Bikes and rear receiver weight - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2023, 06:08 AM   #21

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The ball mount is affectionately... or painfully called a "stinger," because it really STINGS when you bark your shin on it. The "stinger" lock goes through the slot (or hole) to lock the ball mount to the hitch.

Aah! Having experienced the sting I now completely understand! Thank you!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
Fender - 31lb e-bike, by any chance is that the LeMond? Or something else? We’ve been casually looking for a light e-bike. I’d love to hear what you’re getting and later, how you like it.
I've ordered a Trek Domane+ AL. Although not cheap they are the least expensive ebike in the Trek lineup.
I know a couple of avid cyclists who purchased Domanes and love them. Like me they had been reluctant to make the switch to an ebike but have since discovered that they bike more often and take challenging routes that they may previously have stayed away from.
One feature that they like that apparently is unique to Trek (not sure if that is the case) is the handle bar mounted controls that allow you to turn assist on/off and switch levels without taking your hands off the bars.
Another factor for me is the ability to run tire sizes up to 38 mm (my bike shop says that Trek typically leaves wiggle room and he thinks the bike will handle 40 mm tires easily). I ride more light gravel than pavement so plan on swapping the road tires out for tubeless 38 - 40 mm.
I'm hopeful to have the bike within the next week or two so will certainly keep you posted!
Old 05-26-2023, 12:54 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 21C, 2021 Model Year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
For purposes of the OP's query, I don't think the issue is necessarily total weight behind the axle (which affects the hitch weight and how the trailer handles). The issue in this situation is the total weight carried by the rear receiver (rated at 150 lbs); the spare tire is supported by the bumper, not the rear receiver.

I've thought about using a carrier for my 55 lb ebike, and I have plenty of leeway as far as hitch weight is concerned, but unless I also employed a good cover I would be worried about water and dust intrusion in the electronics; imagine spraying an ebike with elements at 60 mph force for hours at a time... For now I have room in the back of my SUV.
Hi, you are correct that the issue has to do with the actual durability of the rear receiver with close to 150lbs. I know I can remove the bike batteries to reduce weight and that my be the best thing for now along with taking some steps to stabilize the whip/up/down. As far as exposure to the elements. If rain, etc is expected we wrap our battery compartments in plastic wrap and tape. On a recent trip to CA we had torrential rains for hours and the bikes have had no problems.
TomEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:05 AM   #24

Trailer: looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEscape View Post
Hi, I have a 2021, 21C. The receiver on the rear of the camper states not to exceed 150lbs. I have a 1UP (2bike) rack and two e-bikes. The 1Up weighs about 50lbs and each bike weighs about 50lbs so in total I am right at 150lbs. I have the rear camera so I am able to see the movement of the rack with bikes and there is quite a bit of up/down. Does anyone have any experience regarding long term use of the rear receiver while carrying bikes? Does it really hold up over time? Has anyone made a modification to increase the carrying capacity?

I am very familiar with tongue weight, sway, etc so I understand I need to set all that up with the added weight. I just want to know about real world durability of that receiver while close to the max 150lbs or suggestions on how you add extra stability.

Thanks!
After having our 2008 17B rear trailer hitch inspected in 2020 by a welding expert we were assured that there would be no issues with our Swagman E-Bike carrier and our 2 RAD E-bikes at 80 lbs each on the rear of our trailer. We have since travelled across Canada twice (both in spring and fall 8,000 km each trip) with these bikes on the back, through rain, sleet and snow, without issue. We used the Swagman bike cover as protection. In 2022 we upgraded to the QuikrStuff bike rack, similar to 1UPUSA, and now we have a ramp to ease the heavy lift. Overall, it has been excellent with one trip under our belt with the new QuikrStuff bike rack on the back of our trailer. My advice is to have an expert welder, familiar with trailers and RVs inspect your hitch to your satisfaction. Our inspection assured us of the strength of our hitch. Oh yes, we did remove the E-bike batteries for travel (-10 lbs each) but we were still well over a 150 pound load.
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:31 AM   #25

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
I've ordered a Trek Domane+ AL. Although not cheap they are the least expensive ebike in the Trek lineup.
I know a couple of avid cyclists who purchased Domanes and love them. Like me they had been reluctant to make the switch to an ebike but have since discovered that they bike more often and take challenging routes that they may previously have stayed away from.
One feature that they like that apparently is unique to Trek (not sure if that is the case) is the handle bar mounted controls that allow you to turn assist on/off and switch levels without taking your hands off the bars.
Another factor for me is the ability to run tire sizes up to 38 mm (my bike shop says that Trek typically leaves wiggle room and he thinks the bike will handle 40 mm tires easily). I ride more light gravel than pavement so plan on swapping the road tires out for tubeless 38 - 40 mm.
I'm hopeful to have the bike within the next week or two so will certainly keep you posted!
I think you’re going to love that bike. A riding partner of mine has one of the carbon versions of that, it’s a great bike!
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:44 PM   #26

Trailer: None
There are a lot of rubbish Chinese-made hitch tighteners for sale, and they do fail so go with American-made. I bought this one recently and it works a treat: https://www.amazon.com/Tightener-Com.../dp/B09H7TKY3F . It can be installed with the nuts facing either up or down. With the nuts up it pulls the rack up in the receiver, against the pin or stinger lock, so is more level in my case (on an SUV). No doubt there are other U.S. made clamps of similar quality but this is the one I found and it is built very solid.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I think you’re going to love that bike. A riding partner of mine has one of the carbon versions of that, it’s a great bike!
Just picked it up an hour ago! Might get out for a short ride this evening.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:56 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:

"Jens Voigt has been relaxing in his retirement, but he still wants to enjoy a ride with the boys. Enter Domane+, a pedal assist e-bike that gives Jens a little more fun."

Ultimately the truth of aging is coming for all of us...
Old 05-31-2023, 11:03 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
I modified my C21. I had two additional 2inch receivers welded to the rear end, almost identical to the factory receiver. They are located approx 18 inches to the outside of the center. Then I had two “L” shaped supports fabricated. They slide into the outrigger receivers, and lock with a traditional receiver pin. These two support arms come up underneath the 1Up super duty rack. The result is that the rack cannot twist side to side. There is a a little bit of distributing the total weight across the full width of the rear end. and it relieves the factory receiver of having to handle the full weight and twisting forces. I have the 1Up rack at maybe 50 lbs, two RAD Power e-ebikes at maybe 66 Lbs each. So far, no issues and bikes remain far more steady
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:16 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA/2022 Ram Hemi
Could you post some pics of your modification setup? I have the 1 Up and two RADs that have more vertical bounce than horizontal. The handle bar left a mark on the rear window on one trip even though the hitch was tight in the receiver.
waltkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:43 AM   #31

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltkaren View Post
Could you post some pics of your modification setup? I have the 1 Up and two RADs that have more vertical bounce than horizontal. The handle bar left a mark on the rear window on one trip even though the hitch was tight in the receiver.
I would also like to see a picture.

Walt, I turn my handle bars 90° to keep the handlebar off the window. At one time I placed a block of foam between the spare tire and bike frame to keep the handlebar off the window. The bike cover doesn't fit correctly with the handlebar turned but I do it anyway.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:02 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA/2022 Ram Hemi
Hey Bob
I did see that solution a while ago, just haven't gone that route just yet. I did devise a setup that extended the spare mount bracket up and added a brace to the first bike, then another to the second bike. It has worked but causes a lot of chafing on the bikes. Always looking for better ideas and upgrades.
BTW the spare is mounted under the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
20230601_104633.jpg   20230601_104712.jpg  
waltkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:14 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltkaren View Post
I did devise a setup that extended the spare mount bracket up and added a brace to the first bike, then another to the second bike.
Walt
I like the brace idea. I will look into doing that instead of turning the handlebar.
Bob
Old 06-01-2023, 02:12 PM   #34

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
"Jens Voigt has been relaxing in his retirement, but he still wants to enjoy a ride with the boys. Enter Domane+, a pedal assist e-bike that gives Jens a little more fun."

Ultimately the truth of aging is coming for all of us...
E-bikes are a touchy subject for me. I'm still not ready to even remotely entertain the thought of owning something that provides "assistance". However, I reluctantly admit that it's becoming more challenging each year to remain in top cycling form. I have a feeling that my opinion on something like the Domane+ might change in a few more years........

One of the reasons I decided on a bumper-pull Escape rather than the 5.0 was so I could keep the bikes safely tucked away under the canopy of my truck when travelling.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:32 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
As soon as I wrote my post, I knew there would be a request for photos, but I didn’t have any. So, I went out to storage and took some photos.

1-Up Super duty 2-bike rack, with fat tire add-on, Escape C21 rear end modified with two additional 2-inch receivers and support arms, to help distribute the load and forces, and specifically, reduce the twisting force on the single factory receiver. Total weight exceeds Escape factory rating of 150. Probably close to 180 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2963.jpg   IMG_2962.jpg   IMG_4919.jpg   IMG_4918.jpg  
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:08 PM   #36

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
There are a lot of rubbish Chinese-made hitch tighteners for sale, and they do fail so go with American-made. I bought this one recently and it works a treat: https://www.amazon.com/Tightener-Com.../dp/B09H7TKY3F . It can be installed with the nuts facing either up or down. With the nuts up it pulls the rack up in the receiver, against the pin or stinger lock, so is more level in my case (on an SUV). No doubt there are other U.S. made clamps of similar quality but this is the one I found and it is built very solid.
Thanks for the link. I actually need one for my boat hitch and just ordered.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
E-bikes are a touchy subject for me. I'm still not ready to even remotely entertain the thought of owning something that provides "assistance". However, I reluctantly admit that it's becoming more challenging each year to remain in top cycling form. I have a feeling that my opinion on something like the Domane+ might change in a few more years........

One of the reasons I decided on a bumper-pull Escape rather than the 5.0 was so I could keep the bikes safely tucked away under the canopy of my truck when travelling.
Selkirk, I understand completely. I too had been resistant, thinking that I may let myself rely too much on the assistance.
After doing some research however it appeared as if people tended to ride more often, longer distances and take routes that are more challenging.
Last night I did a ride that in the past I would have avoided because of one long and very steep hill. The only time I turned on assistance during the route was about 25% of the way up the steep hill. I used only level 1 and at the top I was still huffing and puffing and my heart rate perfectly in my target zone.
Though I am still in the honeymoon phase I'm questioning why I didn't do this sooner!
Attached Thumbnails
CB88CC67-3155-4805-A6D2-868667CD7DDB.jpg  
Old 06-02-2023, 09:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
As soon as I wrote my post, I knew there would be a request for photos, but I didn’t have any. So, I went out to storage and took some photos.
Jeff, thank you for the pictures. I did a double take on the chain lock. That is the same chain lock I use. It is heavy.

Bob
Old 06-02-2023, 12:25 PM   #39

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Selkirk, I understand completely. I too had been resistant, thinking that I may let myself rely too much on the assistance.
After doing some research however it appeared as if people tended to ride more often, longer distances and take routes that are more challenging.
Last night I did a ride that in the past I would have avoided because of one long and very steep hill. The only time I turned on assistance during the route was about 25% of the way up the steep hill. I used only level 1 and at the top I was still huffing and puffing and my heart rate perfectly in my target zone.
Though I am still in the honeymoon phase I'm questioning why I didn't do this sooner!
Your new Trek does look purdy.....I'm sure you'll have some fun with it!

I was on a cycling trip in Mexico recently, where the tour guide was riding a Domane+ . He commented that the level 1 assist basically just offset the added weight compared to the non-E version.

This is my daily-driver, currently set up for gravel riding. Two of my favorite acquisitions in one photo....both manufactured in British Columbia.
Attached Thumbnails
Naked-2023.jpg  
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 12:55 PM   #40

Trailer: 2012 E19
Yep, I ride my ebike up hills I would not attempt with the trad bike. I pedal more than twice as far on most rides now.