Advice for a newbie? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
there is a switch on the display that allows you to bypass, but I would never bypass if there is an error code, you can fry your electrical system. The bypass is used when hooked to a generator which has an "open ground" error code, so you know it is safe to bypass then.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 escape 21
Hi all! I love the electric option on the water heater, never used the outside shower (but not a bad idea for dishes!) but one thing I wish I had done was rotate the two burners to get more counter space becasue the space behind the burners are kinda wasted. We have a 21ft after having a Casita tow with a RAM Diesel.. G
covey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #43

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Things I am glad I got

1. Outside storage box - don't know how people do without it
2 . Outside shower - so many uses besides showering
3. Rotate stove - more counter space
4. Outside propane hookup - no annoying little tanks
5. Custom lino, fabric, counters - my lady loves it
Old 06-19-2015, 07:30 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
one thing I could have done without

On an impulse, we got a second antenna outlet for the TV, on the back wall of the fridge. We haven't used it yet, and I doubt we will. Oh well.

On the other hand, there is a post around here from Jon Vermilye suggesting that one get Escape to install a bit of conduit through the fridge compartment so that you can fish wires from the rear of the trailer to the front of the trailer. I wish I had done that. We have a Wilson trucker cell phone antenna, but I forgot to ask Escape to run the antenna wire to the front of the trailer. So I want to figure out a way to get that wire to the front of the trailer where I will install the amplifier, and the inside antenna.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
On an impulse, we got a second antenna outlet for the TV, on the back wall of the fridge. We haven't used it yet, and I doubt we will. Oh well.

On the other hand, there is a post around here from Jon Vermilye suggesting that one get Escape to install a bit of conduit through the fridge compartment so that you can fish wires from the rear of the trailer to the front of the trailer. I wish I had done that. We have a Wilson trucker cell phone antenna, but I forgot to ask Escape to run the antenna wire to the front of the trailer. So I want to figure out a way to get that wire to the front of the trailer where I will install the amplifier, and the inside antenna.
I'm confused Leon. Are you saying the trucker antenna is currently roof mounted on the back of the trailer and you want to move it to the front? Also, why would you need an inside antenna when you have a roof mounted one?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #46

The exterior roof antenna is fixed, where you want the interior cable hook up is not, thus you need to decide where you want the coaxial cable and 12v or 120v outlet to plug your tv inside the trailer. Some have opted for 2 places, front and rear, depending on the trailer model, for tv locations inside.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The exterior roof antenna is fixed, where you want the interior cable hook up is not, thus you need to decide where you want the coaxial cable and 12v or 120v outlet to plug your tv inside the trailer. Some have opted for 2 places, front and rear, depending on the trailer model, for tv locations inside.
Well yes, of course the TV Antenna is fixed. The part I didn't understand was "We have a Wilson trucker cell phone antenna, but I forgot to ask Escape to run the antenna wire to the front of the trailer."
Old 06-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #48

Sorry Bob, I thought you were talking about televisions not cell phones.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Well yes, of course the TV Antenna is fixed. The part I didn't understand was "We have a Wilson trucker cell phone antenna, but I forgot to ask Escape to run the antenna wire to the front of the trailer."
The Sleek unit inside the trailer is supposed to be some distance from the outside antenna. We had planned on having the Sleek up front but forgot to have ETI pull the cable through to the front. Turned out the Sleek works fine in the back located under the antenna. Conduit would be a good idea regardless.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The Sleek unit inside the trailer is supposed to be some distance from the outside antenna. We had planned on having the Sleek up front but forgot to have ETI pull the cable through to the front. Turned out the Sleek works fine in the back located under the antenna. Conduit would be a good idea regardless.
Yeah, ours also works fine in proximity to the antenna.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Two cents: Get the EMS. The two way water heater is a nice to have, not a must have. You don't need an inverter unless you 1) boondock and 2) have ac appliances you want to run when you do. Dual 6v batteries means you'll have a little more amp hours when you're not hooked up and are using electricity. Not a must have but we like the option. Then again, we went solar. If you're getting solar, it makes sense to have the dual 6's.
From our experience during the last eight months a single group 29 12V more than does the job. While technically it may make sense to have dual 6V for more storage capacity for the solar, we've found that it never drops below 3/4 charge- and then only for a few hours. Also you get extra storage inside the dinette seating area where the batteries are stored with easier access.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
In finishing our build sheet we loaded it up pretty good saying better to have and not need than need and not have. One thing we didn't plan on getting but threw in at the last minute was the stereo. The favorable exchange rate allowed for a few extras. We protect our electronics at home with a surge protector so I would do it on the road also. As others have said, the storage box is a must. Plus it does double duty and acts as a rock shield. What we didn't get was the 3 burner stove, oven, screen room, additional front window, and custom formica and fabric. We were very happy with the colors ETI has standard. Just remember, the build sheet will be due sooner than you think. Loren
Wish we'd done the oven now that we have a full-size TV; also having had the stock fabric I would say definitely upgrade. It's ok; the formica is fine- but the fabric is going to be on all your valences too. Am a little surprised ETI hasn't "refreshed" the stock fabric after so many years.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
From our experience during the last eight months a single group 29 12V more than does the job. While technically it may make sense to have dual 6V for more storage capacity for the solar, we've found that it never drops below 3/4 charge- and then only for a few hours.
True, which is why I think dual 6's are a nice to have, not a must have.

Quote:
Also you get extra storage inside the dinette seating area where the batteries are stored with easier access.
True, for a 21. The batteries are in the storage box on my 19.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:01 PM   #54

.....OP getting a 21.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:08 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
.....OP getting a 21.
Well yeah, but I can only think in 19...
Old 06-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
I'm confused Leon. Are you saying the trucker antenna is currently roof mounted on the back of the trailer and you want to move it to the front? Also, why would you need an inside antenna when you have a roof mounted one?
The trucker antenna is the outside antenna. I didn't get a sleek cradle. I got one similar to this amplifier. I would like to have the inside antenna near the front of the trailer, and then it could be used to improve the cell signal even when driving. Also, it works for multiple cell phones. Hope that makes sense.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #57

That's the type we have as well and it is more versatile than the sleek cradle IMHO. Sometimes I move it from the car to the trailer and place the mag-mount antenna onto a 3" washer I attached to the rear roof area with silicone. Just step up on the bumper to attach then run the skinny wire into one of the rear windows. Have an ac cord for it as well to use on inverter when amp is back there as I have no 12V receptacle(yet).

That inside antenna(candy bar) won't work for phones in your car when left inside the trailer- it is too far away. When the holes get drilled for the solar panel kit I am probably going to have a small piece of conduit rigged in if possible to feed antenna wire through it.

Tags
advice, build sheet, wish you didn't have, wish you had