trailer aid - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Other than being a few minutes quicker than a jack, if you have a jack with you anyway, why not use it on the off chance you would have a flat?

Not that I don't like this Trailer-Aid, in fact I just ordered one a few hours ago, but my thoughts are for it to be used for maintenance, and keep my travelling gear to a minimum.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
Anderson levelor on a 1 inch block of wood should work.
I wouldn't use two different surfaces as they are not stable being used together- they can slide on each other. Got lucky once with that happening on my tongue stand- it slid sideways and off to the ground with no damage or harm.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Other than being a few minutes quicker than a jack, if you have a jack with you anyway, why not use it on the off chance you would have a flat?

Not that I don't like this Trailer-Aid, in fact I just ordered one a few hours ago, but my thoughts are for it to be used for maintenance, and keep my travelling gear to a minimum.
I keep my in the right corner of my front box; plenty of room there.
The thing about a using jack is that safety protocol is to also use jack stands as the jack can fail, especially a hydraulic one. I think the Trailerail-Aid is safer than a jack for that reason.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The thing about a using jack is that safety protocol is to also use jack stands as the jack can fail, especially a hydraulic one. I think the Trailerail-Aid is safer than a jack for that reason.
I always have the tow vehicle connected to the trailer with changing a tire, so that it is stable. Park brake on. Never had an issue, though the jack I now use is the mechanical scissor type. As mentioned, I have never changed tires on the Escape, but have on my construction trailer a few times. As well, I have changed quite a few tires on cars and trucks in the past, where you can't use something like this Trailer-Aid anyway, and rely only on the jack. I am however, cautious of not putting a limb in any place it could get hurt anyway.

I don't have the storage box, but would still have lots of room. But, just like everything else with RVing for us, if something does not get used, or if there is an alternate method for the rare occasion of needing it, it usually gets left behind.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
I always have the tow vehicle connected to the trailer with changing a tire, so that it is stable. Park brake on. Never had an issue, though the jack I now use is the mechanical scissor type. As mentioned, I have never changed tires on the Escape, but have on my construction trailer a few times. As well, I have changed quite a few tires on cars and trucks in the past, where you can't use something like this Trailer-Aid anyway, and rely only on the jack. I am however, cautious of not putting a limb in any place it could get hurt anyway...
Safety is always paramount, and I agree that Jim's methods are suitable for ensuring safe conditions when changing a tire. In, fact I would not hesitate to ask Jim to change the tires on my Escape should it ever become necessary to do so.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Safety is always paramount, and I agree that Jim's methods are suitable for ensuring safe conditions when changing a tire. In, fact I would not hesitate to ask Jim to change the tires on my Escape should it ever become necessary to do so.
Sure thing, bring it on over whenever you need a flat changed out.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
I've tried using the Anderson Levelers on my 21, in my driveway, to remove a tire, and it worked just fine. It lifted the, to be removed tire, off the ground by maybe an inch. I'm not sure how it would work with ground that wasn't flat and firm, but then how would the trailer buddy or a jack work in that situation? I also wouldn't expect it to work with the 5.0 because they use leaf springs for suspension which could mean more sag of the unsupported axle. AND, I don't know if the torsion suspension relaxes over time, so as to leave the levelers unusable for tire changes down the road.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #28

Quote:
I always have the tow vehicle connected to the trailer with changing a tire, so that it is stable. Park brake on. Never had an issue, though the jack I now use is the mechanical scissor type.
I wouldn't hesitate to use just a jack for changing a tire either. After using the Trailer-Aid several times recently with the brake problems I had I know it is much easier than using a jack. Also, for new owners picking up- you're supposed to adjust your brakes after 200 miles, which no one does according to my mechanic. However, it is a pretty easy thing to do with a flathead screwdriver or a $5 brake adjusting tool.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
You can't get out of Washington state after 200 miles. Do we need a request for a brake adjusting station 200 miles south of Chilliwack, for those of us heading south? Or maybe Bob's Burgers and Brews should move a little?
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Yes, my impression is that a Trailer-Aid is safer and easier.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:06 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Trailer Aid Products and Andersen Products

I have just ordered a Trailer Aid Plus for my Escape 19. This gives 5.5 inches of lift rather than 4.5 inches with the Trailer Aid.

Andersen makes two similar looking products with different functions - the Andersen Camper Leveller (2 needed if you have tandem axels) and the Andersen Jack which seems to operate on a similar "drive-on" principle. Here is a link to the Andersen Canadian site that shows these two products. https://www.andersenhitches.com/Cata...cessories.aspx

dave
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Phew! We always carry four blocks of wood for the supports so we should be good. Thanks.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote