Aloha From Us Newbies - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA on order
Aloha From Us Newbies

We've recently relocated to Pahrump, NV from Kauai and are looking forward to picking up our 5.0 TA in late June and hitting the open road!!! All kinds of questions, but for now, THE ELUSIVE OVEN. Does anybody have or use the optional oven in the camper? Also we are in the market for a tow vehicle and are leaning towards Dodge 1500 Ram Diesel. Any thoughts?
We are very excited about this new adventure and picking up our camper in June and joining the Escape Trailer Owners Community.
Aloha Steve & Eileen
Hawaiian Escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Welcome to the forum. I get my 5.0TA in early June, to replace a Scamp 19 I sold. As to ovens, most people will tell you they never use them except as a breadbox. We ordered ours without. But if you like to bake.......
It depends on your likes and needs and the camping/travel style you envision.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Wifey likes to bake fresh rolls, bread, etc. I do Pizza. We didn't mind the loss of storage since she keeps stuff to bake with inside when it's not in use and there is so much more storage in our 21. Glad we got it.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
That's a really subjective question, many love their ovens and wouldn't be without, then some don't want one. We are of the later group, had one previously and never used it.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA on order
Mahalo for your quick response....I'm not a baker but I love to cook. Maybe all I need is a toaster or toaster oven...thanks again.
Hawaiian Escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
new Dodge diesel looks like a winner if you got lotsa $$$ to spend. but I guess that's true with ANY new pick-up. It's getting good reviews.

We use a Coleman stove oven and a cast iron dutch oven when the need arises for baking. The toasters takeup a lot of room and don't work very well on 12V! ;-)

steve
TV-ol' school E-250
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Welcome. Kauai to Nevada that is quite a change!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I pulled the following excerpt and photo from a post by Steve and Cynthia who have the oven in their 19:

We have the oven in our 19 and have used it numerous times with good results. But there are some limitations that you should be aware of...

- Vents back into the trailer at the back of the stove. No open windows but the ceiling fan and/or stove fan will help dissipate heat/fumes.

- MAIN ISSUE: The actual usable size is very small (see photo). You will not be able to store much in it nor will you be able to cook dishes in tall pans. The actual useable cooking height is just under 5". The burner is just under the metal piece with the holes (at the top of the 4.25") and why this is not closer to the bottom I have no idea. We have made meat loaf and pizzas w/o any problem. It is also a pain to light.

That said it is nice to have but not quite what I was expecting, at least size wise. If you get it just don't plan on storing much in it or cooking that Thanksgiving turkey!
Attached Thumbnails
oven.JPG  
Old 10-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't have an oven in an Escape but I have a similar unit in another RV. I agree with the assessment by Steve and Cynthia which is quoted above, and I'll note that almost any RV gas oven will likely be similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The burner is just under the metal piece with the holes (at the top of the 4.25") and why this is not closer to the bottom I have no idea.
The bottom space must be of a significant size to allow airflow for heat conduction from the burner to the rest of the oven cavity. Also, in the past gas ovens have been configured this way and food to be broiled (direct heat from above) was placed under the burner; however, I don't know if that is encouraged or even allowed with the oven used in the Escape.

If storing flat stuff (baking sheets? cutting board?) under the burner, be aware that anything there could damage the burner or (more likely) the pilot light assembly.

Ours has a taller working cavity, and we do store pots in it, but it is still small by the standards of a modern home oven.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Aloha Steve & Eileen, welcome to the site, and congrats on your new purchase.

The Dodge diesel as a tow will do a fantastic job.

I had an oven in a previous trailer for 11 years, and used it twice, so obviously chose not to have one in our current trailer. There are lots of other great methods to bake that don't take up (for me) valuable cabinet space, and as pointed out, the storage potential of the oven itself is extremely small. But, it definitely works great for some people.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
E Komo Mai!
I grew up on Kailua, Oahu and our second favorite thing to do besides going back "home" is to hop in our Escape and see the beautiful areas on the mainland. I'm sure you will love it. You'll get a lot of good info from the folks on this forum, too.
We stayed in Pahrump last spring on our way to Death Valley. Love the name of your town!
aloha,
Eric
Old 10-24-2014, 11:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Aloha,
I love the oven - warm coffee cake on a cold morning, brownies by the campfire, cookies, casseroles, etc. Haven't had a problem with the size. It does tend to be hot on the bottom so I got a pizza stone that I keep there. PE (Pre Escape) I did find other things to bake in like the Omnia oven and the Cobb cooker. Glad we got the oven. Good luck in your choices - it's all good.
Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We have always had a oven in our RV's . Would not be without . The one we have now in our Escape has nice features we didn't have before . Because we are trying to pack in lots of comforts in a smaller space the oven size is perfect . And it will work on gas for cooking if you are boondocking .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
moved the Ram posts to http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...00-a-4729.html
Old 10-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Aloha,
I love the oven - warm coffee cake on a cold morning, brownies by the campfire, cookies, casseroles, etc. Haven't had a problem with the size. It does tend to be hot on the bottom so I got a pizza stone that I keep there. PE (Pre Escape) I did find other things to bake in like the Omnia oven and the Cobb cooker. Glad we got the oven. Good luck in your choices - it's all good.
Kathie
I'm kinda sad I didn't get an oven... the NEXT best thing is to camp near ETI folks that have one. SCORE! Kathie is always cooking something in the oven and I get to enjoy her efforts!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
OK, don't laugh. We have a Weber Q100 BBQ grill which is used to do much of our cooking (probably 2 out of 3 nights. Breakfast is typically something quick like an English muffin or cereal with coffee. We are usually out sightseeing or hiking at lunchtime. So we mostly use the Weber. We have found that by heating it at the highest flame with the lid closed, we can bake in it, also with the lid closed. We have made coffee cake, corn bread, and brownies simply by following the recipe in the box. Maybe we have been lucky, but things seem to come out of the Weber as good as the home oven. Couldn't do a turkey in it but it does provide a baking method for the two of us. Granted it doesn't have the temperature control of an oven, but for some reason it seems to work adequately.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Would have to be a really tiny turkey for the ETI oven. Maybe a couple of Cornish hens instead.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Turkey breast good for two but I would brine it first
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:06 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Now I'm getting hungry...
Old 10-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Would have to be a really tiny turkey for the ETI oven. Maybe a couple of Cornish hens instead.
How about a spatchcocked (flattened) turkey, or at least chicken? The biggest limitation is height.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote