Repair in Edmonton Propane smell - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2021, 07:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 2017
Repair in Edmonton Propane smell

First camping trip of the year at Elk Island Park and it was fabulous. A few wrinkles ironed out and a couple of new wrinkles. Our Toyota Highlander battery died on us but was able to get it replaced.

The other wrinkle was the smell of propane and a very low flame on the stove. Would like to take it in to have some look at it. Any recommendations for Sherwood Park or Edmonton? Thanks
deb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Not Woody's RV. Long story, which I'm not going to share.

Any RV retailer with a service shop likely has a long waiting list, so you might be better off with one of the mobile RV repair businesses. I have used Mobile Max before, and received good service.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
First camping trip of the year at Elk Island Park and it was fabulous. A few wrinkles ironed out and a couple of new wrinkles. Our Toyota Highlander battery died on us but was able to get it replaced.

The other wrinkle was the smell of propane and a very low flame on the stove. Would like to take it in to have some look at it. Any recommendations for Sherwood Park or Edmonton? Thanks
if its the suburban, there's a number of threads about this issue. Read carefully and be careful.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If it is true that they have a 2017 then that is before the flush mount stove with the loose nuts etc.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Any RV retailer with a service shop likely has a long waiting list, so you might be better off with one of the mobile RV repair businesses. I have used Mobile Max before, and received good service.
I agree with Brian on this. Most RV shops have long wait times. On my current trip I had a refrigerator problem (on Propane, which I use when traveling) and did not have the necessary tools. It was late in the day and called a mobile RV repair service. They were there the next morning and corrected the problem. The local RV shop was booked out over a month.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:39 AM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
The low flame on the stove was our first warning. I looked below the stove while the flame was on and there was a brief explosion in my face. I singed my eyebrows and some of what is left of my hair on top.

Open the windows of the camper and let air exchange for an hour. Do you still smell gas? If not, you probably have a similar problem we have with our Suburban stoves.

You may want to read:
Odor from SDS2 cooktop
Propane explosion below cooktop
Suburban SDS2 LP Leak Cooktop Owners
Suburban SDS2 Cooktop - Tighten Nuts/Replace Pipe - LP Leak
Do You Have Loose Nuts - SDS2 Stovetop
Your problem is a low flame and you smell gas. That's why I'm suggesting you read the above threads. OTOH it could be something else since you probably don't have the same stove, but you never know until you find the culprit.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 06-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
If it is true that they have a 2017 then that is before the flush mount stove with the loose nuts etc.
Ah I missed that, unless they changed suppliers mid year, mine is an Atwood.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:20 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Ah I missed that, unless they changed suppliers mid year, mine is an Atwood.
The OP should have the Atwood DV20 (2 burner) or DV30 (3 burner).

This was the timing for the change to the dangerous Suburban SDS2:
"Effective April 1, 2018 Escape Trailer Industries will be installing a stainless steel 2- burner cooktop (Suburban SDS2 – RV) as their standard cooktop.”
Old 06-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #9

I agree with Perry, that the combination of a gas smell (suggesting a leak) and a low flame (suggesting a lack of propane supply to the burner) would be consistent with a leak between the stove's burner control and the burner itself. This could happen in any stove, for various reasons not limited to the issue with the infamous Suburban.

Of course, that's not the only possibility:
  • The gas smell could result from very incomplete combustion of the propane coming out of the burner - that would go with a poor flame (yellow rather than blue, etc).
  • The gas smell could be from a failed regulator (leaking through the diaphragm and out the vent) and the regulator failure could also cause low pressure and thus a low flame.
I'm sure there are more...
Old 06-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:

Thanks everyone for your posts! Greatly appreciated. We have booked an appointment with Mobile Max for middle of next week. We will update this thread with the results of Max's investigations.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your posts! Greatly appreciated. We have booked an appointment with Mobile Max for middle of next week. We will update this thread with the results of Max's investigations.
Max from Mobile Max tracked down the problem to a leak in the pipe to the furnace. Since he was unable to obtain a replacement right away, he capped off the pipe to the furnace for the time being until he can obtain the replacement part. Thanks again everyone for your input and for your suggestion to contact Mobile Max. I was very happy with his work.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Max from Mobile Max tracked down the problem to a leak in the pipe to the furnace. Since he was unable to obtain a replacement right away, he capped off the pipe to the furnace for the time being until he can obtain the replacement part. Thanks again everyone for your input and for your suggestion to contact Mobile Max. I was very happy with his work.
I'm glad to hear that he found it. At some point it would be interesting to see this piece of tubing, and where it was leaking - whether it was a construction error or damage in use, it might be something that people want to check for in their own trailers.

Tags
propane, repair