Any Leaks? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #1

Trailer: prospective buyer
Any Leaks?

Hello, I am new to this forum as we have been dreaming about making the leap to an Escape for a few years now. Has anyone ever had issues with leaking? Looking into so many different travel trailers only to have me running for the hills with all the issues and shoddy quality from other companies which is confirming why I only want an Escape.

Any problems? Thanks for your help~
Canadian Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Nope. Have had my 17 for 10 years with no leaks. Finally took it out to Escape to have them check the caulking and fix my Maxxfan. No reported issues.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #3

Thank you for the reassuring of no leaks~
Old 08-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and if there were any leaks, there are drain/weep holes to allow water to escape from the Escape!
Old 08-28-2018, 07:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Three years and no leaks. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:21 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Bathroom window leaking this past winter, needed to recaulk the black tank vent, my bad. Even with a fiberglass shell, you need to stay on your toes when it comes to caulking, unlike me.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #7

Thanks.... good to keep in mind!
Old 08-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
During a heavy rain yesterday I noticed a small leak around one of the bolts holding the backup camera in place. There was a bit of water in the storage compartment above the table. Looks like I will need to add some sealant.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Nope. Have had my 17 for 10 years with no leaks. Finally took it out to Escape to have them check the caulking and fix my Maxxfan. No reported issues.
While they where checking for leaks did they scrape the moss off your you.?
Old 08-28-2018, 11:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
After a problem-free year, when breaking camp this past Spring, my wife noticed a very minor leak under the galley sink where the hose nut on a water supply line to the faucet had worked its way lose (from road vibration?). I simply re-tightened the hose nut by hand about a quarter turn, problem solved.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Had a small leak on the original 9" bathroom vent, but used it as an opportunity to upgrade to the bath fan with ETI's kit. The bath fan is standard now. Also had a tiny leak on the front window which was caulked and is no longer an issue. I'm talking drips here. I doubt you will hear about any major leaks. That is the advantage of a full fiberglass shell. Keep an eye on the caulking around any penetrations and the trailer will last generations. Did you see the pictures from the Boler event? Those trailers were introduced 50 years ago.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:00 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Leaks

Like most owners, we have had very few problems with leaks on our Escapes. Potential owners of about any piece of recreational equipment should understand that everything comes with ongoing maintenance requirements to maintain appearance, performance and usability. Caulking inspection is one of these maintenance items. It is my opinion that owners can view maintenance in three ways. If it’s drudgery then move to level two and hire or get someone else to do it. For many owners though, it’s a pride of ownership matter similar to waxing a car or truck and gives us satisfaction, complete knowledge of the components involved and maintains our investment. One day in the distant future the then current owner can attend the Escape 50th Rally with a trailer “ that really looks great, somebody must have really cared.”
Iowa Dave
Old 08-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #13

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
When I was driving for several hours through a very heavy rain storm in Texas this past spring, I found water in the very upper cabinet next to the fridge. My paper towels up there were rather wet. (This upper cabinet isn't installed any longer in the 21s.) Figure some rain came in through the nearby vent. Normally I wouldn't drive in that heavy of rain but there really wasn't anywhere to pull over and I kept thinking I'd drive out of it. Nope, turns out I was going in the same direction as the storm. Oh joy.

Anyway, not had any problems in that area since.

If you're thinking about a 21, you will want to put something like a folded up washcloth under the bathroom vent handle as it has a tendency to come open while going down the road. Something about the position of it relative to wind relative to some scientific stuff. I had problems with that until I asked about it here and someone said they stuff a washcloth up there. Works just fine now and I don't have it open up while traveling and then have water come inside (when it's raining while traveling).
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote