TireTraker Tire Monitoring System – Review - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #1

TireTraker Tire Monitoring System – Review

Ever since we had the tire blow-out on the Airstream we have been leery of RV tires. Since our vehicles have TPMS we thought it best to get something for our Itsaca 24V. We found the TireTraker and it’s perfect for our needs. We we’re luck and got it on sale for $239.00. A small price to pay for piece of mind and quite honestly the repair of bill would be way higher..

So, here’s our quick review: http://www.rvtraveltv.com/?p=245

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #2

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZ View Post
Ever since we had the tire blow-out on the Airstream we have been leery of RV tires. Since our vehicles have TPMS we thought it best to get something for our Itsaca 24V. We found the TireTraker and it’s perfect for our needs. We we’re luck and got it on sale for $239.00. A small price to pay for piece of mind and quite honestly the repair of bill would be way higher..

So, here’s our quick review: RV Travel TV » TireTraker Tire Monitoring System – Review
It seems this review is no longer available on BLIP...care to share it here?
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
I'm also in the market for a TPMS and looking for members who have expierence using theirs.
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I've had a Tire Traker system on our 19 for three years, and like it... when it works. The company has been good about replacing failed parts -- I've had a tire sensor fail, and two monitors fail in different ways. I'm told by them that my experiences in that regard are unusual. They do have a three year warranty, hopefullly I'll have no more problems.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We have this one.

Dill Air Controls Products » Trailer TPMS
Old 02-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I am leery of any tire pressure monitoring system which screws onto the tire valves externally. They hold the valve open and must seal against the valve opening to keep the air in the tire, which just seems like an invitation for leaks (which they would detect, of course ). Also, adding an object to the valve then spinning it around at about 800 RPM (205/75R14 tire at 100 km/h) seems like a fundamentally bad thing to do to the valve.

The auto industry's solution is sensors built into the base of the valve, inside the wheel - now found on essentially every new car - but that is presumably too expensive for the trailer industry.

Edit: I had not heard of the Dill product before, and not followed the link yet when I first posted. Apparently there is at least this one properly configured system - thanks for the info, Tom.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
I carry a good tire pressure gauge with me in the truck. I check the air often when traveling.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I am leery of any tire pressure monitoring system which screws onto the tire valves externally. They hold the valve open and must seal against the valve opening to keep the air in the tire, which just seems like an invitation for leaks (which they would detect, of course ). Also, adding an object to the valve then spinning it around at about 800 RPM (205/75R14 tire at 100 km/h) seems like a fundamentally bad thing to do to the valve.

The auto industry's solution is sensors built into the base of the valve, inside the wheel - now found on essentially every new car - but that is presumably too expensive for the trailer industry.

Edit: I had not heard of the Dill product before, and not followed the link yet when I first posted. Apparently there is at least this one properly configured system - thanks for the info, Tom.

I had mentioned in other post that I had purchased one system that screwed onto the valve steam and just did not feel comfortable with it. This is our 2nd Dill system. Ran it on the Casita for 4 years with no problems. The only thing is you have to dismount the tires to install but is a very nice system once you have them installed. It was the first mod I did to the Escape before we ever made a trip. Love the peace of mind of what's going on back there.