Current weather - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2023, 05:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 21
Current weather

I hope all of our members that are in the path of the tornados that are ongoing are taking proper measures to stay safe. Several states are in the paths of the front that is creating these storms. Please everyone watch the weather and stay safe
Old 03-31-2023, 07:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Eastern Iowa

We had some tornado activity, high winds and some rain in the eastern half of Iowa this afternoon. There was a good warning but the fronts were moving pretty quickly so areas did not take a continued pounding. There does not seem to be any personal injuries from what the local news indicates. At our place we were in a pocket and only got about a quarter inch of rain and maybe a forty mile an hour wind.
My daughter got more rain and wind south of us near Iowa City. She got big hail too.
We raised her to be positive in every situation. She’s had some challenges in her life but her resilience and sense of humor is in the forefront at all times.
Two pictures from my oldest today
Lemon sized hail stone in her hand picked up in her yard and a minute later it’s cooling a lemonade. Hmmmm she does like good bourbon and it is Friday afternoon, not sure that it’s lemonade. Could well be Bulleit.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
4B501A66-782C-4674-9E88-437043D56084a.jpg   D6CEFC95-7434-4716-9081-16AE89D51AAFa.jpg  
Old 04-01-2023, 02:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
My daughter got more rain and wind south of us near Iowa City. She got big hail too.
We raised her to be positive in every situation. She’s had some challenges in her life but her resilience and sense of humor is in the forefront at all times.
Lemon sized hail stone in her hand picked up in her yard and a minute later it’s cooling a lemonade. Hmmmm she does like good bourbon and it is Friday afternoon, not sure that it’s lemonade. Could well be Bulleit.
Iowa Dave
Wow, that’s some impressive (and scary) “ice sphere” hail! Sure hope they didn’t get too much damage from that size hail. Glad to see your daughter put it to good use, though. That’s a brilliant way to make “lemonade” out lemons, haha.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:50 PM   #4

Most hailstones were quarter sized or smaller in her yard.
There were only a few big ones.
We were in the area where there was some damage
Today looking around and checking out favorite campground that only had minimal damage. There were some roofs damaged In Solon iowa including the good hardware store there. All in all not as bad as it could have been.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-01-2023, 04:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
We had some tornado activity, high winds and some rain in the eastern half of Iowa this afternoon. There was a good warning but the fronts were moving pretty quickly so areas did not take a continued pounding. There does not seem to be any personal injuries from what the local news indicates. At our place we were in a pocket and only got about a quarter inch of rain and maybe a forty mile an hour wind.
Iowa Dave
The Solon Hardware lost a good bit of its roof as well as other structures.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:05 PM   #6

I was in the basement watching the live weather feed on the local station. They had a camera panning the town of Solon as heavy weather approached. Just by chance when the camera got around to the hardware store and Mexican Restaurant, the roof started to tear loose and they caught it all on camera. The streets were all clean and people were out raking and cleaning up about 2 pm when we came through there this afternoon. Some areas to the south in Iowa got considerably more damage.

Talk about damage, how about those iowa Hawkeye girls basketball players. They are damaging the record books for sure.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-01-2023, 06:36 PM   #7

I hope the hardware survives. Delores and Caroline are up there and Caroline’s son is no spring chicken. My film making parter lives in Solon and was the force behind our film about the Hardware
Old 04-01-2023, 10:26 PM   #8

Hopefully they have adequate insurance for a new roof. I think it looked like a “torch down” or maybe a Derbigum brand roof in the video. T and K in Ely is only a few miles away and they did a lot of work for me back in the day. Good old time hardware stores are important, I wish more people understood that.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-01-2023, 11:22 PM   #9

I hope so. There's a few small hardware stores left in my neighborhood, not many though.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:42 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I hope so. There's a few small hardware stores left in my neighborhood, not many though.
Hi: oldwave... Here I thought Ace was the place!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:38 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Casita
Quote:
Talk about damage, how about those iowa Hawkeye girls basketball players. They are damaging the record books for sure.
Iowa Dave
Great game, Friday. Caitlin Clark is beyond fantastic to watch. I find the fact that she stayed in her home state to play a great statement of her character, also.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:10 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember attending Parsons College in the 60's when storms tore through Keokuk, Iowa. We went down to help clean up back then....
Old 04-02-2023, 08:20 AM   #13

We’ve had fun watching women’s basketball since the six on six team days. I went to school with the grandfather of the Joens girls who have made quite a name for themselves at Iowa State University too. If you read up on Caitlin Clark you’ll note that she played several years with the Joens girls in amateur ball. However things pan out, we are proud of Caitlin. And she can play two more years. She’s a junior and has a Covid year too.

If you come out to iowa and stop by we will head for Joensy’s for a big pork Tenderloin then to the nearby cardiologist. After recovering we will head for Baxa’s Sutliff store and Tavern for another loin and do it again.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-02-2023, 11:37 AM   #14

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Smile

Quote:
Iowa Dave
Caitlin Clark is a machine! I’m looking forward to watching the Lady Hawkeyes do some damage to the LSU women later today (disclaimer, LSU beat my team the VT Hokies Friday night )
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote