amp draw in storage ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 escape 21
amp draw in storage ?

We have a 2018 21 with solar and dual batteries. It's unplugged and the battery bypass switch is on. When I look at the info panel it shows anywhere from .0 to .3 amps being drawn at various times.. what would be using that power ? I expected it to always read 0.0. we have an inverter and perhaps that is the cause ... ? thanks.
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
We have a 2018 21 with solar and dual batteries. It's unplugged and the battery bypass switch is on. When I look at the info panel it shows anywhere from .0 to .3 amps being drawn at various times.. what would be using that power ? I expected it to always read 0.0. we have an inverter and perhaps that is the cause ... ? thanks.

Are you looking at the panel for the solar controller? If that is the case, what you are seeing would be the input from the solar to the battery. With the battery bypass switch set to 'off', the only thing connected to the battery should be the solar controller.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #3

thanks.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Don
Does that include the propane detector or is it “wired around” the switch?
Iowa Dave
Old 10-23-2020, 03:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Don
Does that include the propane detector or is it “wired around” the switch?
Iowa Dave

Dave, at least on my 2015 E17, the battery disconnect switch shuts down all 12V DC power TO anything, including the propane alarm.

Edit: I was curious, so, I checked at the front of the trailer, and with that switch off, I still have 12V at the charge line pin on the umbilical plug, and, more importantly, the brakeaway switch still has 12V to it, so, under tow, we always have that emergency power for brakes available.

(FYI: putting on my now retired work helmet: since the propane device has an alarm build in, it is a propane "alarm", rather than just a "detector". The same thing is true about our home smoke "alarms". Now, isn't that the most useful piece of pestering, nonsense trivia that you've heard all day?)
Old 10-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Alarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Dave, at least on my 2015 E17, the battery disconnect switch shuts down all 12V DC power TO anything, including the propane alarm.

Edit: I was curious, so, I checked at the front of the trailer, and with that switch off, I still have 12V at the charge line pin on the umbilical plug, and, more importantly, the brakeaway switch still has 12V to it, so, under tow, we always have that emergency power for brakes available.

(FYI: putting on my now retired work helmet: since the propane device has an alarm build in, it is a propane "alarm", rather than just a "detector". The same thing is true about our home smoke "alarms". Now, isn't that the most useful piece of pestering, nonsense trivia that you've heard all day?)
Well, alarm alert, detector I just can’t keep it All straight anyway. I was just wondering about it.
I am always plugged in to my 30 amp RV service here at home so I never worry about parasitic draws. Hope things are good with you and you’re enjoying your retirement.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #7

well I didn't think about the pig tail and breakaway switch but that got me thinking about the electric jack, which I wired to the connector box under the front of the frame. it had power so that's at least one small source. btw heading to ventura county next week. (but not with the trailer, unfortunately.) daughter lives there, having a grandson shortly. thx for the info.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
......... btw heading to ventura county next week. (but not with the trailer, unfortunately.) daughter lives there, having a grandson shortly. thx for the info.

Jim, you picked a good week for a Ventura County visit. The heat has subsided, and we're back to the usual morning fog and sunny PM's. Next week is a very mild east wind event, but nothing forecast for over 80°.

Dave,
We're going well. We actually did the garage clean/sort/get rid of stuff/etc. that we've talked about forever. Only 1 fishing trip: 5 days being watched over by Mt. Whitney 6000 ft. above us: only caught 2 browns and 2 rainbow trout, so we may try again next month (even if we have to use chains on the tow and trailer to get there!).
Old 10-23-2020, 10:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The breakaway system will have zero draw when not tripped, and the tongue jack will almost certainly have zero draw when not being operated - they don't have any electronics in them. Disconnecting the power from the propane detector/alarm is essentially the purpose of the storage switch; it exists to keep the battery from being discharged by these annoying little things that can't be turned off, and the detector is not needed while in storage.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amp usage, storage