Antenna expectations on a new 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Antenna expectations on a new 5.0 TA

We just completed our build sheet and wandered about the antenna system. Any word on its performance? Should I or shouldn't I add it to the order. Our system in our Casita didn't come close to our expectations.

Thanks for your comments
Ukulelemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulelemark View Post
We just completed our build sheet and wandered about the antenna system. Any word on its performance? Should I or shouldn't I add it to the order. Our system in our Casita didn't come close to our expectations.

Thanks for your comments
We have the Wineguard omni-directional antenna not the Jack . We always previous camping units had the Wineguard batwing which always worked great . Didn't know if this one would work well . Didn't get to use until this last Feb ,March and just last week . Works great . Very happy . I was concerned because it doesn't go up very high as the batwing did and it is not directional but we are very pleased . We dumped Sat . 4 years ago and use Wineguards at home 3 ft at peak of roof . We are next to hills and before hi def couldn't get anything especially channel 2 . We now get 30+ channels we want . So the answer is we would buy this again . Do not know if Jack antenna is any better .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulelemark View Post

Thanks for your comments
Hi: Ukulelemark... We have the Jack antenna on our 5.0TA now and had the Winegard Omni directional on our 5.0 previously. The Jack pulls in way more channels. Near Tampa we got 48 channels. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Ukulelemark... We have the Jack antenna on our 5.0TA now and had the Winegard Omni directional on our 5.0 previously. The Jack pulls in way more channels. Near Tampa we got 48 channels. Alf
I believe a lot has to do where your transmitting towers are and if signals are broken up by obstructions and weather etc. but you don't live there like at home . Channels can work great in one area and not somewhere else . We don't watch a lot of TV ,some programs ,news probably only at night and if weather was bad . Everyone needs to get want makes them happy . I will say being former for 14 years Direct TV and Dish 4 plus years the picture coming through was laser sharp with antenna . With HD you either get signal or not .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #5

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We have the Wineguard omni-directional antenna not the Jack . We always previous camping units had the Wineguard batwing which always worked great . Didn't know if this one would work well . Didn't get to use until this last Feb ,March and just last week . Works great . Very happy . I was concerned because it doesn't go up very high as the batwing did and it is not directional but we are very pleased . We dumped Sat . 4 years ago and use Wineguards at home 3 ft at peak of roof . We are next to hills and before hi def couldn't get anything especially channel 2 . We now get 30+ channels we want . So the answer is we would buy this again . Do not know if Jack antenna is any better .
Had the omni on previous 5.0, was please with performance. Also it was nice to not have to rotate to tune in different channels. We also watch movies when raining from a usb stick.

ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
I believe Alf may be referring to the channels he picked up when he was "camping" in my driveway. I have the mother of all antennas on mast at least 15 feet higher than the Jack antenna on Alf's trailer and his Jack antenna was the equal of my Winegard. After seeing that, I put the Jack on my build list.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:19 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
There are probably too many variables to give a straight answer to that. I think the Jack outperforms the Winegard, but it really depends on where you camp. In a few places in southern Utah and Arizona, we had no channels at all with the antenna.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Jack got over a dozen channels at our favorite campground where the Winegard on our Casita got 2.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I should probably clarify. The Winegard to which I referred is a mast mounted beam antenna for broadcast reception at my home, not the Winegard antenna typically installed on RVs. Alf's Jack antenna performed equally as well. The broadcast towers are approximately 40-45 miles from my home.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Thanks Carl, I think I'll add the Jack antenna as I've read positive reviews. We have a Sept 10 delivery set.
Mark
Ukulelemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
If you get the Jack, be sure and check it out well during your orientation. We didn't, and it has never worked right, (a problem with rotation). I emailed Escape but they didn't respond. I make do with the use of a screwdriver, and we don't usually use it much anyway. Someday I'll probably get around to opening it up and see if I can correct the problem - or maybe not.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
If you get the Jack, be sure and check it out well during your orientation. We didn't, and it has never worked right, (a problem with rotation). I emailed Escape but they didn't respond. I make do with the use of a screwdriver, and we don't usually use it much anyway. Someday I'll probably get around to opening it up and see if I can correct the problem - or maybe not.
Ours had trouble rotating as well. About the 7th or 8th day out, I shot a bit of silicone lubricant into the base on the roof, and it's worked well since. Don't know if that would help in your case. The rotator button/latching mechanism isn't the best of designs.