Grease Seal Size/Specs for 2019 21C - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2022, 10:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Grease Seal Size/Specs for 2019 21C

I have a 2019 Escape 21C. Delighted with it. Now, after three camping seasons and about 8,500 miles, I think it's time I check/repack the bearings. A mechanic friend has agreed to help me and indicates that our needs will be grease and grease seals. I'm a bit confused as to how to determine the specs/size of the grease seals required. The Dexter Operation Maintenance Service Manual lists several, drive by brake size. Again, unclear on how to determine the brake size. Any help is much appreciated. Safe travels. Henk
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Your seals are Dexter Fusion 010-019-00 (part number)
The brake size is 10 by 2. 1/4 The 10 is the drum diameter and the 2.25 inches is the width of the shoe.
For Grease I have used Lucas Red and Tacky, Lucas extra duty and the Dexter Branded Wheel bearing grease.
The seals are for either easy lube axles or standard bearing greasing. The break part numbers vary depending upon whether you have never adjust (self adjusting) or conventional adjustment with the star wheel driven expander.

I get my parts from Midwest Wheel Inc. They will take internet orders. I have done business with them in Cedar Rapids for 35 years.

Iowa Dave
Old 09-02-2022, 11:42 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm sure the factory, Dustin in parts could help......
Old 09-02-2022, 12:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Are they the same for a 2016 E19?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Your seals are Dexter Fusion 010-019-00 (part number)
The brake size is 10 by 2. 1/4 The 10 is the drum diameter and the 2.25 inches is the width of the shoe.
For Grease I have used Lucas Red and Tacky, Lucas extra duty and the Dexter Branded Wheel bearing grease.
The seals are for either easy lube axles or standard bearing greasing. The break part numbers vary depending upon whether you have never adjust (self adjusting) or conventional adjustment with the star wheel driven expander.

I get my parts from Midwest Wheel Inc. They will take internet orders. I have done business with them in Cedar Rapids for 35 years.

Iowa Dave
I assume they are, but am I correct?
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
19 seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I assume they are, but am I correct?
Yes they are . That is the same seal on at least back to the 2010 19. We had one of those.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I just repacked my bearings and replaced seals on my 2017 E19. I purchased the trailer from the original owner who didn't use for 2 years, so next to no mileage. I would think he had not touched bearings since trailer was new. I was just considering the Easy Lube but thought I should look inside to determine if all is okay. When examined I saw the axles were loaded to bearing caps with clean red grease. Unfortunately, 2 of the seals were just showing signs of letting grease past and it was creeping down the inside of brake shoes. I just caught it in time since none of the shoes had grease on them. Since the axles were heavily lubed I have to think someone had used the Easy Lube approach. Happy that I did the job and the added plus is now I know how to tackle bearings on the road. Spares and tools in a box to travel with me.

Regarding seals the Dexter ones appear Chinese made if that matters. I bought a proper seal puller and it took puller and rubber mallet to get them to budge. There are other options for good quality double lipped seals for the 3500 lb axles.
Attached Thumbnails
0-8.jpeg   0-9.jpeg  
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 07:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
One of the benefits from doing the bearing service at least every two years is the rear seal will pull out easier. Can be a lot of heat back there and the grease seals can get a bit cooked and be difficult to pull.
Old 09-02-2022, 07:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
I'll post my bearing size chart, click once to enlarge it and click a second time to expand some more. The chart has seal numbers for National Seal (a Timken company) also.

I created this in Word and also have a PDF version but I do not know of a way to upload them to a forum, so here it is in pic form.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
0wm13-Microsoft_Word_-_Table_of_Trailer_Bearing_Part_Numbers_1.jpg  
Old 10-13-2022, 05:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2011
Perfect
pekemog741 is offline   Reply With Quote