Classified Moderation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Classified Moderation

While I didn't see the details in the community rules I was always under the understanding (rightly or wrongly) comments were not to be made on price. This seems perfectly reasonable to me but it seems like in practice only the negative comments to price are removed. In a recent thread for an Escape there were a couple of comments along the lines of it being a steep price or something to that effect. Those were removed, however the comment stating it is a good deal or a great trailer for someone is allowed to stay. Even when not directly commenting on price comments like "options add up" which is absolutely true and does provide value but could also be taken as implying that the price is reasonable based on options.

All owners benefit from a robust resale market and high resale value. But this forum is valued for honest personal experience and opinions and I believe that should either be included in the classified area or more likely completely eliminated from them. The forum shouldn't be skewing the fair market price in either direction and by selectively allowing comments it can.

I realize this is a a private for profit forum and the owner can set whatever rules they deem, but I cringe at the idea of a soon to be owner overpaying for an Escape based on trusting a comment they see in the for sale thread. And yes I understand fair market is whatever someone else is willing to pay, but I would add that would include when the buyer has either all the info or not one sided info.

Just my opinion and YMMV and off my soap box.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Old 07-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Red face

Only positive happy comments
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I'm a moderator on another forum. If the negative comment is debatable we remove it. If the comment points out that the item is vastly over priced and a ripoff we leave the comment in place. Any one of the moderator can remove the post and we all honor their decision, however I've never seen a ripoff be removed.

We also remove trolls who don't own what the form is for, something that is not done here.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
What I would prefer is if no ONE commented in an ad unless you are interested in buying. It's really none of our business to tell a seller what their trailer is worth, nor to tell a buyer if it's a good or bad deal. In both cases "due diligence" needs to be done. In some cases an ad turns into General Chat and the focus for the seller gets lost.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

We also remove trolls who don't own what the form is for, something that is not done here.

Enjoy,

Perry

Now here’s a novel idea
Old 07-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #7

I expect part of the due diligence is reading the comments on a particular trailer.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
What a fine idea!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
What I would prefer is if no ONE commented in an ad unless you are interested in buying. It's really none of our business to tell a seller what their trailer is worth, nor to tell a buyer if it's a good or bad deal. In both cases "due diligence" needs to be done. In some cases an ad turns into General Chat and the focus for the seller gets lost.
Absolutely and at the end of the day it's a private sale between two people and really doesn't have to be a lot of other people's business, in addition to the focus of the post going off track.

It's unfortunate that new members with low posts can't PM the seller and keep the sale a private matter without other chatter or unasked for comments either positive or negative.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's unfortunate that new members with low posts can't PM the seller and keep the sale a private matter without other chatter or unasked for comments either positive or negative.

Ron
New members can PM Ron. What they can't do is put a link in the PM, nor post to a thread with a link. For instance, no email addresses, unless it's written as text 'myemail at gmail dot com.'
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #11

Quote:
New members can PM Ron. What they can't do is put a link in the PM, nor post to a thread with a link. For instance, no email addresses, unless it's written as text 'myemail at gmail dot com.'

The problem is, they don't know that.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The problem is, they don't know that.
I wonder if a template for the ad with that info would help. Still has to be read but it may help.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Mike,
Since we are here to help the members as well as keep things in some sort of order, I look at it this way, a too high a price comment is a negative comment and can hurt the seller, whereas an option comment or something positive said helps the seller. That is what we try to do, help the members, not hurt them. In addition, let us remember that moderator actions should be discussed via p/m, not in the open forum, so if there is any post in particular, please send a p/m.Thank you....
Old 07-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
I'm a moderator on another forum. If the negative comment is debatable we remove it. If the comment points out that the item is vastly over priced and a ripoff we leave the comment in place. Any one of the moderator can remove the post and we all honor their decision, however I've never seen a ripoff be removed.

Enjoy,

Perry
And exactly how do you determine who owns for example an Escape trailer?

I know this sounds like a great idea for some of the superfans yet many of us do appreciate the diversity of opinions from those who don't own an Escape.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #15

I don't recall any requirement that members own an Escape to participate in the forum.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Mike,
Since we are here to help the members as well as keep things in some sort of order, I look at it this way, a too high a price comment is a negative comment and can hurt the seller, whereas an option comment or something positive said helps the seller. That is what we try to do, help the members, not hurt them. In addition, let us remember that moderator actions should be discussed via p/m, not in the open forum, so if there is any post in particular, please send a p/m.Thank you....
Well put Jim,
I for one appreciate the job the moderators do and when I occasionally get corrected I try to take it as constructive moderation. When we bought our first Escape, positive comments from those who had just recently seen this unit at a rally gave us the confidence to put
Down a deposit on the 19, sight unseen. It was all the owner said it was and more.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That and pilot Az Jack's list by the door.....
Old 07-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't recall any requirement that members own an Escape to participate in the forum.
As I said "for example" in reference to the quote from another stating on her forum they required members to own the product("who don't own what the form is for").
Old 07-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
One of the main benefits of the forum is to folks who do not own an Escape. I was a member for 6 years before I bought one.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Mike,
I guess that confirms my fear/suspicion, that the forum is run to help the seller (and potential former member of the forum as they are selling and not all sellers buy another Escape) at the possible expense of the buyer and new owner and potential forum member. It seems one sided to me and its not like every seller is some longtime forum member and every buyer is a non member so it doesn't really make sense to me.

I don't have an axe to grind with the forum or ETI. I'm a new owner (I've fully paid not taken delivery) and I bought new directly from Escape so my next transaction would be as a seller and this policy would be in my favor (and not against me since I bought new) so I'm not just thinking of what would be best for me I'm sharing what I think would be better. As I said in the initial post it would be a real shame IMO for somebody to greatly overpay because the forum tilted the discussion in one direction. It would be better to not allow any commentary IMO.

I don't make the rules but I assumed the existence of a suggestion box forum implied the desire of suggestions which is why I offered it and I feel I received my answer which I do appreciate.