Advice; working on our 17B build sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2018, 09:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 17B
Advice; working on our 17B build sheet

We'd love any input on options, etc as we finalize over the next month. Exterior fridge fan? (definitely planning the bigger fridge). Thinking about deleting the range hood....thoughts? Is it that helpful? The one in our old Scamp stuck out over the sink in the way and we took it out some time back.

Also having trouble finding good options for a different upholstery fabric via Sailrite.com and JoAnns fabric stores etc here locally. Any suggestions? Foot flusher seems excessive but we're hearing people say they really like it. We're planning for the storage box & will load bicycles in back so high brake lights are on the list.

We were sucked in by the Nov delivery discount. Now hoping we have a really mild early winter to drive out from Missouri. Best winter routes?
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 17a - now sold
Hello, and welcome to the forum! We have had our 17A for about a month now, and have not regretted eliminating the range hood - the kitchen feels a bit less constricted, and it was replaced with an additional light (like the one over the sink, so it is nice and bright. (Of course, we have to remember to provide some extra ventilation while using the cooktop, but for the most part we are outside cooking where it is much more fun to be messy!) I am quite glad we ordered the bigger fridge - surprised how great it works on propane - and then all our food isn't jam-packed in there - better air circulation. Can't speak to the exterior fridge fan, we didn't get that. Regarding fabric, Hobby Lobby has a good selection too - it is challenging to pick a fabric on-line. As many others have remarked, and I agree, the outside storage box is very handy, and very well made.
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I too have had my 17a about a month. I opted for stainless range hood and like it. I don’t find it intrusive visually or physically. I found both of my fabrics at fabrics.com at a much more reasonable price than at sailrite and a better selection than Joann. They sent it directly to ETI. There was a customs charge of about 30$ which escape added to my bill. The time frame was not overly long. I think the kitchen window is great and the extra insulation in the walls makes a bigger difference than expected in temps both warm and cool. Also in noise. Any other specific questions I’d be happy to answer.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:11 AM   #4

Trailer: August 2017 17b
I don't find the range hood obtrusive either, but am only 5' 4"...that may make the difference.

I wish I'd figured out about getting ETI to install a port for portable solar....both for parking in shade, and at times, simply wanting additional solar. Yet am VERY glad for the roof solar.

Decided not to get built in microwave, and am enjoying having the cabinet space - more the placement of the cabinet, perhaps, then the space - I am impressed by how much space is in my 17B, and how well the layout is designed!

I never found a fabric I particularly thought "Wow! That's it!" So I opted for a custom Formica - knowing I'd never change it... figuring I could always re-cover cushions and valances, if I ever found something worthwhile.

Have fun!
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 17B
Thanks everyone for the input/ideas. Our D- day is tomorrow and we think we are ready. We added a couple extra outlets plus drops in cabinets in case we want to add something later. Fabric came from JoAnn Fabric during their half off sale. Since UPS missed their deadline commitment, shipping should end up being free, which doesn't hurt our feelings. We kept the range hood since we didn't add a sink window. And last minute decision to go 2-way with water heater just because "why not". We were a little concerned about the awning anyway & decided to go with both changes for 2019....framed thermal windows & Carefree awning. Having the legs obstruct the window is a bummer but we understand the rear passenger is a slider and the front opens a tiny bit even with the (down) leg in the way. I guess we will try out sleeping on the bed/cushions on the trip back to MO and decide whether to switch them out to a more permanent sleep set up since we know it will stay as a bed/nest.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote