Rotochok - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape "Bess" 19' Sept. 2013
Rotochok

Looking at these for our soon to be 19. What do the Escapee's think of these? One or a pair best? What size for a current 19 please? Measurement between wheels?
escape13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The wheels are fairly close, maybe 6"-8" at most. I have B@lXChocks
Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #3

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
Hi Michael & Debra.

We still use & are very happy with our rotochoks. They are super simple & easy to use.

The biggest benefit is the ability to chock our wheels when one side is raised on leveling blocks at an uneven campsite where a traditional chock won't work. For that purpose, only one would typically be sufficient.

However, they also further mitigate front & back movement beyond what the stabilizer jacks already provide so it creates a more stable trailer when you're inside it moving around. Thus we bought & always use two of them.

I went through my file to see if I had documentation as to what size I had ordered. I found the docs but unfortunately, they didn't state the size I have & I didn't notice it imprinted on them.

If I recall correctly, they ask for the size of your tires and the minimum distance between them. Escape 19's come with 14 inch tires. Mine came with Goodyear Marathons ST205/75R14 but I don't know if Escape still uses them as their stock tires. I went outside and did a quick measurement that was approximately between 3 1/4" and 3"1/2 between the tires. You might ask Reace or perhaps someone else here on the forum with a 19 can confirm that measurement though.

It's a great product and when I placed my order over the phone, I spoke with one of the owners and we had a great conversation in general. Chatting with her reminded me of chatting with Reace & Tammy on the phone when we were in the process of buying our Escape.

Congrats on your upcoming 19.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We raise ours on one side with levelling blocks all the time and we use a traditional chock. Don't know what you are referring to.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roto.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	2886

Rotochok, Inc. - Give your trailer a brake
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #6

I just went and measured- 3-4" is the distance here is a link to B@l X Chocks
X-Chock Tire Locking Chock, 2-Pack - BAL 28012 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #7

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
We raise ours on one side with levelling blocks all the time and we use a traditional chock. Don't know what you are referring to.
I use the stacking lego-type leveling blocks & was referring to instances where I have them stacked pyramid-style 3 levels high and, imo, there isn't enough space on the top block for a traditional chock to be used effectively.

For the raised wheels, a chock that could go btw the tandem wheels (e.g. Rotochok, Bal-X-Chock) was a secure & easy solution for me - ymmv. I didn't mean to suggest that there aren't other means to level a trailer & still be able to secure the wheels with a traditional chock.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Maybe these will work for you. I've not tried them yet.

Lynx Levelers Stop N Chock 2-Pack Lynx Levelers Accessories and Parts 77545
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 10.40.21 AM.png  
Old 07-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #9

Oh, my, you must go some really wild places to be three levels up. We are only two at most and so no trouble using our regular chocks with the blocks. The Roto chocks look good and wish we had those instead of the other stabilizers. By the way, we use heavy but small rubber chocks since the plastic ones have been known to slip right down a slope. Bought ours at Northern Tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texscapees View Post
I use the stacking lego-type leveling blocks & was referring to instances where I have them stacked pyramid-style 3 levels high and, imo, there isn't enough space on the top block for a traditional chock to be used effectively.

For the raised wheels, a chock that could go btw the tandem wheels (e.g. Rotochok, Bal-X-Chock) was a secure & easy solution for me - ymmv. I didn't mean to suggest that there aren't other means to level a trailer & still be able to secure the wheels with a traditional chock.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I need 3 blocks under one rear wheel when parked on my driveway... And it's not *that* wild...

(I have enough side-to-side slope to require 2 layers to correct, plus enough front-to-back slope that I add a layer under the rear wheels -- so back/right gets 3 layers).

I do like the BAL chocks, they're definitely more secure than anything else I've tried on raised wheels.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #11

Doug,
Am I reading this as your leveling is not consistent under both wheels, that your rear is is elevated more than your front wheels? Why not use the tongue jack to level front to rear vs suspension? Not sure if that may be harmful to your torsion over time?
Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #12

We have saved ourselves a lot of trouble --- not referring to a driveway --- by moving the Escape forward and back several times to get the bubble moved into better position. Often cannot tell just looking at the space that a few feet this way or that makes a big difference.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I have a slope both left-right and forward back. Consider my leveling job to be 2-stage...

I use a single block under each rear wheel to get the front-back closer to level (with final leveling done with the jack), plus I use two blocks under each right wheel to get side-to-side leveling. Doing both of these things should be fine on the suspension, since front-back and side-side are each done evenly.

The first time I parked it here, I didn't do the front-back leveling with blocks. I just used the jack. What I found was that I had to lower the jack enough that I was worried about putting too much stress on the front axle. When I checked the wheel lugnuts, I found that I had taken so much weight off the rear wheels that I could spin them when torquing the lugnuts.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #14

I know that this is an old thread, but I have a set of Rotochocks for sale in pristeen condition. They are size L and I also have a set of M plates to convert them to M's. I sold my TT and now have a TC and don't need anymore. Price $100.00 + shipping.
GeoBOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #15

You may want to post this under the 4 sale section
Old 12-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Escape
Rotochok

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoBOy View Post
I know that this is an old thread, but I have a set of Rotochocks for sale in pristeen condition. They are size L and I also have a set of M plates to convert them to M's. I sold my TT and now have a TC and don't need anymore. Price $100.00 + shipping.
I know it is an old post, but have you sell the medium blocks for the Rotochoks?
Lago119 is offline   Reply With Quote