Ultimate Camping Accessory - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Not to make light of a serious issue, but Oregon is the hottest it's been this year since the 1890s. I don't remember that time Folks I work with are $%^& and complaining, I keep reminding them the rains are coming... sideways. And my grass will look just as good as the neighbors who pay bucks to keep theirs green in the "hot." The good part is I can go camping on the weekends instead of mowing the dang lawn!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
From what I hear on the news, everything in California is going downhill.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
It's cyclic and eventually the drought will end and we'll all live happily ever after.

Then we can all have a jacuzzi in our campsite.

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The California water wars are an example of diversion of the Colorado River for LA growth as illustrated in the movie "ChinaTown". A more current reading is http://www.amazon.com/Dam-Nation-Sha.../dp/0762787627 and Cadillac Desert Cadillac Desert: The American West and Its Disappearing Water, Revised Edition: Marc Reisner: 9780140178241: Amazon.com: Books
Very interesting historical aspect of water and it's impact on the land west of the Mississippi.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
California basically owns the water rights (Colorado River) coming out of Colorado's western slope. Ask the people of Colorado how they feel about cutting back on their own needs to allow downstream states like New Mexico, Arizona, and California to use it as they see fit and perhaps waste alot. It's a war on water and their blood boils.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #46
Site Team

My folks lived outside of Phoenix, AZ in the 1980s... there were canals everywhere diverting the Colorado River to AZ even then... Anyone want Oregon water? A dollar a gallon, as is, where is! Otherwise we'll dump it into the Pacific....
Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #47

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
BC is selling "spring" water from Hope, BC ( "live in Hope, die in despair" ) for about a nickle for 20,000 liters ( I'm just making the details up, but I'm close ). Nestle bottles it in plastic and sells it to suckers everywhere.
It's our own fault.

Under the new rules, large-scale users that have been able to use water without limits and without cost will now face annual fees and pay 85 cents for every 1,000 cubic metres of groundwater used.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #48
Site Team

Don't despair... I'm charged more to get rid of water (ground/roof run off) than it costs me to use it.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #49

Donna from my travels it looks like the eastern side of Oregon could use a lot more water. Maybe a big mountain tunnel with canals going east?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The California water wars are an example of diversion of the Colorado River for LA growth as illustrated in the movie "ChinaTown". A more current reading is http://www.amazon.com/Dam-Nation-Sha.../dp/0762787627 and Cadillac Desert Cadillac Desert: The American West and Its Disappearing Water, Revised Edition: Marc Reisner: 9780140178241: Amazon.com: Books
Very interesting historical aspect of water and it's impact on the land west of the Mississippi.
Err- that's the Owens River/Owens Valley in the Eastern Sierra in CA that Mulholland & Metropolitan Water District diverted.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #51
Site Team

David, we're hot here. Hit somewhere in the low 90s today. Most don't have home A/C units (I don't), lets tilt the earth and get the run-off water where it needs to go! Somehow doesn't seem fair some folks are flooding and others (not that many miles away) are in a drought....

Terrorists don't need to build bombs, they just need to figure out a way to control the weather....
Old 08-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Donna from my travels it looks like the eastern side of Oregon could use a lot more water. Maybe a big mountain tunnel with canals going east?
That idea is not that far fetched. People are using dew and rainwater to water their plants in areas that have water restrictions. We've learned how to turn water into electricity for our benefit, I'm sure we can divert excess water to areas that are in need. Is there a plumber in the house?

If you can dream it, you can do it
walloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The damming and diversion of the Colorado is a sore subject with many folks. It doesn't even reach the Sea of Cortez anymore, petering out in a mud flat several miles short. There's plenty of water on this planet-- just not always where the high concentration of people are. We think we can solve all of this with engineering, and we usually can, but not without consequences.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
David, I posted this because it is pretty crazy sometimes seeing what is being offered for camping. Your ranting about wasteful campers is amusing because it is all a matter of perspective. A backpacker who carries their camping gear on their back may say you are very extravagant with your 5.0 Fifth Wheel rig pulled by a 3/4 Ton V-8 Truck. "Extravagant" is a matter of perspective. This is all in fun.
This is me. I literally spent 1/3 of my late teens to mid 20's in the backcountry. I only worked enough to make some scratch to afford to head back out again, summer or winter. We never looked at forecasts, just went. I used to call RVers Gorby's, and scoff at them, saying "They call that camping?"

Well, my tune has changed a bit, BUT I still enjoy hiking, canoeing and backcountry skiing, for multiple days. Went on a short weekend backpacking trip a few weeks ago, and will be doing a 5 day canoe trip next month. Yes, there are lots of young folk out there, BUT there are tons of folks my age (57), and many well older.

I bought a tent trailer to get my young children out into the wilderness, mostly boondocking with them, or camping at forestry sites. Once they were old enough, they came with up backpacking and canoeing, and still do now that they are adults.

Of course I prefer the new fantastic bed in my trailer, but I would trade it in in a heartbeat to sleep on my down air mattress in the backcountry. I still do believe that this is the ultimate in camping, and my frame of mind most definitely agrees. In our canoe club, I am considered a youngster, with many in their 60s and 70s canoeing and sleeping in tents.

Oh yeah, and I still love mountain biking. I still go on the hard technical single tracks mostly, though am a bit more cautious when blasting downhill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
The only thing that really bugs me is when someone cuts through my campsite and doesn't pour me a glass of wine.
You gotsta know that would certainly not be me. Meeting people and sharing (stories and wine), is a good part of our RVing, and the reason we prefer to spend all of our time outside the trailer during the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksAlot View Post
Any kind of hot tub needs chlorine, additional chemicals and testing equipment to ensure the water is safe to immerse yourself in. Just using 250 gallons of untreated water can get you seriously sick.
Heavens no, we have set up portable hot tubs lots in the past, some while camping. Maybe if they were being set up for weeks. We just get a bucket brigade going to the river to fill it up, add the heat, and partake in some spirits, and sit back and enjoy. I am definitely not in Dave's camp in scorning hot tubs while camping.

I do believe that we should be responsible though, like in areas with water shortages, but to outright shed hatred on the idea, is out of line.

I also agree with more of a user pay system, where there is a smaller base camping fee, and additional fees for electricity and water (if not abundant).

ANYWAY, back to the original post. Cool find Steve, thanks for sharing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #55

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Water flows downhill, and BC, Washington and Oregon have lots, so what's California's problem?
Campers with hot tubs!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #56

I once lived and worked on the Colorado front range where average rain fall is 7" with 17% humidity & growth/developement and domestic water use that was going straight up. We had some years of drought where we caught water in buckets waiting for the shower to warm up just keep a few meager trees and plants alive. The water district would demand water restrictions and then raise rates to keep revenue coming in. Catching any rain off the gutters was illegal, and when it got real bad for us we illegally used water straight from the wash machine to keep stuff just alive. Washing a vehicle or watering grass was prohibited. And the hills were burning. The rich would buy farm land just for the water rights. Go through that and you too might have a different stand.

I am not opposed to hot tubs. I don't expect anyone to be in my camp. What I am opposed to is wasting water foolishly that is in short supply area. And using more water and power in a campground than a basic camp fee can cover. That eventually effects everyone and what they pay to camp. Remember California's power shortage a few years back and the night time satellite photos of CA's west coast?

I hope the west and southwest as well as parts of Texas comes out of a drought soon. But until it does, do not take anyones water for granted.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #57

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
"Catching any rain off the gutters was illegal..."

Why would that be illegal?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
"Catching any rain off the gutters was illegal..."

Why would that be illegal?
Has to do with antiquated water rights laws in Colorado. They've since been partially rescinded:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/29/us/29rain.html?_r=0
Old 08-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yes, people who have always had all of the water they need cannot relate to a place with water shortages. One part of a country can be so different from another.

It also is irksome that we pay the same at campgrounds as those running ten times the electricity and water. It seems that we are subsidizing them. At least in a monthly or seasonal set-up, meters are often used.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Has to do with antiquated water rights laws in Colorado.
That's a sore point for sure. I'm not allowed to keep the rain that falls on my property but at the same time I am taxed on the square footage of impermeable surface (roof shingles, concrete, etc).

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote