Towing Mirrors - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Grand Aeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
Toyota highlander folks - Have you found a towing mirror that fits?
The standard size Grand Aeros work well for us on the 2012 Highlander. Let me digress.
The glass part of the mirror swivels around inside of the housing to adjust for different sized drivers. My wife and I are about the same height. Actually she's a little taller because she's beat on me for 46 years. However, I am taller in the upper body so we do not
have to adjust the mirrors between drivers. HOWEVER. I did notice that if the mirrors get moved by accident, if they are tipped down, there's not enough rim in front of the
Glass for The Clamps to fit properly. The Mirror has to be about vertical. That's my observation. At vertical, I can see very well so we are ok with it. As Donna Kinda says YMMMV. ( Your mirror mount may vary)
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
That's good news.... on sites with ratings, a couple folks mentioned they (Aero Grand) did not fit on their highlanders as there was not enough room between the mirror and the casing. Do you have a photo of yours installed on your highlander?
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:56 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you push on the bottom of the mirror itself, the top gap will open up. Makes a ratcheting sound, but nothing is breaking. You can then install the Grand Aero and you can still adjust your vehicle mirror using the buttons inside.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:58 PM   #44

Mirror pics

Sorry I did not see your post till just now, we have been out in the country looking at deer and pheasants and it is dark here now. I will put the mirrors on in the morning and take a couple pictures and post them. I think Eric Thompson (Thoer) has a new Highlander and mentioned a close fit to me at the Mississippi River Rendezvous.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #45

Wink Click click click.

You are right about that Glenn, same deal on the Highlander. My clamps
fit nice and tight and it's easy to replicate the right attachment point each day as I usually take them off at night or while on tour during the day with the camper detached.
Dave
Old 11-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #46

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Patricia, We use CIPA Universal Towing Mirrors on both sides on our 2002 Highlander, and they work great. The clips are a close fit, but don't interfere. They do whistle a bit if you get up around 70 mph, but that's a good auditory warning to slow down.
CIPA Universal Tow Mirror - CIPA 11960 - Mirrors - Camping World
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA for September 8, 2017 delivery
On the positive reviews I've read about the Grand Aeros, I just ordered a set, and am extremely pleased with the way they fit my old 2001 Tundra. Great fit, and easily adjustable.
Lug Nut & Torque Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:43 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The standard size Grand Aeros work well for us on the 2012 Highlander. Let me digress.
The glass part of the mirror swivels around inside of the housing to adjust for different sized drivers. My wife and I are about the same height. Actually she's a little taller because she's beat on me for 46 years. However, I am taller in the upper body so we do not
have to adjust the mirrors between drivers. HOWEVER. I did notice that if the mirrors get moved by accident, if they are tipped down, there's not enough rim in front of the
Glass for The Clamps to fit properly. The Mirror has to be about vertical. That's my observation. At vertical, I can see very well so we are ok with it. As Donna Kinda says YMMMV. ( Your mirror mount may vary)
Dave
Seems like a lot of people are happy with the Grand Aero's. I was looking at the Grand Aero 3 for a 2012 Highlander -
Milenco Grand Aero 3 Towing Mirror - Milenco, Europe's leading manufacturer of award winning caravan products

There are two options, the Flat and the Convex. Any thoughts on that choice?
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #49

Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Seems like a lot of people are happy with the Grand Aero's. I was looking at the Grand Aero 3 for a 2012 Highlander -
Milenco Grand Aero 3 Towing Mirror - Milenco, Europe's leading manufacturer of award winning caravan products

We have the flat ones. 30,000 miles no problems. Check the top nuts every morning especially after washboard roads. They will loosen up a little. Check the back screw on the mirror once in a while too.
Dave
Old 06-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #50

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:

Flat for sure. Convex you can't judge distance accurately. I have mine vertically so I can see my trailer tires. That is critical for backing into a space. On the right side of your tow, the stock convex will show you traffic in the adjacent lane. On the left you already have a larger field of view because you sit close the the drivers side mirror.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Flat for sure. Convex you can't judge distance accurately. I have mine vertically so I can see my trailer tires. That is critical for backing into a space. On the right side of your tow, the stock convex will show you traffic in the adjacent lane. On the left you already have a larger field of view because you sit close the the drivers side mirror.
I use a flat on the driver's side and the convex on the passenger side. I had to order the flat mirror from England - I couldn't find a US or Canadian supplier that carried the flat version.

Maybe someone does now. If you find one, please post the dealer - it would be handy for those looking for one (or 2).
Old 06-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #52

I have flat on both sides, and little stick-on convex stuck on my OEM mirrors. Love that I can adjust Milenco and OEM mirrors independently.
Attached Thumbnails
Milenco .jpg  
Old 06-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I use a flat on the driver's side and the convex on the passenger side. I had to order the flat mirror from England - I couldn't find a US or Canadian supplier that carried the flat version.

Maybe someone does now. If you find one, please post the dealer - it would be handy for those looking for one (or 2).
Hi Jon,

If I didn't already have Areo's I would get these.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towi...id=20164179562

They are a new product from Cipa. I had the convex Cipa's before and found they actually fit my Tacoma better than the Areo. But I also prefer flat mirrors. This new model has both.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 06-04-2017, 06:21 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

They sell a Twin Pack with one of each in the UK for around $77 USD - https://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/mil...-/prod_35.html

Now, just need to find the same thing in the US.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #55

Quote:
They sell a Twin Pack with one of each in the UK for around $77 USD - https://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/mil...-/prod_35.html

Now, just need to find the same thing in the US.
I got mine through Amazon for a bit more $$$.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Bremerton, WA
Old 06-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I got mine through Amazon for a bit more $$$.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Is that Amazon item a flat and a convex? I saw it but couldn't tell from the description.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #57

From what I can tell, in the States you can buy a Milenco Grand Aero 3 twin pack but the mirrors are both flat. This is distributed by Dometic as their part DM-2912. Prices are around $110 USD for the set.

Milenco Grand Aero 3 Towing Mirrors, Set of 2 - Dometic DM-2912 - Mirrors - Camping World

However, there is also a Dometic DM-2493 convex replacement head for about $30 USD.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dometic-D...ement/54409431
Old 06-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #58

I prefer both flat, because my other mirrors cover the rest, and I can judge distance more reliably.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I prefer both flat, because my other mirrors cover the rest, and I can judge distance more reliably.
Judging by the fact that you can only buy a pair of flat mirrors, I hazard to guess that it is the preference of the majority. We'll start with that and can always add a convex head if we aren't happy.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
From what I can tell, in the States you can buy a Milenco Grand Aero 3 twin pack but the mirrors are both flat. This is distributed by Dometic as their part DM-2912. Prices are around $110 USD for the set.

Milenco Grand Aero 3 Towing Mirrors, Set of 2 - Dometic DM-2912 - Mirrors - Camping World

However, there is also a Dometic DM-2493 convex replacement head for about $30 USD.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dometic-D...ement/54409431
I'd check with Dometic before buying - I looked at the mirrors & talked with one of their reps at last winter's Quartzsite Big Tent sale, and the mirrors they were offering were both convex. I tried to talk them into offering a package of one of each, but they were not interested. I asked it a single flat mirror "head" only (no arms) was available and they said no.

Maybe things have changed, but if you want flat I suggest you look at a sample before purchasing on line...