Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter

I wanted to let you know that we had a server glitch today that caused some folks to receive an wrong password notice when they tried to login.
It should be resolved now. It was entirely a goof on our part and you should be able to login now. I apologize for any inconvenience.

If you need to reset your password (even though you saw that message in error) and need help, please hit the contact link at the bottom of the page to reach the help desk (response may take a few hours). Sorry about the snafu...

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yeah, there was a moment there when I could not get my fiberglass trailer fix, with both this site and FGRV down at the same time. Was not too worried though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks for letting us know. Oftentimes, folks think they've done something wrong, or it's their internet service provider. Nice to know it was neither
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Another issue I come across from time to time is actually finding the site. I believe this to be a Google issue rather than with the forum. I am in the habit of typing Escape into the Google search bar which then brings up links (most of the time) to the 4 sites I visit regularly. This site the Fiberglass RV site, Fiberglass Trailers for Sale Canada and the ETI site. Occasionally, such as this morning some of these sites do not appear and I have to make a more specific search such as including the word Fiberglass or Trailers or even Community in the Google search bar. This is not so much an issue for me as I know how to get there eventually, but I wonder about visitors, specifically those looking for the classified ads. Any idea how visitors find this site the first time?
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Why not bookmark the forum and place it in the bookmarks toolbar?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 9.33.03 AM.png  
Old 10-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #6

Glenn its not me I am wondering about. My system works for me. I just wonder about people just setting out. The one person who may want to purchase our trailer hasn't found this site yet.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #7

I expect they just Google something like "small fiberglass trailers" and stuff turns up. Google knows
Old 10-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
Another issue I come across from time to time is actually finding the site. I believe this to be a Google issue rather than with the forum. I am in the habit of typing Escape into the Google search bar which then brings up links (most of the time) to the 4 sites I visit regularly.
A more common, and probably more effective, method is to let your browser suggest your recently or commonly visited sites - that's not dependent on any search engine. This works with common browsers (Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc).

I understand that Gerri's point was that Google may not consistently show the Escape Forum as a top match for "Escape". Given that "escape" is a common English word, used for many purposes and thus in many websites, it would be surprising if this forum were the top match. I just tried a Google search for just "escape", and ETI's site came up in the second page of results, with this forum in page 4; I don't think that's unreasonable. I agree that a new person looking for information about Escape travel trailers would likely put "trailer" or even "RV" in the search; both lead immediately to the ETI site and this forum, and I would be surprised if that changed.

Suggestions offered by a Google search bar (which is simply that address bar in Chrome) should be for common searches starting with what you typed in. Since the public's interests change, those suggestions will (and should) change. Just "Escape" is likely to correspond to huge numbers of searches for other topics, such as the Ford Escape.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #9

Brian,

What you get in a search and what somebody elsewhere get in a search is determined by previous searches, as well as by the key words. Google knows everything.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I expect they just Google something like "small fiberglass trailers" and stuff turns up. Google knows
Glen, just for fun I searched "small fiberglass trailers" in Google and this site did not come up. In the first 4 pages that is. ETI did. I realize this is only an issue for me. I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to sell our trailer. I need to get into the heads of potential buyers and find out how they look for a trailer.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Since I read a number of RV forums, I have a folder in my menu bar listing them, and open them all as tabs (one click for all of them). As long as I read them once a week or so, I remain logged in to all of them. This is with Safari - don't know if it works for all browsers.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Interested parties would google "travel trailer" or some such when Ford Escapes come up. Happened to me many times.
As far as getting on this site though for me, I do the same as Glenn.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:55 PM   #13

Gerri,

There are thousands of companies and individuals trying to outsmart Google and get to the top of the first page.
They haven't a chance. Google is too smart for that.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Gerri,

There are thousands of companies and individuals trying to outsmart Google and get to the top of the first page.
They haven't a chance. Google is too smart for that.
Hi Glenn, this Mark, Gerri is at the pool. If you pay Google enough money they will put you on the right side of the page. Pay more and your ad will show up on every page you visit etc. etc., but we digress or are we morphing.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:19 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Glen, just for fun I searched "small fiberglass trailers" in Google and this site did not come up. In the first 4 pages that is. ETI did. I realize this is only an issue for me. I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to sell our trailer. I need to get into the heads of potential buyers and find out how they look for a trailer.
You sell by posting on all the free all molded towable forums you can.. including CasitaForum and CasitaClub and www. fiberglass-rv-4sale. com of course.

There's at least 8 different all molded towable Facebook pages too, including the Escape Trailer Industries Fan page (https://www.facebook.com/EscapeOwnerX3). While someone with a Boler may not be interested in an Escape, there's a possibility they know someone who is!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You sell by posting on all the free all molded towable forums you can.. including CasitaForum and CasitaClub and www. fiberglass-rv-4sale. com of course.

There's at least 8 different all molded towable Facebook pages too, including the Escape Trailer Industries Fan page (https://www.facebook.com/EscapeOwnerX3). While someone with a Boler may not be interested in an Escape, there's a possibility they know someone who is!
Thanks Donna, we are on the fiberglass-rv-4sale Canada site (they won't let me use the US part of the site). This particular ad is being viewed over 100 times a week. And somebody (probably Tammy) has us listed on the facebook site you mentioned.
I will look into the others.
Thanks again
Old 10-31-2014, 02:50 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
What you get in a search and what somebody elsewhere get in a search is determined by previous searches, as well as by the key words. Google knows everything.
Yes, the results are affected by history (yours and others'), but are not limited by it. Google knows your history with them, but not what you are thinking (yet ) Even with my history of searching for "escape" only in the context of the Ford Escape and Escape Trailers - but having done both of those - Google results show much more than those two subjects, and don't show those ones first. So,
  • Using the browser history - which really is your history and not a search result - is a much more effective way to get back where you were.
  • Anyone searching for "escape" should reasonably expect to find much more than Escape travel trailer matches.

Quote:
Glen, just for fun I searched "small fiberglass trailers" in Google and this site did not come up. In the first 4 pages that is. ETI did.
This is one reason that web site design includes making the site match the target audience's search criteria, and Google's indexing logic. Perhaps ETI did some work to ensure that shoppers for "small fiberglass trailers" would find their site, but the Escape Forum operators did not. Perhaps it's just that the ETI site mentions "fiberglass" and "small" more prominently.

It makes sense for ETI to want to be easily found by anyone looking for a small travel trailer. I'm not convinced that there is any benefit to this forum of being easily found by someone who does not include "escape" in the search.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Since doing a lot of research on major appliances on line, I'm now targeted by all kinds of adds from Home Despot to Swears.
I have never had trouble logging in... as I never log out!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Another issue I come across from time to time is actually finding the site. I believe this to be a Google issue rather than with the forum. I am in the habit of typing Escape into the Google search bar which then brings up links (most of the time) to the 4 sites I visit regularly. This site the Fiberglass RV site, Fiberglass Trailers for Sale Canada and the ETI site. Occasionally, such as this morning some of these sites do not appear and I have to make a more specific search such as including the word Fiberglass or Trailers or even Community in the Google search bar. This is not so much an issue for me as I know how to get there eventually, but I wonder about visitors, specifically those looking for the classified ads. Any idea how visitors find this site the first time?
Yeah. Type in escapeforum.org in the browser's address bar and hit enter. No search engine required.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... Since doing a lot of research on major appliances on line, I'm now targeted by all kinds of adds from Home Despot to Swears.
I have never had trouble logging in... as I never log out!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
First point
Try booking a cruise!

Second Point
Thanks Alf. I never log out either. You've help answer one of the age old questions. If you don't log out does the "currently active users" list always have you listed? You're not there right now so I guess it doesn't. Good to know.