Replacement DVD/CD player recomendations please - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Replacement DVD/CD player recomendations please

Hi,

We own a 2013 19' and got the stock DVD/CD/Stereo that was available at the time. Now it's time to upgrade. What I want is a Blu-Ray player, but they don't seem to make them for in-dash car replacement.

So, I'm wondering what DVD/stereo units you all have put in your trailers, what you like about the units, would you buy it again and anything else you like to share.

Thanks,
Kelly
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
Hi,

We own a 2013 19' and got the stock DVD/CD/Stereo that was available at the time. Now it's time to upgrade. What I want is a Blu-Ray player, but they don't seem to make them for in-dash car replacement.

So, I'm wondering what DVD/stereo units you all have put in your trailers, what you like about the units, would you buy it again and anything else you like to share.

Thanks,
Kelly
We're prewired for stereo but so far we haven't bothered with installing one. The little bluetooth Bose speaker and a phone works well for us. As for what kind, any car stereo will work, but the same rules apply as when installing it in a car - the wiring harness pin outs need to match, and the speakers should be matched to the power output of the stereo. I'd make sure it has bluetooth however so you can pair and stream from another source.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I have Kenwood speakers and a Pioneer CD/DVD unit in my trailer (see text in picture for model numbers) and have no complaints whatsoever. I can't address the bluetooth functions as I don't have anything with bluetooth technology.
Attached Thumbnails
Egbert-007.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I have Kenwood speakers and a Pioneer CD/DVD unit in my trailer (see text in picture for model numbers) and have no complaints whatsoever. I can't address the bluetooth functions as I don't have anything with bluetooth technology.
That Pioneer is a nice head unit Karen. The BT means it's Bluetooth capable too. If you want to stream audio from your phone for example, just pair it.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That Pioneer is a nice head unit Karen. The BT means it's Bluetooth capable too. If you want to stream audio from your phone for example, just pair it.
What phone? I just have an old-fashioned flip Tracfone; it's all I need.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 08-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
What phone? I just have an old-fashioned flip Tracfone; it's all I need.
I hear ya. Sometimes I think "smartphones" are the bane of society.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If it's gotten overlooked the OP is looking for Blu-Ray, not Bluetooth.

FWIW. As I take along the laptop, I bough a small external blu-ray player. The laptop can output HDMI which the TV has an input for. The plan was to rent Redbox flicks and watch them via the laptop. So far we haven't gotten around to watching TV, or movies.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
What I want is a Blu-Ray player, but they don't seem to make them for in-dash car replacement.
Blu-ray is effectively the replacement for DVD, but by the time Blu-ray became mainstream, the era of carrying discs in the car was over. I think the current expectation is that your "media" (music, movies, whatever) will be on some mobile device, connected by some wireless method (such as WiFi or Bluetooth) to the equipment which plays it (amplifier and speakers, or video display). If you put your movies on your computer, tablet, or smartphone, you can display them on a TV using a device such as a Chromecast or Apple TV.

I would not expect to find mobile Blu-ray players commonly or cheaply available (although they may be and I just haven't noticed them), but since you are not going to use it while actually moving, you don't need a mobile or automotive device. Like Bob, you can just use a basic home Blu-ray player (which is a bit bulky, but light) or play the Blu-ray discs in a laptop. We use an under-$100 home player in our motorhome.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think the current expectation is that your "media" (music, movies, whatever) will be on some mobile device...
I know most people like to have the latest and greatest technology. I'm not one of them. My truck is so old that it plays cassette tapes. Every once in a while, tapes get eaten or just fade away. I replace them in my truck from my stockpile at home. When I run out of tapes, I'll get a new truck.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 08-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I know most people like to have the latest and greatest technology. I'm not one of them. My truck is so old that it plays cassette tapes. Every once in a while, tapes get eaten or just fade away. I replace them in my truck from my stockpile at home. When I run out of tapes, I'll get a new truck.
I understand this, and I think it's reasonable. New vehicles - and aftermarket equipment for them - are not driven by reason, they're driven by fashion. They have features that lead people to say "my old car doesn't have that so I need to upgrade" or "the other brand doesn't have that so I'll get this one", and no one is looking for than a couple years down the road. Since that's how it works, when you do get a new truck, it will have new technology; you can use it, or ignore it... whatever works for you.

In my car I happily moved from CDs, to a music play (such as an iPod) connected to an audio, to streaming music from my phone to the car over Bluetooth... but I certainly would not replace a vehicle to get a new one with the next generation of audio player technology.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #11
Site Team

It's not so much that we have to have the latest technology, but that formats change. Just as the Victrola was replaced by the turntable, then later tape, then CD, etc, tech doesn't stay static. Having said that, I think most digital music sounds terrible to my ear. Give me vinyl any day. Sometimes an "advancement" is ill named.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
It's not so much that we have to have the latest technology, but that formats change. Just as the Victrola was replaced by the turntable, then later tape, then CD, etc, tech doesn't stay static. Having said that, I think most digital music sounds terrible to my ear. Give me vinyl any day.
Vinyl is OK if you don't mind the snap, crackle, and popif it is dirty or as it wears. Tube amplifiers are also better than solud state!
Old 08-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Vinyl is OK if you don't mind the snap, crackle, and popif it is dirty or as it wears. Tube amplifiers are also better than solid state!
Amen Carl. My McIntosh Amp still sounds sweeter than any of the newer ones.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
It's not so much that we have to have the latest technology, but that formats change. Just as the Victrola was replaced by the turntable, then later tape, then CD, etc, tech doesn't stay static. Having said that, I think most digital music sounds terrible to my ear. Give me vinyl any day. Sometimes an "advancement" is ill named.
The turntable has been replaced? No wonder we don't have anything in the Escape.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:58 AM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I use the old fashioned method DVDs for movies in the trailer I have a lot of DVDs that have both blue ray and reg I put all the reg ones in the trailer. I like to watch a movie before bed when I'm camping often old movies
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote