Add pop ups - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2018, 09:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Add pop ups

I don’t know who vets the adds on this site
But I got a fake Amazon pop up claims I’ve won this or that while browsing posts on hitching and towing sub forums. As a retired IT pro I am more or less immune from Social Engineering scams.
This is happening on an iPhone that at least is somewhat secure from malware.
Me I’d be willing to pay a small yearly fee to “escape’ the intrusive ads and assault on privacy and tracking

Any thoughts ?
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I get them too and have to close then reopen the site. Annoying.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I get them too and have to close then reopen the site. Annoying.
Me too ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I never get any pop-ups, but I also installed a free pop-up blocker. Easy peasy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Those who are accessing the site via iPhone: is it with Safari app or Tapatalk?

I don't get pop up ads on my computer, but am not sure about my phone (I don't use the phone much for browsing this site).
Old 01-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I just use Adblock Plus (on a Windows PC, in Chrome) and have no issues. I do realize that website operators hate Adblock because it denies them advertising income; however, when ads became so unnecessarily intrusive that it became a functionality issue, I started blocking. I unblock ("whitelist") sites when they request it if their ads are reasonable; I don't consider auto-playing video ads which take longer than the real page content to load and make the page difficult to navigate to be reasonable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I do realize that website operators hate Adblock because it denies them advertising income; however, when ads became so unnecessarily intrusive that it became a functionality issue, I started blocking.
Yes, like when the ads appear in every single post in a thread. I had some connectivity and posting issues with the Escape Forum a few days ago. I tested whether or not it was Chrome that had the problem by using IE, a browser I don't have Ad Block installed on. Sheesh. The site was nothing but ads.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Some sites now check whether you are using an ad blocker and if you don't turn it off for that site, they may block your access to it. For those sites, I keep my ad blocker on and never visit the site again.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Some sites now check whether you are using an ad blocker and if you don't turn it off for that site, they may block your access to it. For those sites, I keep my ad blocker on and never visit the site again.
I agree, you might say I black list them.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:06 PM   #10
Site Team

At least the ads are occuring on a forum that's free to join and free to use. The ads I truly despise are the ones where you've already paid to be there - like in a movie theater. I'm not talking about an ad for the snack bar or trailers of upcoming attractions, but other commercial ads. Talk about a "captive audience". I thought that's what the ticket price was for.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The ads I truly despise are the ones where you've already paid to be there - like in a movie theater. I'm not talking about an ad for the snack bar or trailers of upcoming attractions, but other commercial ads. Talk about a "captive audience". I thought that's what the ticket price was for.
Like the ads in a magazine or newspaper, for which you paid? Advertising and ticket or publication sales are two income sources; sometimes one is enough, but sometimes even both of them are not enough to stay in business.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Like the ads in a magazine or newspaper, for which you paid? Advertising and ticket or publication sales are two income sources; sometimes one is enough, but sometimes even both of them are not enough to stay in business.
True, but perhaps it's what you're used to. I grew up going to the movies almost every weekend, and my grandfather was a projectionist, which meant I could usually sneak in without paying or just watch the movie from one of the portals in the projection booth. I don't recall ever seeing ads back then, unless it was a Sprite or Milk Duds commercial.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Exactly what I do. Leave and never return.
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
True, but perhaps it's what you're used to. I grew up going to the movies almost every weekend, and my grandfather was a projectionist, which meant I could usually sneak in without paying or just watch the movie from one of the portals in the projection booth. I don't recall ever seeing ads back then, unless it was a Sprite or Milk Duds commercial.
You've forgotten the great Cable TV con game. Cable TV when it was rolled out was supposed to be ad free vs the free TV antenna on every home. That was the basis as to why one would switch to Cable TV and pay for it. What happened??
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
You've forgotten the great Cable TV con game. Cable TV when it was rolled out was supposed to be ad free vs the free TV antenna on every home. That was the basis as to why one would switch to Cable TV and pay for it. What happened??
Haven't forgotten, Greg. It's just falls into the category of "can't do a dang thing about it". Paying through the nose for the privilege of getting advertised to. Delightful! At least this site is still free.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Haven't forgotten, Greg. It's just falls into the category of "can't do a dang thing about it". Paying through the nose for the privilege of getting advertised to. Delightful! At least this site is still free.
I hear ya.
We actually did do something about it 9 years ago. We got rid of the Cable company and went back to free over the air TV with an antenna on our house and receive true HD broadcasts. When we first hooked it up we got 38 channels and now we get close to 100. Of course, there is a streaming system added to each TV set in the house for the Internet Entertainment options as well. I figure we've pocketed close to $14-15000 bucks since cutting the cord.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I hear ya.
We actually did do something about it 9 years ago. We got rid of the Cable company and went back to free over the air TV with an antenna on our house and receive true HD broadcasts. When we first hooked it up we got 38 channels and now we get close to 100. Of course, there is a streaming system added to each TV set in the house for the Internet Entertainment options as well. I figure we've pocketed close to $14-15000 bucks since cutting the cord.
Greg we did the same and are pocketing lots of cash . We do also have Roku . Interesting we get lots of cable shows just later . No problem we can wait . If you have Amazon prime included are lots of movies show's too. We are now going through 8 seasons of "curb your enthusiasm " so glad to dump sat. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote