Cabinet Hinges - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2022, 02:14 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: chugiak, Alaska
Trailer: Escape Trailer 21NE 2022
Posts: 97
Cabinet Hinges

A couple of the cabinet hinges in the kitchen failed when driving the AlCan back to Alaska. Does anyone have a link or model description and number for replacing them? thanks in advance
__________________

chesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:23 PM   #2
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Posts: 26,126
Contact the factory for hinges specific to your trailer .....which is not shown. You may get more accurate answers if you update your avatar.....?
__________________

__________________
Jim
Sometime life gets in the way of living.......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:57 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Ron in BC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 7,584
I broke a hinge in Baja. Went to the local hardware store and bought one that fit.

Since then I went to Home Depot and bought some spares.

Take one to a hardware store that's near you and you'll likely find one.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 03:22 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Naples, New York
Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Posts: 1,094
I needed new bathroom door hinges Mine where broken at pickup. ETI sent me to https://www.richelieu.com/us/en/


I look over there and see what might match up.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 03:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Upfisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Yarnell, Arizona
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 516
Send a message via Skype™ to Upfisk
We have both broken hinges and lost hinge pins. Dave in the Escape Service Dept brought us replacements to the 2018 Osoyoos Rally. We found the Home Depot hinges are slightly different. But thanks to Dave we have several spares now. Recently we broke another hinge, installed a new one, and saved the old as it can be hard to find hinge pins when they come out when traveling lumpy roads. We often begin a trip with seating every pin, bought a tack hammer just for that purpose.
__________________
Myrl and Gary
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
UncleTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Posts: 1,352
I like the ones sold at Home Depot. I am slowly changing mine out.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:12 PM   #7
MVA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Mexico, New Mexico
Trailer: 2017 E19
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Contact the factory for hinges specific to your trailer .....which is not shown. You may get more accurate answers if you update your avatar.....?
Correct Jim :-). I ordered a new door from ETI and some hinges to mount it. While satisfactory, the more recent hinges are clearly different than the stock ones on our 2017.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:06 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19b
Posts: 35
Cracked and broken hinges

My hinge woes started on the trip into Chaco Canyon and have continued with the roads in New Brunswick.

Now they aren't just loosening off, they are actually breaking with the bouncing up and down.

I am going to change them all out with something stronger, any suggestions please? Someone mentioned a hinge from Home Depot but didn't mention any specifics.

Thanks for the input.

J
JulietF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 01:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Ron in BC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 7,584
I'm not sure that you'll find stronger that fit the existing holes or match the other hinges.

These are the ones that were mentioned in previous posts. To put it in perspective, I've broken a total of 3, despite the rough roads of Alaska and Baja etc. and all 3 were on the 19.

The first problem, loosening screw hinges, is caused by small diameter screws into porous poor holding pine. On my 19 it was the left door under the sink that twice cracked hinges. I replaced the screws with a small diameter machine screws and that ended the problem.

The biggest contributor to broken hinges is the door swinging open and then being subjected to bumps. A hinge breaker for sure. We used to bungee handles when heading off on rough roads but my wife saw, maybe in an RV magazine, clips that just drop on the handles. So I made some, quick and easy and so much easier than bungee cords.

The door over the closet drooped slightly from the get go. Then I installed a mirror on the rear, very handy, but would certainly not be good for the hinges on rough roads. So I added a bracket on the bottom that does two things. It lifts the door into the level position and carries the weight of the mirror to save the hinges.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0005_resize.jpg   IMGP0004_resize.jpg   IMGP0006_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:17 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19b
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm not sure that you'll find stronger that fit the existing holes or match the other hinges.

These are the ones that were mentioned in previous posts. To put it in perspective, I've broken a total of 3, despite the rough roads of Alaska and Baja etc. and all 3 were on the 19.

The first problem, loosening screw hinges, is caused by small diameter screws into porous poor holding pine. On my 19 it was the left door under the sink that twice cracked hinges. I replaced the screws with a small diameter machine screws and that ended the problem.

The biggest contributor to broken hinges is the door swinging open and then being subjected to bumps. A hinge breaker for sure. We used to bungee handles when heading off on rough roads but my wife saw, maybe in an RV magazine, clips that just drop on the handles. So I made some, quick and easy and so much easier than bungee cords.

The door over the closet drooped slightly from the get go. Then I installed a mirror on the rear, very handy, but would certainly not be good for the hinges on rough roads. So I added a bracket on the bottom that does two things. It lifts the door into the level position and carries the weight of the mirror to save the hinges.

Ron
Thank you Ron,

I too have a 19 and you described my problems exactly. I will do exactly what you did to fix the problem.

On this last run, I found a ball cap on the ground that was in the hanging locker, so I started to picture doors swinging open and closing. Not good.

Thanks for your help.

Julie
JulietF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:24 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2019 Expedition
Posts: 4,962
Our 21 is 8 years old next month. What I've encountered living near the coast is corrosion and they break right at the hinge. First bought these a couple of years ago for one door under the sink and had the smaller one below that break recently. Have been proactively replacing those I can see some rust on.
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-H...80&sr=8-3&th=1
__________________
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:28 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19b
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Our 21 is 8 years old next month. What I've encountered living near the coast is corrosion and they break right at the hinge. First bought these a couple of years ago for one door under the sink and had the smaller one below that break recently. Have been proactively replacing those I can see some rust on.
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-H...80&sr=8-3&th=1
Thank you Rossue,

I have ordered two packages of them.

J
__________________

JulietF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×