single serve k cup coffee maker - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2021, 12:59 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthwds View Post
The inverter manufacturer told me that the inverter on my 2016 was called 1500 watts however it really put 1800 watts. The parts to produce were no longer available and so they now produce another model which is only 1500 watts and that is my problem. Very disappointed as I was very happy for 4 yrs with my setup. Buy a new trailer and inverter doesn't work as expected. It starts heating water but when it goes to brew the inverter shuts down, pulls to much power. It's also nosier with the fans running on inverter, never noticed on old inverter.. I have tested it several times and it's the amount of amps it pulls after it shuts down goes back up to same battery level..just draws too much to make coffee. I was spoiled with previous setup.
If the coffee machine is really drawing 1450 watts, it should work fine on a 1500 watt inverter. If you can buy or borrow a Kill-A-Watt meter, measure the actual wattage it draws. If it is over 1500 watts, you are out of luck unless you want to change up to a 2000 watt inverter.

If it is below 1500 watts, as Tom suggested, the problem is probably that the wiring between the batteries & the inverter is causing enough voltage drop under heavy load to cause the inverter to shut down due to low voltage. The voltage at the batteries (or shown on a monitor) might well be above the shut off voltage of the inverter, but measuring it at the input terminals of the inverter will include the drop across the fuse & wiring & is worth checking. Increasing the wire size & fuse mounting may well make the difference.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
.... I no longer use my Bona Vita drip coffee maker which has a carafe with a filter basket sitting atop rather than fitting in a slot on the drip maker itself, similar to the photo Glenn Baglo posted of his pour-over. I loved the Bona Vita because it did wet the grounds before starting the full flow, and the carafe and filter basket could be used with propane heated pour-over water. ...
We had that same Bonavita at home. it in fact DOES use a Melitta carafe and filter, I've been told they are in fact made by Melitta to Bonavita's specifications.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:13 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
When we were looking to change from an electric drip coffee maker, we looked at several methods:
Aero Press: to us the coffee wasn't strong enough after diluting.
French Press: great coffee, clean up took too much water and was a pain
Pour over: made good coffee similar to the electric drip method

We finally found Clever Coffee Dripper coffee maker. It is a cross between the Pour Over and the French Press that uses paper coffee filters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-22-2021, 02:38 PM   #44
Site Team

the way to get strong coffee from an aeropress is to use the 'inverted method'.

pull the piston most of the way out (leave about 1/2" inserted), put it upside down (bottom facing up) on the table, without the filter basket in place, and pour in quite a lot of very fine ground coffee, as much as you'd use for two strong mugs made by drip. add hot water nearly to the rim, use the paddle handle to stir this coffee+water mix a couple times, and let it sit a full minute or even two, maybe stirring a 2nd time. put the filter paper disc in the basket, put that on the aeropress, and invert it over a large mug, press slowly til its fully pressed. split that coffee into both mugs, and top off with water to taste, you can make it so rich and strong its like espresso.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
We had that same Bonavita at home. it in fact DOES use a Melitta carafe and filter, I've been told they are in fact made by Melitta to Bonavita's specifications.
If I didn’t have a MoccaMaster, I would be using the BonaVita no longer used in the trailer at home. It’s a great drip coffee maker. Actually, both make excellent coffee (if your sense of smell and consequently your taste buds) still function perfectly, which mine do not. But I use the MoccaMaster because it will not dispense water into the filter basket if the carafe is not in place. It prevents me from making stupid messy mistakes when I am still half asleep. I still have the BonaVita in case the MoccaMaster fails, but that is doubtful as it is built like a brick outhouse.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:

pull the piston most of the way out (leave about 1/2" inserted), put it upside down (bottom facing up) on the table, without the filter basket in place, and pour in quite a lot of very fine ground coffee, as much as you'd use for two strong mugs made by drip. add hot water nearly to the rim, use the paddle handle to stir this coffee+water mix a couple times, and let it sit a full minute or even two, maybe stirring a 2nd time. put the filter paper disc in the basket, put that on the aeropress, and invert it over a large mug, press slowly til its fully pressed. split that coffee into both mugs, and top off with water to taste, you can make it so rich and strong its like espresso.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:58 PM   #47
Site Team

Re the Bonavita we had at home, that got replaced with a Motif, which has the same sort of presoak and delayed brewing, plus the filter basket is permanently attached, the stainless carafes lid doesn't need removing to brew, and the water tank is detachable for filling. https://www.motifcoffee.com/products...s-steel-carafe.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:35 AM   #48

Quote:
Re the Bonavita we had at home, that got replaced with a Motif, which has the same sort of presoak and delayed brewing, plus the filter basket is permanently attached, the stainless carafes lid doesn't need removing to brew, and the water tank is detachable for filling. https://www.motifcoffee.com/products...s-steel-carafe.
John, looks like the Motif can also be used as a pour-over in the absence of electrical power. It does appear to have a much larger footprint (at least width) than the BonaVita. And putting the lid on the carafe after brewing never bothered me, though I suppose some would find it an inconvenience. Thanks for posting the link.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Aero Press: to us the coffee wasn't strong enough after diluting.
If this is happening there are a lot of things to do to correct it;
-add less water
-add more coffee. With most origins I use about 20gm to make a 300ml cup. Some like it weaker so I add a bit more water.
-grind coffee finer. I grind quite fine, a bit finer than a drip grind.
-extend extraction time. I usually use about 90 about seconds including bloom time. I do vary this and the grind some for certain origins to get the taste out of them I like.

Quote:
This is just not true, John. The AeroPress has been my main coffee maker at home, and only method with the trailer since they came out 15 years or so ago. I have tried many different twists to extracting, and still do.

I have tried inverted many times, and have done some taste samplings with a group of people a few times making it regular and inverted. Using all the same amounts of water, the same grind, and the same timing, there is no difference in the taste anyone could see.

Many use the inverted due to the fact no water goes through the filter while sitting and extracting, but I found the difference in the wee bit of water that did get through does not affect the taste. This said, I have been using the Fellow Prismo for a few years now, as it does not drip a bit using the normal method, and it fits and seals way better than the factory one.

There are many great ways to make coffee if done right, so as long as you are enjoying your cup outside your trailer watching the sun come up across the water, life is wonderful.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Well, this thread is making us feel like we're missing something. Having tried all kinds of exotic coffees and methods over the years, neither myself or my wife can handle the acidity of most of these coffees. (Can't do Starbucks because of the acidity in their coffees.)
We love McDonald's Premium Roast - Medium. 30oz can at Wally for $8 it's one of the more economical ones as well. Fortunately, we're not alone as it continues to win the taste tests and surveys of comparable products at other similar venues that serve coffee.
Maybe we'll try making McD's coffee in a press just to see if it comes out any different than a drip or pour over.
I'm sure if you can handle acidic coffees then the grinding/press type thing could brew a great cup, but for us we just can't handle the acid that comes with most of these type coffees.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:31 PM   #51

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my Kuerig single serve never worked in my Escape even with electric hook up. just seemed to jam up. I used filtered water. I switched to an insolated French press better coffee easy to use -except i need to clean it.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:02 PM   #52
Omi

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
I can't resist adding my two cents here. I too have several coffee making arrangements which gives my non-coffee drinking husband lots of material for humorous stories.
In the interest of saving water in our 17B, I have mostly been using Mount Hagen instant coffee. Once I figured out the exact amount to measure for my mug, I find that it is on a par with my pour-over and french press . . . voila no cleanup!
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:05 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Well, this thread is making us feel like we're missing something. Having tried all kinds of exotic coffees and methods over the years, neither myself or my wife can handle the acidity of most of these coffees. (Can't do Starbucks because of the acidity in their coffees.)
We love McDonald's Premium Roast - Medium. 30oz can at Wally for $8 it's one of the more economical ones as well. Fortunately, we're not alone as it continues to win the taste tests and surveys of comparable products at other similar venues that serve coffee.
Maybe we'll try making McD's coffee in a press just to see if it comes out any different than a drip or pour over.
I'm sure if you can handle acidic coffees then the grinding/press type thing could brew a great cup, but for us we just can't handle the acid that comes with most of these type coffees.
Might I suggest you try Folger’s Simply Smooth if acidity is a problem.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:08 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
my Kuerig single serve never worked in my Escape even with electric hook up. just seemed to jam up. I used filtered water. I switched to an insolated French press better coffee easy to use -except i need to clean it.
Huh? Mine woks fine. Did your single serve work at home? Nothing different in the countertop at home and in the trailer, or in the electricity at home or in the trailer.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Might I suggest you try Folger’s Simply Smooth if acidity is a problem.
Actually a good suggestion. We have tried the folgers and liked it, very low on the acidity. The McD's coffee for us is far better so we stay with that for now.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:44 PM   #56

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I think it didn't work because it was used less in the trailer anyway I got sick of it not working. French press works ever time. But with all this talk I'm considering a pour over with filter easer clean up and usually good coffee. I like the one over the insolated carafe.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:53 PM   #57
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:

We love McDonald's Premium Roast - Medium. 30oz can at Wally for $8 it's one of the more economical ones as well.
Greg this is absolute proof that tastes vary wildly. We find McDonald's coffee has a very acid taste, to the point of being undrinkable. On the other hand the coffees we drink (such as Guatemala Antigua, Peruvian and Sumatran) we find smooth, rich and not acidic at all.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Actually a good suggestion. We have tried the folgers and liked it, very low on the acidity. The McD's coffee for us is far better so we stay with that for now.
While I will drink McDonald's coffee on a stop at one of their restaurants, I much prefer freshly ground Sumatran. It has far less acid & a rich taste.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:23 PM   #59

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
I love coffee, but I just can't drink it any more. I have a Bezzera BZ10 espresso machine and a fancy Vario grinder sitting in my basement utility room on a shelf because I haven't gotten around to selling them.

When I drink coffee, something just isn't right with my digestion, and I didn't figure this out until after I spent $$$ on all kinds of medical tests to try to identify why I had a significant amount of nausea at certain times of the day. After a panoscopy, nuclear medicine tests, allergy tests, and others (+ they were almost ready to rip out my gall bladder at one point, but the GI doc disagreed with the surgeon), it turns out that the only thing to make it better was to not drink coffee.

I am now a tea drinker, and I think that my body appreciates it (and the lower amount of caffeine). I am intensely jealous when my wife has her morning cup, and the smell still calls to me. When I did make coffee while camping, it would be either perc or french press. I now have a fancy electric tea pot that boils 16 oz of water in like 3 minutes (less fancy than the espresso machine though, and 0.1 the price).
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:28 PM   #60

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Ok this tread is still going, and we still don’t drink coffee.