RV Leveling - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2024, 07:08 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlynnrich View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I think Iíll go the tape route before I drill any holes. A lot easier to recover from
3M VHB tape is what you want. has a red backing, comes in a wide range of widths and thicknesses. in hardware stores, its retailed as '3M Mount Extreme'

I second the emotion, wipe the surfaces with isopropyl alcohol and let that evaporate before applying. I would apply it to the 'tabs' on the leveler, trim any overhang, then peel the red layer and stick to the trailer. you get one shot, once it touches its stuck.

if you need to remove VHB, use a thin steel wire between two wooden handles sort of like a garrote, cut through the foam with this wire, then clean whats left behind with WD-40 and a lot of patience. once you've removed the adhesive, clean the surface with soapy water to remove the oils from the WD-40, and wipe dry.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 09:18 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Folks, the 'tip / trick' of unplugging the umbilical was offered as a possible help for a specific real-world situation described in a specific post.

If you never have the problem, that's swell, you don't need to consider the 'trick'. There's no need to implicitly pooh-pooh the tip, or repeatedly flog the matter, because, As Always, 'YMMV'.

Sometimes I think this place is populated by rabid terriers (just can't let-go )

Give em books, they chew on the covers.
I think I’m out of here
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 05:41 AM   #63

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
if you need to remove VHB, use a thin steel wire between two wooden handles sort of like a garrote, cut through the foam with this wire, then clean whats left behind with WD-40 and a lot of patience. once you've removed the adhesive, clean the surface with soapy water to remove the oils from the WD-40, and wipe dry.
Fishing line also works if you don't have steel wire. I don't recall the test I used, it may be 20 or 30 lb. test. Try whatever you've got. Also, a little heat helps to soften the tape along with the WD-40.
Old 07-02-2024, 07:43 AM   #64

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
Fishing line also works if you don't have steel wire. I don't recall the test I used, it may be 20 or 30 lb. test. Try whatever you've got. Also, a little heat helps to soften the tape along with the WD-40.
Warm day, a little blow drier swipping action on "LOW" if needed. Sometimes you don't even need extra heat or external devices, they just peel right off.

If in doubt, like you, use Fishing Line or Dental Floss, never steel wire.
Old 07-02-2024, 10:46 AM   #65

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=John in Santa Cruz;471791]3M VHB tape is what you want. has a red backing, comes in a wide range of widths and thicknesses. in hardware stores, its retailed as '3M Mount Extreme'

I second the emotion, wipe the surfaces with isopropyl alcohol and let that evaporate before applying. I would apply it to the 'tabs' on the leveler, trim any overhang, then peel the red layer and stick to the trailer. you get one shot, once it touches its stuck.

edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote