single serve k cup coffee maker - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21C
single serve k cup coffee maker

Any recommendations? With my previous 17B inverter I was able to use my Kuerig single serve coffee maker but with my 2020 21c the inverter has changed and it won't brew the coffee. Anyone with a newer Escape with GP-ISW1500-12 inverter that has any recommendations for a k cup coffee maker that will works with the inverter would be appreciated. I hate to buy one and find out it doesn't work with the inverter. The one I'm looking at is Hamilton Beach 49979 FlexBrew and it uses 1050 watts. My old one that doesn't work uses 1450 watts. It seems all Kuerigs use about 1400 to 1500 watts. Thanks in advance!
nrthwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthwds View Post
Any recommendations? With my previous 17B inverter I was able to use my Kuerig single serve coffee maker but with my 2020 21c the inverter has changed and it won't brew the coffee. Anyone with a newer Escape with GP-ISW1500-12 inverter that has any recommendations for a k cup coffee maker that will works with the inverter would be appreciated. I hate to buy one and find out it doesn't work with the inverter. The one I'm looking at is Hamilton Beach 49979 FlexBrew and it uses 1050 watts. My old one that doesn't work uses 1450 watts. It seems all Kuerigs use about 1400 to 1500 watts. Thanks in advance!
Good coffee flavor extraction requires water temps in the 195° to 205° F range. It would seem that lower wattage would result in lower water temperatures or longer brew times.

That being said, I do not know any coffee fanatics who think the taste of coffee from Kcups is “worth writing home about.” However, in the small space of an Escape trailer the Keurig is convenient. I used to use a top notch drip coffee maker and ground fresh beans to make a pot of coffee every morning. Then I had to dump the grounds, rinse the filter basket, the carafe when empty, etc., and store a lot of coffee making equipment when traveling, not to mention the counter space it occupied. I now use a mini-Keurig to eliminate all the negatives mentioned above.

So I would ask, what are the symptoms that occur when you try to run the Keurig? The 1500 watt inverter should be able to power a 1450 watt Keurig, although it is not ideal to operate that close to full capacity. Most inverters will surge higher than their rating, but a coffee maker is constant wattage, heating elements do not require a power surge to start. Most inverters will shut down if battery voltage is inadequate. Is you battery (or batteries) fully charged? Has ETI changed the brand or just the model of inverter from what they were installing when your previous trailer was built? And have you called the inverter manufacturer to ask why their 1500 watt inverter won’t supply 1450 watts? I would make some inquiries before buying a new single serve coffee maker; the problem might not be the Keurig.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I use this thing that is a hybrid of a Keurig and a French press. Boil the water pour in, plunge through the K-cup. So no electricity needed and easy cleanup.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
With Keurigs being so ubiquitous nowadays, surely you will get some owners with direct experience to answer your question specifically. If you don't arrive at a solution, though, consider an Aeropress; you just have to heat the water yourself and pour it in, and rinse clean after plunging.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I usually use a French press but you have to deal with grounds and cleanup. I bought one of these which I haven’t traveled with yet but it uses K cups and works pretty well if you take your time and go slow. No cleanup though
Attached Thumbnails
E87195ED-64E7-4FAA-9F30-006338ADF72C.jpg  
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I boil water on the stove, in a kettle, climb out of bed to shut off the smoke alarm because I neglected to open the range hood vent. I pour the water through a Melita filter holder with already ground coffee from a can. It drips into a thermos. Drink the coffee and pick up the filter, with the grounds in it, and toss into the trash.

You can buy one, four or eight cup filter holders. I splurged and bought a combo filter holder and thermos. Makes enough that wife and I each get two cups.
Attached Thumbnails
Melita thermos.jpg  
Old 02-19-2021, 06:25 AM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I boil water on the stove, in a kettle, climb out of bed to shut off the smoke alarm because I neglected to open the range hood vent. I pour the water through a Melita filter holder with already ground coffee from a can. It drips into a thermos. Drink the coffee and pick up the filter, with the grounds in it, and toss into the trash.

You can buy one, four or eight cup filter holders. I splurged and bought a combo filter holder and thermos. Makes enough that wife and I each get two cups.
This is the same Milita system we've been using in the past few campers. Works great and makes great coffee!

Before bed I fill the kettle full of water, rinse yesterdays coffee out of the pot, and put the filter holder on with a fresh filter. In the morning just turn the gas on the kettle and put coffee in the filter. Five minutes later I'm pouring boiling water on the grounds and in two more minutes throwing the filter away and enjoying great coffee. No electricity, and no fancy K-cups, but better tasting coffee. TETO!

If we're leaving the campground Terry has the pot in the truck so we can have coffee down the road. The coffee stays hot for 3-4 more hours.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-19-2021, 07:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthwds View Post
Your inverter should be able to operate the Kuerig single serve coffee maker. If the issue is that the inverter is shutting down due to low voltage, it may be the 200 amp fuse / battery cables to the inverter that is the problem.

I had the same issue with running my microwave - on high power, the inverter would trip on low voltage with the batteries at full charge. After measuring the voltage drops from the battery to the inverter, I found that the 200 amp fuse had loose rivets causing most of the voltage drop so I replaced it with a fuse holder and a new fuse. At the same time, the 2 AWG cables had significant voltage drop across the hammer crimps and cable so I replaced them too.

Now I can run the inverter to max load without tripping - much better! This may be something you should look at on your trailer as well.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...les-19164.html
Old 02-19-2021, 07:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I usually use a French press but you have to deal with grounds and cleanup. I bought one of these which I haven’t traveled with yet but it uses K cups and works pretty well if you take your time and go slow. No cleanup though
I too use the MyJo Kuerig, I am not that particular with coffee (I like it fresh) but this gadget works great for my needs.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19 (6/15/21)
https://www.amazon.com/CHULUX-Single...%2C253&sr=8-10
I've been eyeing this... only 800 watts.
thoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
We make it simple. We don’t drink coffee We will probably die young!
Old 02-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
We just keep it simple old fashion
Attached Thumbnails
C1B2A895-E4B8-487C-87D9-6D9C48F94FD4.jpg  
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I’m not sure I could trust someone who doesn’t drink coffee!!!

Not having coffee would be like dying for me.....
Old 02-19-2021, 02:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I carry a 600 watt 5 cup drip coffee maker. It lets me select whole beans & grind my own when I need it. My favorite is Sumatra Mandheling.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Trust

Sorry to break your trust, but we used the money saved to help pay for an upcoming E!9. Does that help?
Old 02-19-2021, 03:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Sorry to break your trust, but we used the money saved to help pay for an upcoming E!9. Does that help?
Of course it does. And I would trust you, coffee drinker or not!
Old 02-19-2021, 07:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
We just keep it simple old fashion
We also carry one of those around if no hookups . Have a small Mr. Coffee from one of the kids if we have hookups and that one has a very sentimental reason as she passed . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:46 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
We have an electric boiler that you can set temperature to 205. Then we either use a filter pour over or a French press. We are retired, clean up is not a problem. I don’t like plastic with superheated water. It’s why I also abhor cheap coffee makers. Glass or stainless steel. I have seen Kreiger style pods that aren’t plastic. We also carry a small burr grinder. Coffee is my favorite meal of the day.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:23 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: brroberts... Not drinking coffee in the AM gives me a headache!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030937.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #20

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: brroberts... Not drinking coffee in the AM gives me a headache!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
It's called addiction. Terry gets up shaking with anger in her eyes, so I find life much easier if I greet her with a freshly brewed cup of coffee. In fact, the kettle is heating on the stove right now with the pour over ready to brew the coffee!

Enjoy,

Perry