single serve k cup coffee maker - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
It's called addiction. Terry gets up shaking with anger in her eyes, so I find life much easier if I greet her with a freshly brewed cup of coffee. In fact, the kettle is heating on the stove right now with the pour over ready to brew the coffee!

Enjoy,

Perry
Hi: Perryb67... "The best part of waking up"!!! It's what's in your cup. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #22

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Not sure why Barb doesn’t drink coffee. She will have coffee flavored things sometimes. I just don’t like it, and couldn’t see why I would pay extra to learn to like it. Same with alcohol. I mostly drink water, and from the tap or trailer tank at that..... She usually flavors her water.

As far as addiction, my folks now drink decaf, but growing up dad put a bracket, plug, and coffee pot in the in the car so they could make coffee while traveling on long vacations - 2 to 3 months at a time. I watched my mom get dizzy, sweaty, cranky, agitated, and shaky if she didn’t get her coffee. As. young child right then I decided I never wanted to use anything that could control me. It made a big impression, and I never had much caffeine after that.

I’m not opposed to the use of caffeine or alcohol, but I am opposed to the abuse of it. I spent most of my pre audio career as a counselor.

Anyway, I hope everyone finds the coffee pot of their dreams, and can enjoy, but not abuse it. I’ll stick with hot chocolate. That’s enough caffeine and sugar for me!
Old 02-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I’m not opposed to the use of caffeine or alcohol, but I am opposed to the abuse of it. I spent most of my pre audio career as a counselor.

I absolutely love coffee, nothing better than a hot cup of strong, dark roast. We've searched quite a bit and found a variety of decaffinated coffees that we think taste great. That way I can drink a few cups in the morning without getting such a huge dose.

That said, I really wish decaf was caffeine free but it isn't. It's pretty low, but I'd love it if I could drink coffee in the evening and I can't. There's enough caffeine in decaf to disrupt my sleep if I indulge late in the day.

I'm not sure what the passion is for putting caffeine into all kinds of drinks that otherwise simply don't need it. Soft drinks etc. seem to be loaded with it for no good reason. I'm usually trying to keep my intake low while drinking all the tea and coffee that I love.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:15 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Dark roast contains less caffeine than regular or blonde, so you're already good.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:23 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My doctor said I should only have one cup of coffee a day. So I do!
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #26

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Doc told my dad same thing about 1 cup a day, so every morning he gets a clean cup and uses it all day. . At his age, I don’t blame him at all!
Old 02-20-2021, 02:46 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
One a day!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi: Donna D... My Dr. said only 1 bottle of beer a day!!! I'm sooo glad that my local crafter puts theirs up in growlers!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:56 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
My Name is John, and I am a Caffiene Addict!

(the 2nd jetboil is a french press, it doesn't have its own burner)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think you could up that to two cups a day, Donna!
Old 02-20-2021, 10:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Anyway, I hope everyone finds the coffee pot of their dreams, and can enjoy, but not abuse it. I’ll stick with hot chocolate. That’s enough caffeine and sugar for me!
Ah, sugar and theobromine addictions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I'm not sure what the passion is for putting caffeine into all kinds of drinks that otherwise simply don't need it. Soft drinks etc. seem to be loaded with it for no good reason.
Only colas and some soft drinks marketed specifically for caffeine ("energy" drinks) have any caffeine. Normal root beer, citrus-flavoured varieties (7-Up, Sprite, etc), ginger ale, etc. don't have any caffeine at all. And the soft drinks that do have caffeine have it for the same reason that many people drink coffee.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:21 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Only colas and some soft drinks marketed specifically for caffeine ("energy" drinks) have any caffeine. Normal root beer, citrus-flavoured varieties (7-Up, Sprite, etc), ginger ale, etc. don't have any caffeine at all. And the soft drinks that do have caffeine have it for the same reason that many people drink coffee.
classic soft drinks like CocaCola used to have cocaine and opiates in them... when those were outlawed they used caffeine.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:52 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We have an Aero Press, which we found difficult to use and not large enough to make coffee easily for two people. So we use either a pour over or our favorite, a French press. I think we picked up the French press on Amazon a few years ago. It's large, stainless steel, easy to clean, and makes two cups for each of us. When I say cups, it's really mugs.

I would not consider using a Keurig or Kcups while camping, mainly because it's not the best coffee, but also because of the plastic waste. We prefer to have only paper or biodegradable waste in our camping trash.

We realize there are kcups now that are made of paper and are fully biodegradable, but we've found them quite expensive per serving. And biodegradable or not, it's still not very good coffee - and you still have to deal with the electrical requirements when boondocking. Propane works and heats water anywhere. To each their own.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
classic soft drinks like CocaCola used to have cocaine and opiates in them... when those were outlawed they used caffeine.
True... the well-known example with cocaine was Coca-Cola: Coca for the coca plant which provided cocaine, and Cola for the kola nuts which provided the caffeine. In our lifetimes, it is still typically colas that have caffeine, although Mountain Dew does too, in the U.S. Normal Mountain Dew has no caffeine in Canada; until 2010, non-cola soft drink were not permitted to contain caffeine.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We have an Aero Press, which we found difficult to use and not large enough to make coffee easily for two people.
An Aeropress is intended to make up to four servings. It is expected that you brew it strong and dilute to taste, similar to using espresso to make Americano. While on the road we normally use an Aeropress for two.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:16 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
We have an Aero Press, which we found difficult to use and not large enough to make coffee easily for two people. So we use either a pour over or our favorite, a French press.
here's my Aeropress for 2 (as in 2 mugs). use twice as much coffee, use the 'inverted' method' (google it) with a half minute or so presoak, then flip and press into one cup, split this between the two mugs, and top off both mugs with more hot water. as I like my coffee stronger than my wife, I usually do the split 1/3rd, 2/3rds.

voila, two perfect cups of very smooth very rich coffee. oh, and I use a rather fine grind, such as one would use with melitta hand pour, rather than the coarser grind the Aeropress folks recommend.

that all said, you might see a melitta #4 1-cupper on top of the white mug in my coffee cabinet there, too. same deal, I use double the coffee, pour slowly so it comes out strong, split this across two mugs and top off with hot water.

and as I said, that 2nd 'jetboil' is actually a french press, but I don't use that much camping as the cleanup is so messy. the aeropress is so neat, just remove the plastic filter cover, and 'pop' the plug of spent coffee directly into the wastebasket, and wipe it off with a bit of damp paper towel, and its ready to go again.

I got that Handground brand mill when they were a kickstarter, and I understand there are even better hand mills now (there weren't any I knew of back then). The Handground works fine for most grinds other than espresso fine, I think I use 3-1/2 for both Aeropress and hand pour drip, with our usual medium roast Moka-Java, or Kenya AA, or whatever.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:24 AM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When using pour over, it's recommended that you wet the grounds with a little boiled water and after a couple minutes, begin the pour. The water will have cooled to the proper temperature.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:36 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
When using pour over, it's recommended that you wet the grounds with a little boiled water and after a couple minutes, begin the pour. The water will have cooled to the proper temperature.
yup, exactly. i dribble inn just enough water to soak the filter cone, wait a min, then slow dribble in the rest of the water, never letting the filter fill up. the jetboil 'sumo' (big version) makes a pretty decent pour
Old 02-21-2021, 06:31 AM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
We have an Aero Press, which we found difficult to use and not large enough to make coffee easily for two people. So we use either a pour over or our favorite, a French press. I think we picked up the French press on Amazon a few years ago. It's large, stainless steel, easy to clean, and makes two cups for each of us. When I say cups, it's really mugs.

I would not consider using a Keurig or Kcups while camping, mainly because it's not the best coffee, but also because of the plastic waste. We prefer to have only paper or biodegradable waste in our camping trash.

We realize there are kcups now that are made of paper and are fully biodegradable, but we've found them quite expensive per serving. And biodegradable or not, it's still not very good coffee - and you still have to deal with the electrical requirements when boondocking. Propane works and heats water anywhere. To each their own.
For some reason, my sense of smell, for certain smells, started going south five years ago (not COVID-19 related). Perhaps genetic, because my mother suffered from the same malady. With it, went my ability to taste the fine nuances in some foods and beverages. One of those nuances was the ability to somewhat taste the subtle flavors that distinguish great tasting coffee from blah tasting coffee. While I can still taste coffee and could tell if you tried to slip me a cup of let’s say Taster’s Choice Instant, it is now more difficult for me to distinguish between something like Jamaica Blue Mountain, a true Kona, and a typical K-cup. As a result, I no longer find Keurig unacceptable. For a lifelong coffee lover, the best reaction is simply to say “it sucks.” But it has simplified my RV morning routines and lightened my trailer. I no longer use my Bona Vita drip coffee maker which has a carafe with a filter basket sitting atop rather than fitting in a slot on the drip maker itself, similar to the photo Glenn Baglo posted of his pour-over. I loved the Bona Vita because it did wet the grounds before starting the full flow, and the carafe and filter basket could be used with propane heated pour-over water. No more manual grinding of beans every morning, no more grounds to dispose, no more rinsing/washing of the filter basket, carafe, and its lid. Now it’s just a Mini-Keurig, taking up far less space. Yes, the K-cups are not environmentally friendly and are more expensive, but the spouse doesn’t drink coffee, only me. While I have lost some of life’s pleasures, my life has been simplified to a degree by my smell receptors becoming “Comfortably Numb.” (Thank you Roger Waters/David Gilmore for that reference!)
Old 02-21-2021, 10:35 AM   #40

Trailer: 2020 21C
The inverter manufacturer told me that the inverter on my 2016 was called 1500 watts however it really put 1800 watts. The parts to produce were no longer available and so they now produce another model which is only 1500 watts and that is my problem. Very disappointed as I was very happy for 4 yrs with my setup. Buy a new trailer and inverter doesn't work as expected. It starts heating water but when it goes to brew the inverter shuts down, pulls to much power. It's also nosier with the fans running on inverter, never noticed on old inverter.. I have tested it several times and it's the amount of amps it pulls after it shuts down goes back up to same battery level..just draws too much to make coffee. I was spoiled with previous setup.
nrthwds is offline   Reply With Quote