Arrow look carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikuliaq View Post
Look at Kevlar tanks such as from Viking. They meet DOT requirements and you can see the liquid level through the side of the tank.
Folks just need to be attentive to the details when doing that looking.

The Viking Composite tank designed as a 'replacement' for a 'RV-standard' 20LB steel cylinder (closest outside physical dimensions) has 16% less actual propane capacity in pounds, the initial tank requalification requirement is 5 vs 10 years, is a bit over and inch taller, and the footring diameter is ~3 inches larger (you may need a new hold-down rod and/or tank baseplate to accommodate the Viking).

Any of that may or may not be significant to a consumer (YMMV).

Just FYI here's a table I compiled from manufacturer specs when I looked at different tank options a while back.

Back to topic ....
Attached Thumbnails
LPG TANK COMPARE.jpg  
Old 07-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #37

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Alan, nice info. I’ve wondered, but never checked because I just keep using the steel ones.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Folks just need to be attentive to the details when doing that looking.

The Viking Composite tank designed as a 'replacement' for a 'RV-standard' 20LB steel cylinder (closest outside physical dimensions) has 16% less actual propane capacity in pounds, the initial tank requalification is 5 vs 10 years, and the footring diameter is different which may require a different tank-holder baseplate depending on what you have.

Any of that may or may not be significant to a consumer (YMMV).
I just started using a Viking Composite tank - 1 overnight to date.
The odd dimensions are not really a factor since it lives in a milk crate. The 5 year re-qualification may, or may not be an issue since there is a inspection station 15 minutes from my house. The ability to see the propane level (with a strong flashlight in a dark place) does seem useful. And finally, the slightly smaller capacity and lighter tank add up to less weight for my aging body parts to lift out of the truck - a big advantage in my case.

It wasn't that much more expensive than the 11 pound "pony" tank I was using for 20 years (re-qualified twice). About 50% more expensive in very round numbers.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #39

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
.... And finally, the slightly smaller capacity and lighter tank add up to less weight for my aging body parts to lift out of the truck - a big advantage in my case.
I certainly 'hear you' there, Alan!

I sure didn't mean to discount the pros vs the cons of the Viking Composite in my post (I think / hope most readers understood that). Though for me at this point in time the balance tips in favor of standard steel, I can well imagine that might change in my aging future so it's good to read of your satisfaction with the Viking, thanks for sharing!
Old 07-29-2021, 10:27 AM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I seriously considered the Viking tanks. All because they're lighter when full. In fact, I was saving money to take advantage of the once-a-year sale.... usually between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I'm a geezer and lifting the metal full tanks over the lip in the propane storage bay in Ten Forward is a PITA for me. I smashed the lip the first time I did it. Now it requires both hands and a knee. Kinda like bucking hay. For now, I've decide against the purchase. But next week... next month... next year? Who knows.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote