Almost Done - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Almost Done

Well I've been lurking here long enough and it's time to say hi! And thank you! for all of the helpful information I have found on this forum. My wife and I put our deposit down last year and we have been quietly waiting for our delivery date to arrive. It has been a long summer but we are finally on our way to pick up our new 17B. I think the hardest part of the wait was the option deadline. We knew what we wanted but as the deadline drew near we started to second guess ouselfs. That where this forum came in really handy. It's nice to see other peoples opinions on how useful certain options are. In the end we added LED lighting and a second set of brake lights before the deadline.
Now it's just a matter of adapting to pulling a larger trailer. I've had a small utility trailer before but nothing this big.
Thank you again for all of your advice and insite on these trailers.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Congratulations on your new 17B! Hope you'll post photos -- always love to see "cousins!!!"
Old 08-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Congratulations, Weezy, you're gonna love your new 17B and towing it will be easier than a utility trailer.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Congratulations Rick!

As far as size goes, you'll adapt to the 17b very quickly. By any RV standard, these trailers are tiny, and very easy to tow.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:48 PM   #5

Thanks! It will be nice to have it hooked up and be able to travel at our own pace. Been on the road the last two days but will be in the lower mainland tomorrow.
Rbryan4 where do I know you from? I've been trying to figure it out but can't put the peaces together.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
Rbryan4 where do I know you from? I've been trying to figure it out but can't put the peaces together.
As far as I know, we've never met. I guess it's because I used your name? No, I don't have ESP. Its in your profile.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:14 PM   #7

Fair enough. I was pretty sure that no one I know had an escape but I couldn't figure out how you knew my name.
I'm easily confused
Old 08-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #8

Well we have had our 17B for a week now and we are very happy. We have been camping in it since we picked it up and have only had a couple problems. Most of them operator error. Once I got used to it towing was very easy. The gas mileage takes a bit to get used to but was not unexpected.
After a week we agree that the 17 is perfect for us. We keep
The main dinett made for our bed and use the two seater up front for eating ( only if it's cold or wet. We spend most
Of the time outside ). I think the only thing I would change is maybe adding an exterior hatch to the space under the passenger side main dinett seat. But that's more of a wish than a deal breaker.
We love our new escape
Old 08-26-2015, 09:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
I think the only thing I would change is maybe adding an exterior hatch to the space under the passenger side main dinette seat.
Yes, when the main dinette is setup as a bed all of the time it is a real pain to get into that space. I would worry that an exterior hatch would leak so I'm trying to find an inside solution. The flip up extension beside the sink becomes the next pinch-point as I can't tilt up the whole 'mattress' mass of 4 cushions because it won't clear the extension.

I've picked up some parts to see if there is another way of attaching the extension leaf. I feel that if I can remove that obstacle it might be as simple as a sheet of quarter inch plywood and some piano hinges to be able to tilt up the whole 'mattress' as if it was one.

it'll take a while to figure out...
Old 08-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Well we have had our 17B for a week now and we are very happy. We have been camping in it since we picked it up and have only had a couple problems. Most of them operator error. Once I got used to it towing was very easy. The gas mileage takes a bit to get used to but was not unexpected.
After a week we agree that the 17 is perfect for us. We keep
The main dinett made for our bed and use the two seater up front for eating ( only if it's cold or wet. We spend most
Of the time outside ). I think the only thing I would change is maybe adding an exterior hatch to the space under the passenger side main dinette seat. But that's more of a wish than a deal breaker.
We love our new escape
Welcome.
Happy to hear you're enjoying your 17B. I had two hatches placed in the front on either side for that very purpose. It comes in very handy for the hitching and unhitching items (chocks, equalizer lever bar etc.) However, the box was not available at the time. (The covers are also hidden under the front snap-on rock guards.) If I did not have that done, I would have considered doors on the front dinette fronts. Perhaps you could find a place/person who might do that for you.
I know someone enlarged their hatch opening a while back and gave the description of how they did it on this forum. I want to say it was Jim Bennett, I cannot be sure.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Although you titled this thread as "Done", it is just the beginning, now the fun starts. You are never done with your Escape, you can always find something to change or add that will make it a little better. Just today I added an adjustable LED light with night light option. Tomorrow I'll find something else to "fix"
Old 08-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
True words.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just today I added an adjustable LED light with night light option.
This sounds interesting. What make/model?
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:44 PM   #14

I like the LED night light idea too.

I also removed the counter extension. It made making the bed more difficult as well as being in the way of whoever slept on that side.

For some reason I assumed the access door would be on the side of the trailer. But now that you mentioned it I did see an older 17 at Escape that looked like it had an oval panel riveted on the front of the trailer where the vinyl protectors snap on.

I also wanted to avoid putting too many holes in the water proof shell

It's been almost two weeks now and it still works perfect for us. We did however replace the cushions with a one piece foam mattress. I look forward to putting the cushions in the house. I'm tired of moving them about when we camp.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:47 PM   #15

I'm also thinking of re installing the counter extension beside the two person dinet at the front. It would however cover the USB charging ports when it's down. We'll see.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We sleep with our heads on the passenger side of our 17. I'm on the outside and my feet go under the counter extension.
I can reach up and turn up the thermostat while still under the covers. When the trailer is warm, I'll leap up briefly and put the coffee water on. The Melita thermos and filter, cups etc. are all prepped, some on the counter extension.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #17

Hmmm some good ideas there. We sleep the other way as the counter is a convenient place to put eye glasses ect. As well you can keep an eye on the door if your the paranoid type.
It is a little chilly though when you have to reach up and down to turn the heater on.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #18

Depends if you have a gutter to hang these on, but Rubbermaid makes several in different sizes and shapes, some plastic, some metal.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubbermaid basket 2.jpg   Rubbermaid basket.jpg  
Old 08-30-2015, 10:11 AM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Depends if you have a gutter to hang these on, but Rubbermaid makes several in different sizes and shapes, some plastic, some metal.
Hmmmm .......another good idea . Is that label at the end of the black one not removable ?
Old 08-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #20

Took me a couple years to remove the labels on the bathroom sink.
It peels off.